Citi

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.1 2,491 reviews

Citi CEO Michael Corbat

Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Citi generally has a good work-life balance for a financial services company (in 193 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home at least three times a week, was given praise for work from upper management (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • One of the greatest asset working here was the Work Life balance (in 91 reviews)

• Senior management continues to move jobs from NYC to Buffalo to save money (in 113 reviews)

More Highlights
2,491 Employee Reviews

Culture that allows self-motivated to thrive. Positive, not cut-throat.

ProsPerform well and you will be recognized and encouraged. Learn how to weave your way through the systems and the knowledge will become invaluable as you grow. Pay scale on the high side in comparison to other retail banks BUT you will work very hard for the extra $$ - staffing is very lean within the branch network and you will be expected to do more than you would with the same title in another bank. Client facing staff is knowledgeable and cares deeply about clients.

ConsCertain area directors and branch managers create negative microcosms within a larger corporate structure that is more positive. Fiefdoms exist where leadership is reactionary and negative and not even all that competent. However, it is possible to navigate the tricky waters and succeed despite this. Move to a different branch or line of business and you can find excellent leadership and be valued. Help line is not consistently helpful, can take a very long time to resolve issues, especially IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline systems to talk to one another. Make it more simple to accommodate customer needs and requests without inputing data in multiple systems/data bases; such as: promotions, programs, applications and requests from customers with cross business relationships. (If cards has the client's info, share it with retail, if a private bank or global executive client has a simple account opening request, make it possible to accommodate, allow online access for a client's multiple debit cards, this list could go on and on...)

CITI

Vice President RISK MANAGER (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood place to work, lots of growth opportunities

Conshuge company, risks of losing your direction in your career

Great internship. I learned a lot about the corperate world.

Summer Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey are obviously frendly, they wouldnt have gotten to where they among the rankings if they werent.
    The best part about working here is that they are doing their best to make sure that their interns do not feel underutilized.

ConsThere really arent any for the interns that you find anywhere else, you have to learn a lot when you get here (software they use), but all and all its worth it.
    You MUST dress business casual (slacks and a button down, no clue what the equivalent is for a girl)

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because someone is slightly unprofessional in the tech department doesnt mean they arent a good fit. 99% of other companies arent formal at all. I think we should be allowed to dress down a little

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great exposure

Business Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossupportive culture, access to senior management and progression

Consmore opportunities for interns to secure a role in the future

Review of work

Consultant (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

Proswork on the new technologies

ConsDemanding work and long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter planning

Good overall first job that led to other great opportunities with a recognizable name. Fabulous benefits- no comparison.

AML Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsBenefits - company matched up to 4%. Good health benefits and a gym in the facility that I used everyday. Training was decent and coaching was valuable. Remote capability and worked from home 3 days a week.

ConsSlow at progress (disadvantage of being a large company) and might be overlooked if you don't volunteer yourself for special projects often and work from home (invisible).

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication over new procedure changes and how that affects your job.

good working environment

Prossatisfied work place environment with the ability to work from home

Conspay growth is slow to none

This Bank was my blessing, handpicked & chosen for me.

Teller (Former Employee) Lutherville Timonium, MD

ProsAwesome leadership. Could not have asked for a better management team: 3 powerful, truthful women- Regional, BM, & ABM. Teller system was easy to learn & navigate through. Many resources to help meet teller referral goal. Recognized regularly for excellent customer service. Nice location.

ConsThe only "con" for me was a few immature, fake, non-customer service co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow people who don't deliver excellent service, who call-out every-other-day, & who come in late, stay with the company & collect a paycheck. Let them look for employment elsewhere.

A very insightful time at one of the largest banks in the world.

Analyst (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsI worked in the LATAM Division so I can't speak about the whole bank in general, but it was a very pleasant place to work with very clear instructions and guidelines. People worked hard, but the office environment was very friendly and cordial.

ConsI didn't find that there were many opportunities to go "above and beyond" my normal work tasks, as everything was very standardized and didn't allow for any deviation.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet advice from people at the bottom, especially those who deal regularly with clients, as some processes needed significant improvement.

Great company!

ProsFantastic group of people with a company and CEO who is committed to doing what is right. Opportunities to progress into different businssess and career paths. Recognition for strong performers. Dedicated to the community with many volunteer opportunties.

ConsFinancial Services can be a complex environment, however Citi does a good job with training and setting expectations on ramp up time.

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!