Citi

3.3
2,779 Reviews

Citi CEO Michael Corbat
Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Citi generally has a good work-life balance for a financial services company (in 230 reviews)

• satisfied work place environment with the ability to work from home (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work-life balance, but you could not expect such benefit from investment banking (in 117 reviews)

• Senior management continues to move jobs from NYC to Buffalo to save money (in 117 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice people

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Citi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get premium credit and debit card accounts that don't have fees.

Cons

No overtime. Work endless hours

Trust in the analysis displayed to you by your subordinate employees

Good, company, but mergers and chrun have weakened it

Current Employee - Vice President - Program Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President - Program Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Advancement can be quick
    - Pay is on par with equivalent companies
    - International exposure in over 100 countries
    - Benefits OK
    - Good physical environment

Cons

- Constant change. A lot of it is unnecessary due to management churn
    - Decision making process often very slow
    - Culture shock when moving from one division to another due to different legacy environments in acquired businesses.
    - Yearly reductions in force.
    - Tendency to hire from the outside for critical positions

- Better communication across the emterprise.
    - Legacy cultures (Citicorp, Smith Barney, Citigroup, etc) need to be integrated.
    - Hire from within whenever possible

Technology analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Citi

Pros

Very good environment to work in. very open to different roles as an intern! I did everything from technical to project management.

Cons

Sometimes I felt there was a lack of resources available - due to the fact that people kept changing teams or they moved to a different site since our site was shut down. But hey everything is a learning experience. Fun to learn.

I love being an employee, but it's a popularity contest to get promoted.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay.
    Commission is good as long as you stay compliant.
    Direct management is very understanding of situations and issues at work.
    Positive impact on the community.
    Happy attitudes throughout bank.

Cons

You have to be "loved" by upper management in order to be chosen for promotions or new advancement opportunities.
    Seen many people with high skill sets who were disregarded completely because they were not extroverted.
    High turnover rate due to rigorously strict schedule and adherence to phones. Offline is often cancelled, resulting in weeks on end of non-stop call taking. Many reps get burned out quickly.
    Due to high turnover, they pay new reps fairly better than existing reps just to keep them, raises are not as common as you'd think in a multi-billion dollar bank.
    No schedule flexibility.

Get your reps more involved with the business decisions and make the job more fun for reps! Also, make shift bids much more frequent, especially for those who are in school or have children!

Good company. Depends on the area and management.

Former Employee - Ops Support in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Ops Support in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I generally enjoyed working at Citi. I was in a business casual, semi-relaxed environment. The pay is decent.
    Coworkers on the teams were very helpful. Most of my coworkers worked together toward our goals. There were personal and group incentives.

I had wonderful managers except one. He eventually was fired for harassment but it took a very long time for the company to have enough evidence (I worked in a few different departments). The other managers were very helpful and supportive but they're under stress too. Orders come down on them from higher ups and then they are the ones who have to implement changes whether they make sense of not.

There were jeans badges you could purchase each month and the money went to a different charity each month. It was tax deductible, as well.

Cons

The jobs I had were high stress jobs. This was only because of the nature of the work and some of the jobs required being on the phone all day so, the actual work was constantly interrupted. The Ops Support division was the least stressful except for a couple duties I had to manage in addition to my core work.

Managers moved quite a bit and it was good sometimes, and not at other times.

Training (for me) was non-existent. I did a few side by sides and was through out into chaos (beginning of the mortgage meltdown). I realize that no company was ready for the regulations that would be coming down and then constant change. But the actual phone work, systems and other basics weren't covered to my expectations. It was extremely frustrating and actually took longer to grasp the job. Collections schedule was insane. 3 early mornings, 2 late nights and some Saturdays. Sometimes that day/night shifts were back to back. Yes, it's that way at most collections agencies due to call times allowed by law to contact customers. However, with some simple adjustments, east coast and west coast could have been given to different teams.

I believe the more someone is prepared and sufficiently trained (within a reasonably short time) , the less corrections there will be in the long run. I know everything can't be learned immediately but, there is a critical baseline that needs to be incorporated (including glitches in the systems). This should be shown to new employees by the best in the group who communicate clearly. Extra incentives for their proficient training for new employees is worth the cost.

Raises basically went away after a couple years except for a select few. It was clear that senior management dictated that the manager would have to choose who would get what little they were allowed to give despite reviews. One manager made it impossible in order to make her budgeted payroll look good (and probably get an incentive). We all knew but were grateful to have or jobs. I have no blame for the managers who had to do what they were required to do.

There were anonymous survey's about what needed to be changed by senior management. Citi was a huge corporation but I think it would've been more productive for senior management to know what's going on in the front lines in order to improve the process, employee moral and feeling valued.

it was okay

I worked at Citi full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People were nice, great culture.

Cons

The work/life balance is terrible

New hires are paid lots more than senior staff who have been with the company for a while

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

friendly working environment. casual, flexible hours. not much overtime

Cons

Low salary, hi turnover in higher mgmt level. new managers are not good mentors.

Learn to manage and build good team.

Stayed for too long

Former Employee - Account Investigator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Account Investigator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Citi full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and management was very flexible to personal needs. Above average company's paid time off

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Pay is not that great.

You have to work to get the rewards

Former Employee - Senior Vice President - Operations in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President - Operations in Dallas, TX

I worked at Citi full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

LOTS of opportunity if you are willing to work hard and be humble. A company this big always has a place for the right fit person. It also has an endless opportunity to learn how things work in the financial services industry, if you are flexible, willing to move laterally, and in some cases, geographically.

Cons

Generally pays middle-of-the-market and due to the economic downturn, doesn't bonus to meet/beat the market, as in past. Also, there are still a number of VERY difficult personalities and politics (as there would be anywhere), and some of them advance up and fast, so you have to be willing to tolerate that. Sometimes, finding the right management fit, which can make a vast amount of difference, can be difficult. You can make more and move higher by leaving and coming back. Lastly, you have to have a level of tolerance for the uncertainty of the market.

I would imagine management is as frustrated as anyone about losing good people to external opportunities, but recognizing that paying people to match the competition, even if it means an out of step pay increase that has to get approval from a higher up, is worth it when you consider the cost of bringing in someone new. In addition, more external learning opportunities (conferences, etc) for even mid-level operations people would improve performance and help them feel less isolated inside, 'the machine'

Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Irving, TX

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company for Career growth

Cons

same corporate politics at management level