Citi Reviews

Reset
3.5
Citi CEO Michael Corbat
Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Work life balance is recognized (in 230 reviews)

• Work from home- depends on your managers approval (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is non-existent (in 117 reviews)

• Pathetic Senior management in Risk Technology (in 117 reviews)

1. UAT/ BA Anayst

Former Employee - UAT/BA Systems Tester in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - UAT/BA Systems Tester in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi (More than 8 years)

Pros

great place to work, flexibility, great benefits,

Cons

Limited careers movement, must remain within same position for 12 months

Advice to Management

Get more from your employees, focusing on team building instead of Micro managing.

2. Document Processor

Former Employee - Clerk in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Clerk in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge Corporation with many departments

Cons

lack of advancement oppertunities within

3. Great entry level job

Former Employee - Mortgage Closer in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Mortgage Closer in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great entry level work for someone right out of college or who doesn't have college Experience but still has years of work experience

Cons

Mortgage industry is not something to stay in. Get in get out before you have too many years work experience and then you become stuck . Also layoffs happen frequently every 2 years or so in the industry as a whole .

5. Work Life Balance, best part of job

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi full-time

Pros

Work life balance is good. Hardly ever worked over time and had the opportunity to work from home office several days a week.

Cons

Poor executive management planning, ramp up highly for 2 years then have massive layoffs. Most companies do this with contract workers, but Citi does it with FTEs.

Advice to Management

I wold recommend keeping a smaller, well motivated workforce, and supplement with contractors for when a lot of work is expected.

6. Home Loan Officer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice benefits, allows life balance.

Cons

The operations department does not align with the sales goals, which doesn't allow the monthly closing target to get met. Compensation is way too low for the amount of workload management puts on the Loan Officers

7. It was a great learning experience in seeing how a large global company operates

Former Employee - Security Administrative in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Security Administrative in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits where wonderful. Didn't know how good I had it until I left. 13 weeks paid maternity leave, insurance less than half of other companies, pto....

Cons

You are considered a "resource" their more than a person by upper management.

8. Quality Control Specialist

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Benefits are great.

Cons

The pay is pathetic, they don't care to keep the employees they have because they know they can find someone to warm the set and they will pay them less. You are not encouraged to be creative and when you are you will not get any credit, it goes to your manager and your manager will not acknowledge you. The job description changes monthly if not daily. You will never be kept in the loop of the recent change and you will be reprimanded for not doing it correctly. You will never be respected or thought of in any positive manor and that goes for entry level all the way up to upper management. Be prepared to always be wrong, finger pointing occurs often. The list of Cons can go on and on. I would not tell my friends of job openings unless they are desperate for work.

Advice to Management

None. They say the 'C' in 'Citi" stands for change and it's never a good thing. I have no problem with change. I've worked there for almost 12 years but I'm waiting for Hell to open up and swallow Citi.

9. Good company. Depends on the area and management.

Former Employee - Ops Support in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Ops Support in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I generally enjoyed working at Citi. I was in a business casual, semi-relaxed environment. The pay is decent. Coworkers on the teams were very helpful. Most of my coworkers worked together toward our goals. There were personal and group incentives. I had wonderful managers except one. He eventually was fired for harassment but it took a very long time for the company to have enough evidence (I worked in a few different departments). The other managers were very helpful and supportive but they're under stress too. Orders come down on them from higher ups and then they are the ones who have to implement changes whether they make sense of not. There were jeans badges you could purchase each month and the money went to a different charity each month. It was tax deductible, as well.

Cons

The jobs I had were high stress jobs. This was only because of the nature of the work and some of the jobs required being on the phone all day so, the actual work was constantly interrupted. The Ops Support division was the least stressful except for a couple duties I had to manage in addition to my core work. Managers moved quite a bit and it was good sometimes, and not at other times. Training (for me) was non-existent. I did a few side by sides and was through out into chaos (beginning of the mortgage meltdown). I realize that no company was ready for the regulations that would be coming down and then constant change. But the actual phone work, systems and other basics weren't covered to my expectations. It was extremely frustrating and actually took longer to grasp the job. Collections schedule was insane. 3 early mornings, 2 late nights and some Saturdays. Sometimes that day/night shifts were back to back. Yes, it's that way at most collections agencies due to call times allowed by law to contact customers. However, with some simple adjustments, east coast and west coast could have been given to different teams.

Advice to Management

I believe the more someone is prepared and sufficiently trained (within a reasonably short time) , the less corrections there will be in the long run. I know everything can't be learned immediately but, there is a critical baseline that needs to be incorporated (including glitches in the systems). This should be shown to new employees by the best in the group who communicate clearly. Extra incentives for their proficient training for new employees is worth the cost. Raises basically went away after a couple years except for a select few. It was clear that senior management dictated that the manager would have to choose who would get what little they were allowed to give despite reviews. One manager made it impossible in order to make her budgeted payroll look good (and probably get an incentive). We all knew but were grateful to have or jobs. I have no blame for the managers who had to do what they were required to do. There were anonymous survey's about what needed to be changed by senior management. Citi was a huge corporation but I think it would've been more productive for senior management to know what's going on in the front lines in order to improve the process, employee moral and feeling valued.

10. No bad, but a lot of politics

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the people are great to work with

Cons

well it's a bank and it has not been good since the crash of '08

Advice to Management

stop moving all jobs to Texas

11. Experience at Citi Mortgage

Former Employee - Vice President - IT Project Leader in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Vice President - IT Project Leader in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment, Telecommute opportunities, and Intelligent accountable staff. Recruit Well!

Cons

Mortgage biz not steady nor is their growth. Translates to poor salary increases if any. Less than standard of living.

Showing 19 of 3,864 reviews