Citi

3.3
2,838 Reviews

Citi CEO Michael Corbat
Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Citi generally has a good work-life balance for a financial services company (in 230 reviews)

• satisfied work place environment with the ability to work from home (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work-life balance, but you could not expect such benefit from investment banking (in 117 reviews)

• Senior management continues to move jobs from NYC to Buffalo to save money (in 117 reviews)

More Highlights

Great long-term prospects

I have been working at Citi

Pros

Interesting work, opportunities to stand out.

Cons

Extremely sluggish salary growth, industry laggard in certain matters

A worthwhile experience

Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Analysts get benefits like $25 meal credit everyday, Uber rides past 10pm and on weekends.
    The senior bankers have made significant improvements in recognizing junior's efforts. MDs often send us email about how the meetings went and include thank you notes to the junior team.
    Most people are very nice and chill. A large population of Mormons in the office, so not a big drinking culture.
    MDs offer their cabin in Tahoe, country club in east bay, and mansion in the city to employees for retreats and holiday parties.

Cons

problems inherent with the banking industry: long hours, little effort in helping juniors with next steps, little consideration for personal life.

Great Company!

Former Employee - Community Development Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Community Development Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Citi

Pros

Management, work environment, benefits, team-driven

Cons

None that i can think of

Great team, no advice

Culture varies by group

I have been working at Citi

Pros

Great exposure on different SEA businesses, small deal team, get to take as much responsibilities as you can

Cons

hours obviously, culture also varies by team and senior bankers

Bad culture, short0sighted management

Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst
    Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst

I worked at Citi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

better technology, global platform, steep learning curve

Cons

traders are just a bunch of punters. All everyone cares is money, from trader to senior managers, heads, global management. From what I have seen, nothing has changed in these people's mindset except a bit tougher regulation. I am not surprised to see GFC happens to banking all over again.

Opportunities for those seeking long term career

I have been working at Citi (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are great opportunities for internal mobility in different job function as well as geographical location changes. I have worked in three distinct areas, all different and Citi encouraged the moves.

Cons

Huge bureaucratic organization which can be difficult to navigate at times. Compensation moves little once you are hired, you should negotiate once you get an offer.

Great work - Wish I was compensated like my peers in the industry

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Time off policies are great, leadership looks like they have a vision - values in place can be enforced more

Cons

Salary is very less compared to other peers, there is a lot of internal politics which may be good or bad for you

Promotions and personal growth (along with compensation for junior staff) needs to be looked at to stall the drain of talent

Miserable, degrading

Current Employee - Service Delivery Centre in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Centre in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Citi as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Not much perks, except maybe you'll have lots of free time doing nothing, if you count that as a perk.

Cons

If you think you will stay connected to the markets, then you'll be disappointed. Few duties as a beginner/short term replacement, will feel like rotting in the office, almost doing nothing but waiting for documents to scan. 3 months into the job and still get long time frames doing nothing, while the others are fairly busy checking every transactions and doing AML checks or clarifying with ABs. 1 week into the job and felt like quitting, but stayed on, hoping to learn more stuffs, but was so very wrong. Very robotic environment. Got micro managed by VP as well. Felt like brain cells were dying because brain activity was not utilised. Got treated unfairly. Got disgusted, was sinking into depression and having suicidal thoughts, had enough, and requested for immediate termination.

Do not micro manage staff. If they don't have anything to do, and they are reading news that Citi sends, don't blame them for not doing anything else. Would you rather them sleep at their desk? At least they are finding something to do by reading the news. Train staffs to do more stuffs. People agreed to the take up the job so that they can learn more. Stop giving lousy excuses like there is nothing they can do because they are not trained to do so.

Citi never sleeps, or pays, or gives better benefits....

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like the people I work with, we share the same mentality when it comes to work. I enjoy what I do on a daily basis.

Cons

We are a hard working IT group that completes jobs in record times to the benefits of or internal customers yet we get little recognition outside of our group. Wage hikes have been non-existent for the past 5 years while benefit cost and deductible amounts continue to rise for the employee. Way too much "I need this yesterday" due to the fact of poor planning on the PMs. The "I'll blame you!" attitude so get things done in a hurry, sometimes needing to be re-done 2 or 3 times when we could have just waited to get it right in the first place with better information. A lot of jobs have been outsourced to groups that seem to have no clue as to what they are doing, yet it is our responsibility to make sure that things get installed correctly with little or no information. Seems to be a lit of wasted effort and poor planning.

You seem to be so worried about the lower levels of management and flattening the structure by removing a layer of management at the bottom, maybe you need to look at the other process and upper management where some of the issues seem to reside.

A lot of work for not much compesation

I worked at Citi

Pros

Originally had good benefits and on site day care.

Cons

Poor ranking, prejudice and unpleasant at times.

Try to even the playing field rather than rank to make yourself look good.