Citi Reviews

3.2
2,609 Reviews

Citi CEO Michael Corbat
Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Citi generally has a good work-life balance for a financial services company (in 193 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home at least three times a week, was given praise for work from upper management (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • One of the greatest asset working here was the Work Life balance (in 91 reviews)

• Senior management continues to move jobs from NYC to Buffalo to save money (in 113 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall this is a great company to work for and if given the chance I would go back

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Citi

Pros

Large corporation with a small company feel. Since the company has different divisions and they allow then to run pretty autonomous.
    Great benefits package. Their benefits package is all inclusive that you do not see anymore. They have the regular stuff along with dissability, 401k with matching along with supplemental retirement.
    Willing to look at different options and ways of doing things
    Employee and community concious, they provide avenues for you to support local causes with their sponsorship. Donations taken out pre-tax and company matching.

Cons

Large Corporation so they can move slow on changing to new technologies.
    Decisions can be handed down without looking at the impact on actual production at a lower level.

Work with the actual people that will be using a tool to see if it makes sense. More open communication with the parties that decisions will be affecting.

CitiCorp, Fading Giant

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Melville, NY

I have been working at Citi

Pros

if not affected by cutbacks, it's a job. systems, programs and rules are set up to make it a place to grow and achieve but rank and file management are too dis-attached, watching the price of their stock to worry about day to deliverable or quality of the work or product provided (should go in downsides, I guess)

Cons

too clannish, not as professional as other global financial services firms. my world, mainly 20 years in plus, you are more at mercy of direct managers and his (my world was not at all female-friendly) peers than at many other similar firms. little interest in outside best practices or knowledge

implement some of the lip service about how valuable staff is

Citigroup: Nice place, if you can keep your job.

Current Employee - First-Year Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - First-Year Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi

Pros

Good brand name for someone looking to build a resume. The program is similar to others at other large investment banks. Training was very good and amid the most comprehensive on the street. I like the people I work with but that's one very small sample of the company.

Cons

LARGE, downsizing is ongoing so morale is not great. I am not really affected by the "largeness" since I am pretty much lowest on the totem pole and don't have to make requests to higher management, etc. but I can see my superiors are frustrated. It sometimes takes a long time for things to get done.

Stop buying subprime mortgages!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

excellent workplace

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi

Pros

challenging work environment, don't get bored.

Cons

pay could be better than it is.

break up the bank

Uninspiring, ineffective tech department

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Citi

Pros

It's a large broker dealer institution, giving you exposure to world capital markets. There is a large spend on Tech in general, and the size of the department ensures you have access to new technology that would not be seen in smaller IT environments. Training courses are provided, something which not all companies take seriously. The wide variety of projects you work on means simultaneously working on a variety of technologies. You will come out of a job with them with new buzzwords on your CV. Opportunities for moving business product area in some cases. Large degree of independece in how you complete your work.

Cons

Poor morale, poor tech architecture, management not aligned with staff, frequent project change, High project failure rate, high staff turnover, low pay in Investment Banking IT terms. Management change their duties and structure frequently, giving the impression of a lot of office politics. This impacts on the importance of projects, which can change with little or no input from developers in the project itself. Disparate systems is also a negative in that you tend to be constantly firefighting old/existing systems instead of concentrating on greenfield development. The pay, even on promotion, is not reflective of the extra hours/weekends put in to the job. It is not even higher than inflation.

Simplify the tech process in all areas, whether audit, deployment, integration and complexity reduction. On promotion substantially higher salaries should be paid out.

Citigroup

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citi

Pros

There is excellent in-house training resources...as long as one takes the initiative to look for them. Management pays more than lip service to the option of telecommuting and flexible work options, which is nice.

Cons

Let's be honest, it's a little embarrassing to have to admit that I work at this train wreck of a company! In addition, the company is such a behemoth, that everything is so stratified and separated, which makes for an abundance of red tape. There is a lengthy conference call for even the most innocuous of matters.
    The benefits and pay scales are paltry in comparison to similar financial services firms.

Although I don't agree with the way the company is run, I don't have any advice per se.

big company, no recognition

Current Employee - Managing Director
    Current Employee - Managing Director

I have been working at Citi

Pros

big company with less responsibility

Cons

no recognition, no risk taking

give more freedom

Good Company to work for.

Current Employee - Cash Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cash Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Citi

Pros

Competitive salaries, benefits and relocation posibilities

Cons

It's hard to get promotions in this times.

Promote within.

Use CitiBank because they will use you!

Current Employee - Account Representative III  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Account Representative III in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Citi

Pros

Benefits. Compared to other companies in the financial sector they offer good rates for health insurance for POPs, as well as dental and especially vision.

Cons

The high turnover rate at Citi Cards in particular make the workplace hard to function due to the poor knowledge of new associates. Weight is put strictly on the ability to meet goals. Most of the jobs are going to India - because it makes good business sense - so don't expect job security. Moreover, the vertical structure at the bank, where managers look-up to senior managers, is a little sickening. This type of vertical structure makes it hard to give proper applauds to employees that offer good work in other areas besides what upper-management seems is the best.

Nothing, I think they already know the problems but will never change the culture at Citibank (i.e. love of money) because they are a bank!

Tough times but still good opportunities

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Madrid (Spain)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Madrid (Spain)

I have been working at Citi

Pros

If you are good you get further quickly, leadership and professional industry training is provided frequently. Recognition and feedback are given on a regular basis

Cons

Teams are chronically understaffed. Somebody who has a high standard of work ethic will find it difficult to leave things not done because of insufficient headcounts. Compensation levels in Spain are very low.

If pay your key management better and you will retain knowledge instead of constantly handing it over to competitors.

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!