Citi

3.3
2,843 Reviews

Citi CEO Michael Corbat
Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Citi generally has a good work-life balance for a financial services company (in 230 reviews)

• satisfied work place environment with the ability to work from home (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work-life balance, but you could not expect such benefit from investment banking (in 117 reviews)

• Senior management continues to move jobs from NYC to Buffalo to save money (in 117 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company. Depends on the area and management.

Former Employee - Ops Support in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Ops Support in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I generally enjoyed working at Citi. I was in a business casual, semi-relaxed environment. The pay is decent.
    Coworkers on the teams were very helpful. Most of my coworkers worked together toward our goals. There were personal and group incentives.

I had wonderful managers except one. He eventually was fired for harassment but it took a very long time for the company to have enough evidence (I worked in a few different departments). The other managers were very helpful and supportive but they're under stress too. Orders come down on them from higher ups and then they are the ones who have to implement changes whether they make sense of not.

There were jeans badges you could purchase each month and the money went to a different charity each month. It was tax deductible, as well.

Cons

The jobs I had were high stress jobs. This was only because of the nature of the work and some of the jobs required being on the phone all day so, the actual work was constantly interrupted. The Ops Support division was the least stressful except for a couple duties I had to manage in addition to my core work.

Managers moved quite a bit and it was good sometimes, and not at other times.

Training (for me) was non-existent. I did a few side by sides and was through out into chaos (beginning of the mortgage meltdown). I realize that no company was ready for the regulations that would be coming down and then constant change. But the actual phone work, systems and other basics weren't covered to my expectations. It was extremely frustrating and actually took longer to grasp the job. Collections schedule was insane. 3 early mornings, 2 late nights and some Saturdays. Sometimes that day/night shifts were back to back. Yes, it's that way at most collections agencies due to call times allowed by law to contact customers. However, with some simple adjustments, east coast and west coast could have been given to different teams.

I believe the more someone is prepared and sufficiently trained (within a reasonably short time) , the less corrections there will be in the long run. I know everything can't be learned immediately but, there is a critical baseline that needs to be incorporated (including glitches in the systems). This should be shown to new employees by the best in the group who communicate clearly. Extra incentives for their proficient training for new employees is worth the cost.

Raises basically went away after a couple years except for a select few. It was clear that senior management dictated that the manager would have to choose who would get what little they were allowed to give despite reviews. One manager made it impossible in order to make her budgeted payroll look good (and probably get an incentive). We all knew but were grateful to have or jobs. I have no blame for the managers who had to do what they were required to do.

There were anonymous survey's about what needed to be changed by senior management. Citi was a huge corporation but I think it would've been more productive for senior management to know what's going on in the front lines in order to improve the process, employee moral and feeling valued.

No bad, but a lot of politics

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the people are great to work with

Cons

well it's a bank and it has not been good since the crash of '08

stop moving all jobs to Texas

Mortgage CSR

Current Employee - Mortgage Customer Service Representative in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Mortgage Customer Service Representative in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Citi full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits. Getting your foot in the door is pretty tough, unless you know someone working in the company

Cons

Pay is low when you first get your foot in the door for the amount of work you do.

Pay more to the people that actually do all the work.

Experience at Citi Mortgage

Former Employee - Vice President - IT Project Leader in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Vice President - IT Project Leader in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment, Telecommute opportunities, and Intelligent accountable staff. Recruit Well!

Cons

Mortgage biz not steady nor is their growth. Translates to poor salary increases if any. Less than standard of living.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Citi really cares about its employees. Citi offers health and wellness programs (we also have fantastic benefits). Loss mitigation and most mortgage positions offer bonuses starting at about 1000.00/ month and they do get higher depending on your work.

Cons

Some positions are very stressful, lots of layoffs (at least 30 per year). Very strict in regards to standards, you MUST meet them.

High Turn Over

Current Employee - Mortgage Closer in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Mortgage Closer in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent bonus structure and okay pay

Cons

High Turn over and inexperienced supervisors

Supervisors should be well trained

Great company

Current Employee - Project Manager in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promote within
    End of year bonus
    Great cafeteria
    Great people

Cons

Sometimes you run into "click" like groups

Demeaning

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got the needed job title to be able to move into a much better position in a different company.

Cons

People are treated like any other piece of office equipment. The only way to get advancement was to be liked by managers. Skills were not valued. I watched people who could do a terrific job get pushed aside because a lead did not want the competition. They had the ear of the manager and were able to say what they wanted, without regard to the truth. This really surprised me, I thought a place like Citi would have better HR/management safeguards in place.

Give your employees a place where they can be heard. The PVST is a joke, people can only produce what they have been given. The results/error reports are often skewed to favor or disfavor people. The feelings of powerlessness is prevalent with the system you have in place.

Good work experience but many layoffs.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and pay good.

Cons

Layoffs every year. Unstable future.

Great interview practice, no offer.

Current Employee - Technology Leadership Program in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Technology Leadership Program in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Citi full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone was very friendly and easy to speak with during the interview process. I will use the experience gathered in future interviews. I would have considered accepting if I had received an offer to Citi for the Technology Leadership Program.

Cons

I am not quite sure why I did not receive an offer. I am guessing it was due to the fact that I tried to make my comments concise during the group case interview and that they were probably instead looking for the more dominate speaker position.