Citi

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.1 2,484 reviews

Citi CEO Michael Corbat

Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Citi generally has a good work-life balance for a financial services company(in 193 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home at least three times a week, was given praise for work from upper management(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • One of the greatest asset working here was the Work Life balance(in 91 reviews)

• Senior management continues to move jobs from NYC to Buffalo to save money(in 113 reviews)

2,484 Employee Reviews

Overall this is a great company to work for and if given the chance I would go back

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLarge corporation with a small company feel. Since the company has different divisions and they allow then to run pretty autonomous.
    Great benefits package. Their benefits package is all inclusive that you do not see anymore. They have the regular stuff along with dissability, 401k with matching along with supplemental retirement.
    Willing to look at different options and ways of doing things
    Employee and community concious, they provide avenues for you to support local causes with their sponsorship. Donations taken out pre-tax and company matching.

ConsLarge Corporation so they can move slow on changing to new technologies.
    Decisions can be handed down without looking at the impact on actual production at a lower level.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with the actual people that will be using a tool to see if it makes sense. More open communication with the parties that decisions will be affecting.

CitiCorp, Fading Giant

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Melville, NY

Prosif not affected by cutbacks, it's a job. systems, programs and rules are set up to make it a place to grow and achieve but rank and file management are too dis-attached, watching the price of their stock to worry about day to deliverable or quality of the work or product provided (should go in downsides, I guess)

Constoo clannish, not as professional as other global financial services firms. my world, mainly 20 years in plus, you are more at mercy of direct managers and his (my world was not at all female-friendly) peers than at many other similar firms. little interest in outside best practices or knowledge

Advice to Senior Managementimplement some of the lip service about how valuable staff is

Citigroup: Nice place, if you can keep your job.

First-Year Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood brand name for someone looking to build a resume. The program is similar to others at other large investment banks. Training was very good and amid the most comprehensive on the street. I like the people I work with but that's one very small sample of the company.

ConsLARGE, downsizing is ongoing so morale is not great. I am not really affected by the "largeness" since I am pretty much lowest on the totem pole and don't have to make requests to higher management, etc. but I can see my superiors are frustrated. It sometimes takes a long time for things to get done.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop buying subprime mortgages!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

excellent workplace

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

Proschallenging work environment, don't get bored.

Conspay could be better than it is.

Advice to Senior Managementbreak up the bank

Uninspiring, ineffective tech department

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsIt's a large broker dealer institution, giving you exposure to world capital markets. There is a large spend on Tech in general, and the size of the department ensures you have access to new technology that would not be seen in smaller IT environments. Training courses are provided, something which not all companies take seriously. The wide variety of projects you work on means simultaneously working on a variety of technologies. You will come out of a job with them with new buzzwords on your CV. Opportunities for moving business product area in some cases. Large degree of independece in how you complete your work.

ConsPoor morale, poor tech architecture, management not aligned with staff, frequent project change, High project failure rate, high staff turnover, low pay in Investment Banking IT terms. Management change their duties and structure frequently, giving the impression of a lot of office politics. This impacts on the importance of projects, which can change with little or no input from developers in the project itself. Disparate systems is also a negative in that you tend to be constantly firefighting old/existing systems instead of concentrating on greenfield development. The pay, even on promotion, is not reflective of the extra hours/weekends put in to the job. It is not even higher than inflation.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify the tech process in all areas, whether audit, deployment, integration and complexity reduction. On promotion substantially higher salaries should be paid out.

Citigroup

Vice President (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThere is excellent in-house training resources...as long as one takes the initiative to look for them. Management pays more than lip service to the option of telecommuting and flexible work options, which is nice.

ConsLet's be honest, it's a little embarrassing to have to admit that I work at this train wreck of a company! In addition, the company is such a behemoth, that everything is so stratified and separated, which makes for an abundance of red tape. There is a lengthy conference call for even the most innocuous of matters.
    The benefits and pay scales are paltry in comparison to similar financial services firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough I don't agree with the way the company is run, I don't have any advice per se.

big company, no recognition

Managing Director (Current Employee)

Prosbig company with less responsibility

Consno recognition, no risk taking

Advice to Senior Managementgive more freedom

Good Company to work for.

Cash Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCompetitive salaries, benefits and relocation posibilities

ConsIt's hard to get promotions in this times.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within.

Use CitiBank because they will use you!

Account Representative III (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsBenefits. Compared to other companies in the financial sector they offer good rates for health insurance for POPs, as well as dental and especially vision.

ConsThe high turnover rate at Citi Cards in particular make the workplace hard to function due to the poor knowledge of new associates. Weight is put strictly on the ability to meet goals. Most of the jobs are going to India - because it makes good business sense - so don't expect job security. Moreover, the vertical structure at the bank, where managers look-up to senior managers, is a little sickening. This type of vertical structure makes it hard to give proper applauds to employees that offer good work in other areas besides what upper-management seems is the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, I think they already know the problems but will never change the culture at Citibank (i.e. love of money) because they are a bank!

Tough times but still good opportunities

Vice President (Current Employee) Madrid (Spain)

ProsIf you are good you get further quickly, leadership and professional industry training is provided frequently. Recognition and feedback are given on a regular basis

ConsTeams are chronically understaffed. Somebody who has a high standard of work ethic will find it difficult to leave things not done because of insufficient headcounts. Compensation levels in Spain are very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf pay your key management better and you will retain knowledge instead of constantly handing it over to competitors.

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!