Citi Reviews

3.2
2,613 Reviews

Citi CEO Michael Corbat
Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Citi generally has a good work-life balance for a financial services company (in 193 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home at least three times a week, was given praise for work from upper management (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • One of the greatest asset working here was the Work Life balance (in 91 reviews)

• Senior management continues to move jobs from NYC to Buffalo to save money (in 113 reviews)

More Highlights

Would have loved to continue further but not granted the opportunity.

Former Employee - Anti Money Laundering Investigator  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anti Money Laundering Investigator in Tampa, FL

I worked at Citi full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere. Great coworkers. Great cultural diversity. Great employee benefits.

Cons

Should effectively communicate with temp workers on needs and expectations instead of having the hiring temp agency terminate temp workers for unspecified reasons. Temp agency let me go and did not give a really specific reason for termination. While there I noticed a lot of people working for temp agency Ranstad being let go for no real specific reason. I should have known then. Citigroup AML positions are in abundance there but do not expect to kept there for entirety of contract.

Hiring managers need to communicate with employees on better training strategies and not blindsiding employees with temp agency calling to terminate employees.

Politics;nepotism; Avoid them

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Consultant in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Citi as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

- Big name
    - Looks good on resume
    - Work from home (if allowed)
    - That's it.

Cons

I am not a disgruntled employee. I am helping others understand commonly faced issue in Citi.

- Work life Balance - Used to working 9-5? Joining their technical teams? Be prepared for 60 plus hours of work every week and over the weekends. Production support/ enviroment support teams have better work life balance as compared to development teams of CITI. No compensation/appreciation or barely notice of the work that is done.

- Nepotism - It is highly prevalent in CITI. My manager brought people with the same native language (not english) he spoke. The new hired guy played politics from day one and made terrible management decision; he had short term memory and would blame every other member of the team. An year later, he is still on the team, 3 people who contributed more to the project were fired due to the new guy's politics.

- Politics - If you want to learn politics, join Citi. Politics at every level. You can be thrown under the bus at any moment. Open backstabbing and no - trust environment is prevalent in CITI. Every layer of management is busy playing politics and that too dirty one. If you don't have thick skin; please avoid them.

- "We Work for our Boss" this is common saying in Citi. No one works for CITI. Everyone who has survived in this company has had a Godfather/God mother, which is usually the boss. Say something sensible and that is even 1% against the boss, chances are you will be asked to pack your stuff and leave. Boss is the only God in the world.

- Poor management. I had only heard/read about bad manager, until i joined them. Citi seems to be breeding ground for them. It is not like one or two are bad, the whole department is filled with bad managers. Managers who don't even have the basic skills about management. I am sure none of them have ever read - "maslow's hierarchy of needs"

- No response syndrome. This is a syndrome very common and only found in Citi. You send email, call the person, ping him/her, go to the desk and try to talk in person - chances are you will not get any response. If you come from an environment where people are responsive, this is big shock for you. Real life example. My lead asked me - " what are you working on? " . I replied- " I am responding to the pings of various people from QA/users". Lead - "take this work and get it done by EOD". me - " what happens to the pings" . Lead - " who has told you to answer each of them, don't respond simply"

- If you don't have a job and trying to save yourself - join them. If not, then look outside somewhere.

- The environment is toxic and full of stress. No amount of money can compensate for the pain you will go through.

They are busy saving their jobs. They won't time for my advice.

Worst Management EVER!

Current Employee - Escalation Specialist II  in  Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Escalation Specialist II in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Citi full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I can't seem to think of any Pros. Location

Cons

Childish behavior from management & Senior Operations Management! Very unprofessional and extreme amount of favoritism. The company hires for management from outside instead of hiring from within, then the knowledgable one who was denied the position will then be the one who trains the new hire. Senior management also brakes trust with confidential information and shares with other employees. Feels like junior high school. Sadly

The CEO needs to house clean and dispose of the dead wood. Listen to the VOE

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Demeaning

Current Employee - Staff Accountant  in  O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Citi full-time for more than a year

Pros

I got the needed job title to be able to move into a much better position in a different company.

Cons

People are treated like any other piece of office equipment. The only way to get advancement was to be liked by managers. Skills were not valued. I watched people who could do a terrific job get pushed aside because a lead did not want the competition. They had the ear of the manager and were able to say what they wanted, without regard to the truth. This really surprised me, I thought a place like Citi would have better HR/management safeguards in place.

Give your employees a place where they can be heard. The PVST is a joke, people can only produce what they have been given. The results/error reports are often skewed to favor or disfavor people. The feelings of powerlessness is prevalent with the system you have in place.

OK environment for non-exempt employees. Think twice before becoming a people manager there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Citi full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are good, and the schedules offered are varied for employees to balance their work and life. I had the opportunity to work with some bright and talented staff there, but sadly their contributions are eclipsed by the cons that you will read about below.

Cons

During my short time with the organization, I witnessed some of the most appalling examples of poor management decisions I have ever observed in my career. Leadership at the site level holds a philosophy that non exempt employees must be kept happy at any cost, regardless of the negative impact to the business. It is known by the staff all through the department I worked in that employees could get away with performance and conduct that in any other organization would mean dismissal from your job. As a people manager, it is exceptionally difficult to lead your team to perform to the business expectations, as employees saw many examples of peers maintaining their jobs even when they repeatedly failed to meet the business expectations or engaged in poor conduct (In some situations, there have been employees who failed to meet objectives for years, and were allowed to continue their employment). This abject failure of leadership at this site made it extremely difficult to have any meaningful impact on the job performance of your assigned group.

Just to highlight some of the examples of these failures:

-Employees who displayed issues with repeated absenteeism are rarely dealt with accordingly. I observed many examples of staff regularly missing time well beyond what's stated as allowable in the employee handbook, yet little is done to dissuade the employees from engaging in this behavior. They may be engaged in a disciplinary action process, but very, very few of those ever result in the employees separation even in light of the behavior continuing. This in turn causes issues with making sure they are appropriately staffed which trickles down to impacting the clients, not to mention allowing for the behavior to perpetuate across the business.

-There were many, many examples of scenarios where customers were treated very poorly by the front line staff, with the outcome often times being the mildest of disciplinary action. There is a party line in the department about "no tolerance" behaviors, which is completely false. No one was every out right terminated outright for treating customers poorly, regardless of how grievous the situation was. I personally witnessed several examples of this, where individuals engaged the clients in such a rude and condescending manner, that the clients immediately terminated their relationship with the bank. This behavior was met the a simple slap on the wrist, even though that conduct in all of these scenarios cost the bank significant amounts of revenue.

-The front line leaders of the business are not respected, as the staff knows that they will not held accountable for their behaviors and performance. There were employees who were outright disrespectful and insubordinate to their immediate supervisors, and very little was done to address these types of issues. It wasn't uncommon to hear about interactions where a staff member would outright tell their supervisor they would not follow a directive issued, and have virtually no consequences as a result. H/R representation at the site level has been complicit in this situation as well, often times advocating for the retention of the employee even in the face of this misconduct. Probably the best example of have the how a blind eye was turned to some of the gross misconduct was a leader being called profanity to their face by a staff member (which there was no argument by either side that this incident occurred) and nothing was done beyond a weak attempt at a verbal warning about the employees conduct.

-Operations leaders spend a majority of their time in their offices, completely removed from observing how the respective area runs. While they spend much of their time looking at the end result (metric performance) they spend virtually no time understanding how those teams are achieving those results. This "head in the sand" approach to leading their departments has led to some rampant impropriety among some of the leaders in their areas in the attempt to achieve the expected performance metrics. Additionally, the operations leaders all seem to fail at making the tough decisions necessary when it's required. I have observed all of them take a softshoe approach to the bad behavior in their respective areas. It's also not uncommon to hear of the Operations managers overturning a decision by the front line supervisor when one of their staff members expresses a concern about a directive. It's been my observation that these leaders wish to avoid confrontation at all costs, and will give in to the employee requests regardless of the short and long term impact to the department. This failure in leadership has resulted in many of the front line supervisors developing an apathy towards their roles and responsibilities, as they feel shackled by a culture that values employee satisfaction over all, even if the employees satisfaction comes at the detriment to the business, and more importantly, the clients.

If you are considering taking a job at Citi, especially as a leader, it's important to understand this is the culture that's in play as of the writing of this review. Somewhere along the way, striking that balance between the satisfaction of the staff and the needs of the clients and the business has been lost. If you're looking to work in an environment where you are allowed to lead your team in meeting the goals and objectives of the company, I would strongly advise you to look elsewhere. You will be relegated to going through the day to day motions of leading, without actually being able to affect any real change. It's very likely you will find yourself disappointed and frustrated by the experience.

First and foremost, the site leadership needs to be reevaluated. They help to establish the culture there, and what's been allowed to occur under their watch has been exceptionally detrimental. The lack of accountability is seen at all levels, and it actively dissuades both staff and leaders in the business from striving to be the best at what they do. Until that's understood and dealt with, they will continue to miss opportunities to establish the environment that fosters and promotes breakthrough performance results.

SVP of IT

Former Employee - Senior Vice President of IT  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President of IT in Irving, TX

I worked at Citi full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have some lower level people there that really care about the company and work hard at their jobs.

Cons

High turn-over, they do not value good employees, they insist on the management team screwing over our employees, work very long hours

Think about your people

Declining quality of leadership/management and excessive politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good online and class offerings. Big company, many opportunities. High diversity

Cons

Constant layoffs, high frequency of changes, no information sharing/transparency, very long work hours with no support and/or appreciation from senior management. E.g. Took a week vacation after over 8 months and every day on my vacation i had calls and texts from my colleagues/manager. Even after being on call/responding texts back at work on my vacation, I came back to work to find out all my work were messed up. I had to catch up and fix everything on my first day back to work working till midnight. Very incompetent management and senior mangers does not care anyone below VP/SVP. Good work is not communicated to senior mangers by immediate manager. Excessive politics and self interest. Full time employees are replaced by contractors.

Spend some time with your direct's employees and find out what their accomplishments and issues are. Listen to it first hand. You are bleeding off your talented employees.

Worst Job in 20 years

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

in my department, not many. As my manager states it : "It beats unemployment"

Cons

Management promotes their friends and makes life impossible for those outside of their circle. Zero work life balance. Borderline unethical practices are ignored as long as results are brought in. Uneven distribution of work and the message is always "we have to continue to do more with less" while Top Management gets fat bonuses. No raises in 5 years in spite of above average reviews because "I am at the top of my bracket".

Quit

A place to learn, a place to leave

Current Employee - FXLM  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - FXLM in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Citi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will get to learn really fast and the sky is the limit. How much you learn depends on how much you want to learn and how badly you wanted it.

Cons

You can learn alot especially in dealing with people who doesn't work, talk alot of s*** and push responsibilities to others and still get promoted because someone supports them from behind.

Alot of cr*p and useless meetings where its about chasing numbers and deadlines, no clear strategy at all, its hard to enjoy this chaotic and bias company. Management consistently lay blame instead of solving the issues. following up to get others to do their job consist of 50% of your time, mainly because those people who are suppose to do the job is following up with others as well. And you have to beware if you are following up with a senior guy because you have to beg for it.

Management trainees are ill managed, they are left to find a job within the bank at the end. Complete waste of resources.

That explains why so many traders have been sacked for one scandal after another. BECAUSE all you do is chase numbers ! You do not look at the whole picture and try grow the business .

You suck and ill deserve your fat bonus that you get for mismanaging. AND copying competitors is not a strategy.

No matter how nokia push and bash their sales team up for their sales numbers, its not gonna surpass apple, get it?

Company with Inferior Management

Former Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Citi as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Other than it pays, I can think of no positive reason to work at Citi.

Cons

Managers constantly show a lack of respect and consideration for those who they manage. They belittle and talk down to there subordinates. Upper management knows, condones and seems to encourage this type of behavior. There is a lack of knowledge of the industry on the part of both middle management and upper management. Managers spend an unnecessary amount of time at meetings.

Promote from within. Show little tolerance for abusive behavior. Begin a program where managers are developed from the bottom up.

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!