Citi

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.1 2,472 reviews

Citi CEO Michael Corbat

Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Citi generally has a good work-life balance for a financial services company(in 192 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home at least three times a week, was given praise for work from upper management(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • One of the greatest asset working here was the Work Life balance(in 90 reviews)

• Senior management continues to move jobs from NYC to Buffalo to save money(in 113 reviews)

2,472 Employee Reviews

Culture that allows self-motivated to thrive. Positive, not cut-throat.

ProsPerform well and you will be recognized and encouraged. Learn how to weave your way through the systems and the knowledge will become invaluable as you grow. Pay scale on the high side in comparison to other retail banks BUT you will work very hard for the extra $$ - staffing is very lean within the branch network and you will be expected to do more than you would with the same title in another bank. Client facing staff is knowledgeable and cares deeply about clients.

ConsCertain area directors and branch managers create negative microcosms within a larger corporate structure that is more positive. Fiefdoms exist where leadership is reactionary and negative and not even all that competent. However, it is possible to navigate the tricky waters and succeed despite this. Move to a different branch or line of business and you can find excellent leadership and be valued. Help line is not consistently helpful, can take a very long time to resolve issues, especially IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline systems to talk to one another. Make it more simple to accommodate customer needs and requests without inputing data in multiple systems/data bases; such as: promotions, programs, applications and requests from customers with cross business relationships. (If cards has the client's info, share it with retail, if a private bank or global executive client has a simple account opening request, make it possible to accommodate, allow online access for a client's multiple debit cards, this list could go on and on...)

Great internship. I learned a lot about the corperate world.

Summer Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey are obviously frendly, they wouldnt have gotten to where they among the rankings if they werent.
    The best part about working here is that they are doing their best to make sure that their interns do not feel underutilized.

ConsThere really arent any for the interns that you find anywhere else, you have to learn a lot when you get here (software they use), but all and all its worth it.
    You MUST dress business casual (slacks and a button down, no clue what the equivalent is for a girl)

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because someone is slightly unprofessional in the tech department doesnt mean they arent a good fit. 99% of other companies arent formal at all. I think we should be allowed to dress down a little

Worked for Citi for 18 years.

Processor (Former Employee) Hagerstown, MD

ProsYou have a chance to grow and learn new job functions all the time. Flexible schedule.

ConsThere were numerous layoffs while I worked there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Options Settlement analyst

Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGreat company to work for. Most of the people are great. The Tampa Headquarters is full of culture. Management is very accommodating to employees. Good reward system in place.

ConsIt takes forever to get into the system when hired on for some of the departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease new hire to company incorporation.

A Number of Opportunities for Just a Jerb

Workflow Coordinator II (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThere is definitely room to move around in the company if you are inclined, but don't expect any sort of long term loyalty from the company. The benefits are okay and the people mostly friendly. It's a rather casual place to work, and the company does try to care. Very welcoming to marginalized persons, such as persons with disabilities, non-whites, LGBT, and accommodating to parents. I'm told the training received here is well-respected by competitors in the industry.

ConsA repository for mediocrity. Give up on caring after a while. The pay is lower in comparison to competitors. People on the brink of retirement are let go. Continuous restructuring.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe TAP program needs to be expanded to include prep into other areas of the business, like IT, Business Analyst positions, and upper levels of management. The recent focus on ethics is good, but on all the TVs all the time feels like propaganda. SharePoint is clunky and annoying, and the company facebook is a good idea, but the same as SharePoint. There is serious fragmentations between departments, and disjointed communication, along with an overall unwillingness to take responsibility to help others connect with the right group or person. There is also a serious culture of "find someone to blame" when anything, great or small, goes wrong. Fear of making mistakes is anathema to collaboration and creative problem-solving. Also, the VRU is awful, customers complain a lot. It's embarrassing. Invest in more contemporary technology. Stand-up desks like Google has would be nice too.

Great

ProsGreat benefits. Great working environment. Great salaries!!

ConsWork starts after 6:00 pm..

Advice to Senior ManagementThe favor their close friends.

Great place to work if you can put up with mediocre management

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Not as cut throat as other Wall St firms
    - Compensation is OK
    - Big place, plenty of internal opportunities
    - Global presence
    - Global brand recognition, a major plus when looking for work outside banking
    - New York Locations are amazing
    - Good work life balance

Cons- Management is extremely mediocre
    - Promotions are very unpredictable

Great Place to work!!!

Business Control Specialist II (Former Employee) Gray, TN

ProsOverall good company to work for. The C in Citi stands for change. Constant change but for the better. If you work hard they reward you.

ConsLower pay, but due to location.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire supervisors to meet goals as you do within operations.

Intern Experience

ProsAmazing Team, ample of opportunities for personal growth

ConsHard to form professional networks

laid back, work/life balance, friendly people

Proswork/life balance, the culture is kind of laid back

Conslow morale in general, a lot of relocation and outsourcing

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!