Citadel Broadcasting

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

If you strive to make a living out of radio, Citadel is probably not the place to start

Current Employee - Programming in Binghamton, NY
    Current Employee - Programming in Binghamton, NY

I have been working at Citadel Broadcasting

Pros

The people are great to work with, and the station managers are the best. Everyone is fairly professional, and there is a tight knit community on the programming side of things. When something needs to be done, the staff comes together to get it done. If you like radio, the job can be satisfying, as with it being a smaller market, there arn't contant pressures that you would find in a larger market. Citadel is a big part of the community, and you have your chance to be a part of that in making a big difference in your community.

Cons

The pay absolutely stinks. They expect full-timers to do everything, while the part-timers get left in the dust. The benefits and 401 (k) plans arn't very appealing. There really is no room to grow in the company, and being promoted takes so long, that most people eventually give up. There is a strong disconnect between sales, operations, and programming. There are too many people who have full-time positions that don't deserve them becuase of their incompitence. There is a lack of leadership in upper management. Raises are never given. Communication is horrible in every aspect of the company. They expect way too much out of people who are payed poorly.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of your asses. You can't make money by cutting everything that radio stands for. You have a great group of people who are willing to work hard to make radio succesful, and you exploit that without proper compensation, perks, benefits, etc.

2. With the right direction we can rise back to our former glory.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Citadel Broadcasting

Pros

The best part about working for Citadel Broadcasting is that in our market we have the best stations to sell advertising on. We don't have any weak stations that we have to throw into the mix just to fill inventory. All of the production staff, PD's, jocks and support staff are wonderful. I couldn't say enough great things about them. That makes it easier to get up every morning and do my job.

Cons

Did downside of working for Citadel Broadcasting is dealing with the sales managers. For the most part we feel like they don't take time for the sales staff and when they do it's only to point out our mistakes. We are constantly loosing market share because they wont take our current market conditions into account and meanwhile inventory goes unsold. Rarely do we get a pat on the back when things go write but we get hour long lectures when they don't. I believe that most of us feel that we are not supported by our sales managers. When one or two reps aren't out there selling well than it most likely is a personal problem. When the entire sales staff is struggling than it's a management problem.

Advice to Management

If by senior management you mean our Market Management than I would spend more time with the staff and truely listen and find out where the "pain" is. Our perception is his reality.

3. It's time we start focusing on our entire company, instead of just our "key money makers".

Current Employee - Anonymous in Muncie, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Citadel Broadcasting

Pros

Citadel Broadcasting is an excellent company to work for in terms of company growth. Ownership of Citadel Broadcasting over the last few years has soared to new heights and has expanded the company to better the future (best example: purchase of ABC radio). I am happy to work for a company that always has interest in moving forward and "taking that next big step" to better the company and employees within the company.

Cons

My experience comes from a small market radio station owned by Citadel Broadcasting. I realize that my branch within Citadel is not a top priority station that is really going to "make or break" the company. However, for the longest time I felt as if we did not even belong to Citadel. The corporate advice or leadership was very little and did not seem to be on "their agenda" to improve the station. Recent happenings have since changed that mentality of upper management. I have been much happier to work for Citadel from a leadership standpoint within the last year.

The process of "creating a new road" and a new direction for my branch had been a long one. I realize this has been partly at the fault of the economy most recently, but none the less; A very lengthy process! The date of today is 11/06/08 and we have been without a complete programming staff since the middle of August. I from an employee standpoint have enjoyed new tasks and duties, but without compensation. I understand the process is not an easy one, but I have been someone who has tried to fight their way to future success with very little pay or recognition.

I feel that the average pay for the programming staff at my station is very upsetting, I didn't get into radio for the money, but it is sad when you are unable to move forward with your personal life because of being under payed. I'm not saying Citadel is an awful or evil company to work for by any means. I just feel as is my time with Citadel has been a long road of feeling unappreciated. It is sad to be doing many other duties and tasks outside your basic job title and still be considered "part time"! I'm not asking for a hundred thousand dollars a year, but it's sad when you can go flip hamburgers and probably be more financially sound.

One last item comes from an equipment issue. Again, working in a small market such as I do makes me realize to a point the lack of spending towards my station, but I feel it is wrong. The equipment we are able to use is (for the most part) outdated and can make simple tasks difficult and a waste of time. It makes for a difficult time when you are expected to perform and execute (sometimes as well as the bigger markets) with little or outdated equipment.

Advice to Management

My main focus is on "the process of change" and the lack of spending for smaller branches within Citadel. I would just ask that we continue to grow more as a crucial key to the companies expansion and not just "tossed to the side" when times are good.

5. Avoid this organization

Current Employee - Prefer Not to State in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to State in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Citadel Broadcasting

Pros

There are some very smart, capable people in the company, doing very good work with little or no resources. The company owns a few fine radio properties. Citadel's assets are undervalued, and at some point assets might be sold to a real operator with a clue.

Cons

No vision, no plan, no strategy, poor corporate leadership, lower-than-average pay, and stock price dropped below 20 cents this week. The company also just cut medical and vacation benefits.

Advice to Management

Give it up. Get out of the game.

6. Citadel needs to look at it's workers to succeeed

Current Employee - Programming in Ojus, FL
    Current Employee - Programming in Ojus, FL

I have been working at Citadel Broadcasting

Pros

Good facilities, local employees are very professional and good to work with. A family atmosphere.

Cons

No pay raise in the last 2 years, not even COL. We are here to feed Wall Street. Local management would like to do more for employees but are limited by the Mother Ship. You can give 110%, but you get much less in return. The employees work very hard, only to see the whole company is failing. No communication as to why, just more lashing out for sales....few rewards and recognition

Advice to Management

I don't see any paycuts at the top to help the falling stock price. It's all put on the backs of the employees and in letting facilities start to fall apart. Yes, times are tough for media advertising, but you can live on less. While everything I buy and consume has gone up dramatically, my pay hasn't. Over 20 years with the company and my pay is well below what most people make in this area.

7. Last Resort Citadel

Former Employee - On-Air Personality in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - On-Air Personality in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Citadel Broadcasting

Pros

Free stuff from promotions. The job itself had nothing good.

Cons

The managment, pay, hours, and there idea of whats fair business. They use employees and clients.

Advice to Management

Start looking at the stations individually. You cannot do everything the nationally and hope it works in every market. Also, don't let people go or hire new people just because there friends.

8. Citadel is not a healthy company.

I have been working at Citadel Broadcasting

Pros

Radio is an enjoyable environment to work in on most days. You get to work with intelligent people and meet interesting guests. The staff is usually very easy to work with and the environment is relatively low stress.

Cons

There appears to be a lack of corporate leadership and competence. It also seems like thing are run in a very cold and barebones approach to they way things are run. The CEO is making millions in bonuses while the company underperforms during tough times. Morale is nonexistent. This company has employees yearning to return to the days of ABC/Disney.

Advice to Management

Leverage the talent you bought and stop cutting corners. Find some ways to boost morale.

9. Citadel doesn't value the experience of its employees.

Former Employee - Accountant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Citadel Broadcasting

Pros

They have some of the best people working for them. The employees have innovative ideas and are flexible and good at coping with change and adapting to new situations. The staff in various markets are helpful to their counterparts in other markets. The staff in Las Vegas are very helpful as well.

Cons

The career growth potential is virtually nil. There is pretty constant turnover in certain areas. Management doesn't share information with employees. The benefits are not really comparable with their competitors. There doesn't seem to be good focus for the direction of the company. There is no set plan for training new employees.

Advice to Management

It would be a good idea to listen to the employees in each market. They have a lot of experience in their market and often know what works there and what doesn't better than you do.

10. Radio - a changing landscape

I have been working at Citadel Broadcasting

Pros

In our division of Citadel, are some of the top's in their position in the industry

Cons

money is very tight - that limits some of the programming options in front of us

Advice to Management

let the professionals do their jobs

11. Looks great from the outside, but once you're in - you're screwed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Citadel Broadcasting

Pros

In uncertain times, it is nice to have a paycheck... and that is exactly the ONLY reason why I show up to work for this company, a paycheck. I will admit that we get paid on time, the electricity bill at the station is paid as the lights always turn on, and the association with an ABC Radio Station (and the top station in the market) lends a level of importance and cache to the brand. Oh, and as they say, misery loves company, so it's great that everybody is miserable at the company!

Cons

Too many to list. But, the 25% mandatory reduction in pay that came last month probably stands out the most. What's worse, the station is one of the FEW in the group to be outpacing the market and hitting their revenue goals...so it was a little confusing to work for a successful station and yet be informed that your pay was getting cut. Outside of that, the utter lack of regard for employees or that the station's mission seems to be hinged on the "flights of fancy" of people seriously out of touch with reality.

Advice to Management

Stop screaming at people and taking three hour lunches while you micro-manage your employees to the level of a kindergarten being guarded over a tub of paste.

RSS Feed </> Embed