Citi

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.1 2,472 reviews

Citi CEO Michael Corbat

Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Citi generally has a good work-life balance for a financial services company(in 192 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home at least three times a week, was given praise for work from upper management(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • One of the greatest asset working here was the Work Life balance(in 90 reviews)

• Senior management continues to move jobs from NYC to Buffalo to save money(in 113 reviews)

2,472 Employee Reviews

Great place to work if you can put up with mediocre management

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Not as cut throat as other Wall St firms
    - Compensation is OK
    - Big place, plenty of internal opportunities
    - Global presence
    - Global brand recognition, a major plus when looking for work outside banking
    - New York Locations are amazing
    - Good work life balance

Cons- Management is extremely mediocre
    - Promotions are very unpredictable

Boring mundane repetitive work

Applications Development Intermediate Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Pros- very small pro: slightly more pay than average
    - good benefits package

Cons- this is NOT the place to start if you want to gain experience in software development

- you wont learn anything new here, code is all legacy, 10 years old, and I'm not exaggerating you will find youself getting stuck doing the same mundane tasks every day

- less than 5% of your job will be bug fixing development on shell scripting, java 5 the rest will be monitoring and maintaining market feeds

- senior developers close to management (or over 2-3 years service) will get the little amount of new "features" developed on old platforms

- you dont write full applications here you will have to wait on access request for weeks on end from deployment database frontend etc etc teams for minimal one liner changes

- constantly told "think of yourself as a banker here, not a software developer"
    - horrible americanised office culture that the financial people embrace is also forced on software developers
    - no bonuses or out of hours pay for long developer hours here, they are saved loudest and laziest bankers on the top level
    - 5am calls from teams in india singapore usa as brief as "fix this before maket opens at 6am, goodbye"
    - this bank received the biggest bail out in the world, and is know for being one of the most corrupt

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with interviewees what they are getting themselves into
    Listen to what a developer needs to do his job
    Allow a developer to work in the areas he/she wants to work

Great

ProsGreat benefits. Great working environment. Great salaries!!

ConsWork starts after 6:00 pm..

Advice to Senior ManagementThe favor their close friends.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

laid back, work/life balance, friendly people

Proswork/life balance, the culture is kind of laid back

Conslow morale in general, a lot of relocation and outsourcing

VP Application Development

Vice President Operations & Technology (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsCiti is large company and offers decent compensation package to employees. Dublin office has great facilities including on-site gym.

ConsExtremely political organisation where advancement is dependant on management and not necessarily personal ability. Project I worked on was mired in politics and was almost impossible to get anything done.

Good company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice work environment. Good organization.

ConsPay is not the best.

Citi Technology

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMany fields to choose from. Great mentor program for college grads

ConsThe longer you are with the company the lower your compensation will increase, no matter how good of a year end review you get. They believe they can always get new talent out of college for less money and everyone is expendable.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will only be successful if you surround yourself with experience. This is why Citi technology has a high turn-over of department managers. They cut experience to make their budget cuts for the big bonuses, but eventually get canned for failing to produce quality products.

Great Place to work!!!

Business Control Specialist II (Former Employee) Gray, TN

ProsOverall good company to work for. The C in Citi stands for change. Constant change but for the better. If you work hard they reward you.

ConsLower pay, but due to location.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire supervisors to meet goals as you do within operations.

Not sure I would go back there

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe salary is decent but most NY salaries are for the big banks.

ConsStill stuck in the 1980 office mentality. No opportunity for movement and if your boss finds out you're exploring other opportunities, they view it as a personal insult to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because a person has been around forever, this does not mean they have the skills to manage people.

Strong Technology Teams But Systemic Issues

ProsI want to be clear that for all my complaints below, Citi is a great place to work with terrific people. Yes there are problems, but the pros really do outweigh the cons!

Huge company provides tons of opportunity for lots of different roles and they generally encourage you to change positions every 2-3 years if feasible and there is generally room for both lateral and vertical mobility for both individual contributor and manager type roles. There is a ton of variety here and you can work hands deep in code for a team in Hong Kong or stay a mile high working on a project for the offices in New York - and you can frequently do it all from home (depending on the team).

Training and career development are a lifestyle here, with constant offers of paid-for training courses and opportunities to get industry certifications cheap (such as the PMP or others). There is also a lot of internal support structure to provide and receive mentorship.

A huge plus at Citi is the corporately accepting culture of people of "all walks," including people of any gender, sexual orientation, or other social descriptor. The benefits even extend to partners for situations in which states will not recognize a marriage, although I have not tested the efficacy of this myself.

ConsBenefits provide good coverage but the 401(k) options are surprisingly lack luster for a bank.

Work life balance is usually maintainable (as in, keeping it to 40 hours with minimal overtime), but there is a ton of pressure here to be "always-on," to the point that I know team members who never use all of their vacation days because they are practically afraid to be away from the office lest they fall behind on something.

The flip side is that, as it a huge financial company that impacts a whole mess of people, sometimes you really do have to be there at 11 at night or at 2 in the morning. It's just part of the job, but thankfully not often.

The biggest con is that those huge overtimes should be avoidable but middle managers are all but instructed to squabble and bicker about schedules and who is right about what project being important. I don't think I've ever been on a release where everything that was supposed to go in actually went in on time.

This isn't helped by the IM/Email culture of the workforce either. If you need something from someone at another Citi site, sometimes you can't just call them because they are in meetings all day and you'll go straight to voicemail. So you IM them and send emails and they might respond or they might ignore it because your high priority issue doesn't even register on their radar - to be fair, it may really not be a priority for them, but it causes people to feel frustrated and that can spread over to the other managers and developers unnecessarily.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to get scheduling for releases correct. I know the business ultimately dictates, but this is for them too. If we see a release is going critical, the answer can't be to just push people harder and cross our fingers every time; it has never worked for a single release I've seen! If we can't support issues, then just be willing to move them out! Plan the release with actual wiggle room for another project or something, don't just stuff it to maximum capacity and then throw another urgent item on last minute and expect things to test green.

Keep up the great work on community and policy culture, though. Citi is terrific in that regard!

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!