Citi Reviews

Reset
3.3
Citi CEO Michael Corbat
Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Work life balance is recognized (in 230 reviews)

• Work from home- depends on your managers approval (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is non-existent (in 117 reviews)

• Pathetic Senior management in Risk Technology (in 117 reviews)

3,449 Employee Reviews

CitiCorp, Fading Giant

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Melville, NY

I have been working at Citi

Pros

if not affected by cutbacks, it's a job. systems, programs and rules are set up to make it a place to grow and achieve but rank and file management are too dis-attached, watching the price of their stock to worry about day to deliverable or quality of the work or product provided (should go in downsides, I guess)

Cons

too clannish, not as professional as other global financial services firms. my world, mainly 20 years in plus, you are more at mercy of direct managers and his (my world was not at all female-friendly) peers than at many other similar firms. little interest in outside best practices or knowledge

Advice to Management

implement some of the lip service about how valuable staff is

No longer a trustworthy company

Former Employee - Former Executive Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Former Executive Vice President in Dallas, TX

I worked at Citi

Pros

High salary for senior management.

Cons

Low ethical standards. Unwise senior management group.

Advice to Management

Conduct business with integrity.

Working at Citigroup Tampa is masochistic.

Former Employee - Senior Client Service Officer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Client Service Officer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Citi

Pros

Premier name. Good pay. Good benefits.

Cons

Municipal employee mentality where cross-team effectiveness is minimal. Laughable management more concerned with pet employees rather than the benefit of the company. Management that finds it funny when someone works 4am-6pm to get a job done because the tools and training are negligable.

Advice to Management

You should have told me to turn around and don't come back at my interview. It would have saved me a year of torture and a year of hearing everyone around me cry in agony. Also, if you have a good manager trying to build cooperation and support between teams, you may want to stop laughing long enough to support him.

Serious need for corporate restructing a slave driving company with Terrible Management

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Citi

Pros

If you just need to get in quickly to gain some experience to put on your resume

Cons

Lack of respect and fairness throughout the company. Overall culture of the company is terrible. Pay in alot of areas are below market value. Upper and middle management are poor decision makers, they work off of a Good old boy system, employee are treated like cattle instead of human beings. They push directives that are not profitable just to show an initial profit and take a loss on the back end. Some positions which are considered as a promotion but no pay increase. No matter the position if promoted we only give you 10-15% more than current salary. Do not care about obtaining further education this will not change pay.

Advice to Management

Fire all upper management and recruit a knowledgeable and experienced management to change the direction and culture of the company. Pay fair market value for jobs to retain talent and gain competitive advantage. Stop the Good old boy system before the company total goes under.

If you love corporate politics, Citi is the place for you

I worked at Citi

Pros

Large company with potential resources to develop projects

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy Incompetent managers Only recognize those who kiss up rather than others who do good work

Advice to Management

Cut the incompetent layers and recognize people who are doing a good job

Pandit travels the world while employees are let go

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi

Pros

Global company with many locations

Cons

Bad leadership, management bring in their incompetent friends from other companies to lead departments

Advice to Management

It's not surprising Citi's stock is down considering how poor the leadership is

Join Politics instead of Citi that never sleeps. Probably you would never be able to sleep after joining Citi.

Former Employee - Vice President in Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President in Warren, NJ

I worked at Citi

Pros

Brand Name is the only thing one should consider to join Citi.

Cons

Probably one should join politics instead of Citigroup.

Advice to Management

Go at the bottom and find out how people feel about the place. It take 3 weeks to get id to access the network.

9. Frustrating environment

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi

Pros

Learn and develop skillset and that is pretty much it.

Cons

There are plenty of downsides. Too many management layers, too many employees, no opportunity for career advancement. Lack of unified culture. Pay is lower as compared to banks pay or brokerage firms. No recognition from the management on job well done. Low employee moral and a very demotivating working environment.

Advice to Management

Break up this company or else GOOD LUCK fixing it!

Welcome to the world of Politics and Greed

I worked at Citi

Pros

There was no good reason to work here.

Cons

Politics, greed, and all anyone cares about there is making money for the co's bottom line (so they can waltz into senior mgmt office and say "look at me, I"m great") Then those types get promoted. It's never about the client at Citi. The praise environmentally work, which is a joke, because they encourage the use of bottled water and refrigerators at each cubicle. And they do nothing to encourage less printing or recycling of paper.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at what you spend your time on. Is it w/ employee development? Team building? Hearing the customer's concerns? Citi seems to have lost focus.

Management team was abivalent towards new hires and offered no guidance to ensure success

Former Employee - AVP, Quality Assurance Manager in Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - AVP, Quality Assurance Manager in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at Citi

Pros

The benefits were outstanding! 22 vacation days, and 12 "personal days" which were to be taken for any given reason...that along with 10 holidays -- astronomical!! They were very concerned with VOE, the Voice of the Employee. This was a new concept for me as I was surrounded by the mantra "VOC" Voice of the Customer and our bottom line was obviously tied to bringing in new customers and/or clientele. The Blue Ash facility is outstanding and a real plus to the community. I think they'll eventually make this facility the de facto Center of Excellence; but it will take time.

Cons

The management team in Long Island City was horrendous about assigning responsiblities, guiding new employee's or offering constructive feedback. I knew that I had made a mistake after just 3 weeks of accepting a job with them.

Advice to Management

Have a plan for onboarding new employee's -- listen and give creedence to outgoing employee's during the exit interview!

Showing 3,449 of 3,697 reviews