Citibank

Citibank Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Feb 6, 2014

Citibank CEO Michael Corbat

Michael Corbat

Pros
  • The work life balance is a great reason to work at Citibank(in 50 reviews)

• Positive working environment that is conducive to forming good working relationships with colleagues(in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Your work life balance suffers considerably as you are managing multiple projects(in 69 reviews)

• Long hours and a complete lack of leadership from a soft side in developing careers from Managers(in 42 reviews)

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

This is a great company if you apply yourself.

Bank Teller (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBonus, mobility, great environment, high pay compared to most banks, sales goal not as high as other banks, timing flexability based on locationflexability

ConsWork Saturdays, sales goals, early morning meetings

citi - where c stands for change

Citibank (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros+ leadership is passionate about winning
    + lots of opportunity to grow into management positions
    + pay is competitive with other mainstream banks
    + global footprint provides opportunity to work cross-border and possibly tee-up opportunities to work overseas

Cons- frequent change to product, process and leadership
    - culture of micro-management
    - too much self-reporting, should be more automated

Advice to Senior Management- recruitment needs to improve. too much turnover and new talent being brought in is sub-standard

Personal Banker during the recent turbulent downturn.

Personal Banker (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-Pay and bonus structure among the highest with retail banking branch positions.
    -Generally dealt with better quality customers
    -Clean well designed branch layouts
    -Set policy and procedures
    -Size and scale of bank's offerings

Cons-Corporate and Upper Management implement policies and programs that don't work well in the real world branch environment
    -The Wachovia "takeover" was not handled very well
    -Size and scale of bank
    -Constant micromanaging from multiple layers of management

Advice to Senior Management-Remove some of the (multiple) layers of management
    -Focus on what the bank does well. Competing with the WF and Chase's of the world has not served the bank well
    -Create clear goals for your employees and give them the training and resources to succeed instead of constant micromanaging (sales tracking, conference calls etc)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for Citibank

Loan Documentatiion Representation (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCitibank is a very large company.

ConsYou might get laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Horrible management

Business Banker (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people in the branches.

ConsVery age biased. They are systemicallt forcing older employees out to bring on younger

A job..

Business Banker (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat work parties and sponsorship dinners. Pay is higher than most banks but only becuase you have to research everything on your own on mediocre technology.

ConsMicromanaging managers, the technology is horrible, banker help line is horrible they have no idea how to resolve customer issues. Help line is outsourced to another country. bonus package kept changing..

Advice to Senior ManagementChange systems and to stick with a consistent way of compensating employees

Proud to wear the Citibank badge!

Financial Center Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGlobal bank with upward mobility

ConsFinancial services industry in general is challenging in this economy

Advice to Senior Managementna

Heartbreaking

Financial Center Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFreedom to provide client service as needs arose in difficult situations. I was always supported on a customer level.
    Total compensation was excellent.
    Exceptional financial center location and environment.

ConsLong hours as a financial center manager.
    Large disconnect between what is expected in the role of a Financial Center Manager in managing
    branch staff vs. what actually takes place.
    Although always polite on the surface, there is constantly an underlying fear of making the slightest error.
       There is no relief from the fear.
    As a manager, one can feel extremely alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take a look at the incredible employees, especially your office managers. I am particularly
    referring to those who are no longer with Citi. I would be happy to grab a flight to New York to tell my story. Or, at the very least, read this message. I lost my heart and my life when I left my job.
    I am wearing my 25 years- of- service watch. When I left, my supervisor whispered on my ear "Sue
    us. PLEASE sue us!'. I cannot sue you. I loved you all so much.

It is a job with a well known company during an economic decline.

Business Banker (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWell known company worldwide with excellent benefits.

ConsThe opportunity to advance or make anything above and outside of your base salary is almost non existent even though it is a requirement by management to bonus, no one is bonusing. The fact is, banking is the plague, and the requirements to keep your job are not feasible. it may not be fair to completely blame JUST Citibank for this, as I think it is industry wide.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the comp plan so the employees have the opportunity to match what is being expected, as of now, there is no chance to meet expectations based on the current layout.

Tough work! Lots of pressure.

Teller (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLarge company. Good benefits. It's hard to find a more global bank in San Francisco if you want to get into that field.

ConsThe customer base is a mix of very rich along with people who just kinda ended up there. I never got a fee for who is a "citibank" customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on the customer experience and decide what you want to do. I worked there and I still don't have a sense of the culture.

Worked for Citibank? Contribute to the Community!