Citi

3.1 1,837 reviews

Citi CEO Michael Corbat

Michael Corbat

1,837 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Citi generally has a good work-life balance for a financial services company"
    in 151 reviews
  • "Allowed to work from home at least three times a week, was given praise for work from upper management"
    in 66 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very long hours, poor work life balance, some people can be very difficult to deal with"
    in 73 reviews
  • "Senior management not always coherent on message and lacking on strong leadership"
    in 86 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

private bank only

I have been working at Citi full-time

Prosprivate bank ops -
flexible
easy life work balance

Consbest if you don't have any career ambitions

Advice to Senior Managementmotivate employees -

Go elsewhere if you want job secuirty

Mortgage Default (Current Employee)
Irving, TX

I have been working at Citi full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent benefits, ample vacation, holiday, sick time, sufficient pay

ConsLayoffs at Citi have been constant for the past 10 years. I have worked in several different departments that all went through massive layoffs at some point. I just move around to avoid it but you can't run forever. The pay at Citi is ok but still below competitors and there is no such thing as a merit increase. No matter how great you are at your job you won't get a decent pay raise. Your manager will tell you how you exceeded expectations and give you a 2% raise. When you question it the response will be "well other people only got 1%" Management seems to live in fear of their bosses which leads to bad business decisions that only seem to affect non-exempt employees. Right now Citi is not a good place to work due to lack of job security and stagnant pay and almost no opportunity for advancement. Lateral job moves are always available but you will be stuck in the same pay grade.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease use better business practices that were in place in the past but discarded in favor of superficial changes that just make the company look better but really haven't made it a better company. Stop operating out of fear and causing havoc by constantly changing policies and procedures without so much as a word to the people that actually do the work.

relatively good company to work for.

Director (Current Employee)
Elk Grove, IL

I have been working at Citi full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood benefits, time-off policy, work-life balance

Consoffice culture: very laid back, people are not challenged

Advice to Senior Managementtoo many cliques. you have to be part of a clique to get anywhere..

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of room to excel, poor management will leave you wanting a better job. Good pay if you stick around long enough.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Citi full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAbility to excel and move around a huge company with over 250,000 employees. If you work hard (70 hrs/week) and get recognized by Senior Management than you will have the ability to be mentored and move around. There are some good leaders, you have to seek them out though. Good pay if you stick around, was making 95k after 6 yrs, up from original base pay of 50k when starting.

ConsYou will work long hours in order to excel, and work life balanced (although preached about) are scarce if you don't have the right management tackling problems correctly in order to automate. Over 6 years I had the ability to work with some excellent managers, but had more than my fair share of disappointments which I had to work around in order to be appreciated for skills and abilities. You will work with some great people (A+ Players) and a lot of not so great people, who are there to work and get paid. Can be a bit boring if you aren't working with people that want to excel, a lot of not so bright people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of simple improvements that can be made in order to get your talent on the right page. Lead by example and don't micromanage people. Your workforce needs to concentrate on the young talent and get rid of the old ideas that exist with previous management.

Securities and Funds Services Internship

Finance Summer Analyst (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Citi full-time for less than a year

ProsGood fellow intern classmates, good work/life balance (50-60 hours per week), good pay

ConsVery competitive, management hard to get a hold of, internal changes led to low retention rate to full time (about 40%).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire more than twice the number of interns you want to bring into full time positions

ok

Intern (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Citi as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood resources and opportunities to network. Great cafeteria. Interesting projects and opportunities for further involvement. Decent salary with benefits that make you want to stay.

ConsVery bureaucratic and difficult to navigate. Senior management not always coherent on message and lacking on strong leadership. Too many meetings that were not purposeful.

AML

AML Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at Citi full-time for more than 3 years

Prosdecent pay and opportunities to learn.

ConsNo work life balance (60-70 hours a week is the norm), poor capacity planning and clueless managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of squeezing the life out of your employees to produce numbers, be realistic. We are human beings for goodness sake! It also might be a good idea for managers to take a management training course or two

Analyst

Operations Analyst (Current Employee)
New Castle, DE

I have been working at Citi full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPays bills, good co-workers, decent cafeteria food

ConsNot enough pay, managers micro-manage

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micro manage

Good work life balance. Large organization with plenty of opportunity if you seek it out. Stuffy culture/atmosphere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Citi

ProsWork Life Balance
Plenty of opportunity throughout the org for new positions

ConsStuffy/Corporate culture
Political environment
Promote more from outside the org.

Working for a global bank offers many opportunities for staff

I have been working at Citi

ProsWorking for Citi teaches you how to prioritize many projects and work with tight deadlines

Conslong hours, no appreciation by management and morale is at an all time low

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!

Citi Videos

Citi – Why Work for Us?

​​Citi works tirelessly to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services. We strive to create the best outcomes for our clients and customers with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Citi reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Citi CEO Michael Corbat. All 1,837 reviews posted anonymously by Citi employees.