Citizant

2.7

Citizant CEO Alba M. Alemán
Alba M. Alemán

Merry-go-round

I have been working at Citizant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company presents a strong customer focus and employee commitment. It pushed through into a large business and still holds onto the small business programs that enabled success.

Cons

Several benefits are proposed, not in place, such as corporate training program, PTO cash-out, annual reviews.

Ship is still off course

I have been working at Citizant full-time

Pros

It's still a small company (despite growing out of 8a) so the ability to make positive changes and help project deliverables be A+ is more than previous large companies I have worked for. At headquarters, we know all of the employees by name. I like that small, close feeling.

Cons

Citizant has very good values in writing, but I have heard the CEO mutter while walking down the hallway that no one seems to be able to do things correctly so she will just have to do everything herself. That is an arrogant statement.It's not something her co-workers want to hear. How bad is the ship sinking if it causes her to blurt negative statements out walking down the hall. Of all our values, we should consider adding "respect".

If you want your coworkers to provide TEAM work, then take the "I" out of the team, unless she really does want a team of just "I". Thinking you have to do everything yourself is the thinking of a small business owner. Not the mind of a large business CEO.

I agree with another reviewer, she has a large ego. If you disagree with her you land on the undesirable list. Sometimes she feels the need to remind people that she is the owner. Except for ego, there is no need to remind us, we are not stupid people. There aren't enough employees in the company for ANY employee not to know she's the owner.

There is micro-management at the strangest places. Yet hemorrhaging in areas that should have tighter reviews and oversight.

Stop acting like my wife, nagging me from the passenger seat every 100 feet while I'm driving, because I'm not changing lanes or driving the way SHE would. My wife asks me to drive yet nags because I'm not doing it her way. It doesn't matter that we still end up safely at our destination on time. It wasn't HER way. If you hired employees and trust them and know they do great work, then bite your tongue when they don't change lanes just because you would. Sometimes there are multiple ways to do something.

If someone isn't performing, stop keeping them or providing preferential treatment just because you like them. This is a place of business. If we are expected to act professionally, executive management show us how. I have heard foul language from almost every officer of the company.

Rebuilding, refocusing, and optimistic

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Citizant full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has hired several new department managers in 2014, and the team really seems to be gelling. Despite the long hours that are typical in the government contracting industry, everyone seems highly committed to success and believes that the company's best days are just ahead. The board strongly supports the company's management team, with a 6-year board member stepping in this spring to serve as acting COO. The caliber of professionals joining the company is remarkable. Leadership is refocused on emphasizing the values and behaviors that made the company a fast-growing market leader in its early days. Many of the best program managers who have been here for a few years are seeing opportunities for new and expanded responsibilities. Much of the "churn" caused by the departure of the former CEO and several managers who he had hired has subsided, and we've returned to a sense of stability with a focus on growth and employee engagement. Customers including the IRS are giving us the highest performance ratings and trusting us with expanded assignments, so that's proof we're good work that our customers value.

Cons

There are still challenges -- nothing that can't be addressed. Former managers let processes deteriorate and delayed some investments, but these are being rectified at a mature pace. The government continues to cut budgets, and that affects MOST government contractors, not just us. But we're bidding on work that we're highly qualified for, and we've cut many internal costs so we're more cost-effective than ever.

Continue to focus on communication and collaboration -- both internally and with partners. Don't compromise on values, as former managers did. Continue delivering smart proposals and growth will take care of itself.

Small company with potential

I have been working at Citizant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small company, graduated from 8a. Is a member of the Eagle II contract vehicle and has potential to win various levels of contracts.

Cons

Poor management, continuous re-structuring and serial exit of executive level employees. Poor client management and lack of visibility into offsite contracts lead to loss of lucrative contract(s).

Stabilize management at all levels. Increase executive management visibility at each contract location, do not ASSUME the client is happy.

Unorganized

I worked at Citizant full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours and salary were decent

Cons

Inconsistent Management, benefits could have been better.

Meh

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Dulles, VA

I worked at Citizant full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are people here that are dedicated to their work. They are few, and surely overworked, but they have the mindset of getting things done while blocking out the whirlwind of misinformation that is constantly tearing through the place. Kudos to them for their dedication, because they're surely keeping this place afloat.

Cons

What seemed to be a friendly, employee focused business quickly turned into a disorganized nightmare of a situation within a few months. Everything but focus on employee growth and learning is on the table in this place. Some of the most foul-mouthed, unprofessional language I have ever encountered was daily practice. Not being assigned to a superior until 90 days after beginning my employment should have been a tell tale sign to look elsewhere. There are zero online tools for employees to utilize and it is relayed bluntly by senior management that training protocol is non-existent. Overtime in the form of 13-15 hour days would arise because of the complete lack of communication among "team members". "Management" focused on annotating and ostracizing rather than communicating and engaging. Some department's hours were a joke. 9-2 was SOP for quite a few employees who would talk and take on extra-curricular activities while billing the taxpayer. PM's orchestrated an exodus, leaving a project in shambles for some of the hardest working employees to take over and sort out. When it came to brass tacks, a seedy underbelly was exposed where infighting and slander took precedent over providing the client with solid work.

Strengthen the values of the company from the top to the bottom. Cut out those who contribute to the negative atmosphere and overall irrelevant banter. Focus more on developing training tools for junior people who come to work in the middle of a project. Maybe even institute a mentor program (like the company your business plan is modeled after). Pay closer attention to how business units are being run and hire someone competent to do your business development. Spend less time on philosophical inflection and more time on preparing for your employees to succeed. Basically stop being bosses and start being leaders. It's the absolute blind leading the blind scenario; the motto should be changed to passing the buck.

What a mess...

I worked at Citizant

Pros

Some of the work is actually quite interesting. Many employees who aren't caught in HQ drama are very good at what they do.

Cons

Where to begin...constant change in senior management. The company can't decide what it wants to be. Constantly bringing in new people to save the day and blaming those who left for all the company's troubles. The company is very worried about what employees say about them when the leave the company, but does not extend the same courtesy. Micromanaged. Your email is read and your web traffic is scrutinized by the highest levels of the organization. There are cameras everywhere and I don't think they are for "security" but for watching employee activity. Very oppressive and hostile work environment. So glad to get out!
    Senior management are nothing more than yes-men to CEO who has a hugely inflated ego. Benefits are terrible, but I suppose they're not great anywhere anymore. Some of the worst employee morale anywhere I have ever seen...unrecoverable IMHO. Lots of talk about "values," but it's not really seen in action.

Stop micromanaging and let employees and managers be the entrepreneurs you hired them to be. Mass communication should be simple and direct. Most employees don't have the time or interest to read a 15 page diatribe from the CEO with all the cutesy (cheesy) stories. It's patronizing....get to the point so people can do their jobs. Realize it's just a job and not a higher calling for the people who don't own the company. Stop the drama and gossip from CEO on down.

Looking Up!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Citizant full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It has been a rough couple of years due to management transition but you will never find a CEO/President that has 110% empathy with her employees. Things are definitely looking up. I feel like we are re-establishing the company mission and goals that were forgotten when our current CEO took a sabbatical.

Cons

I'm reserving commenting on the cons because currently we are re-building trust issues that were broken due to former Sr. Managers mismanagement of their Business Units.

No career growth on Virtual Team

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Citizant full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to Work from home depending on project.

Cons

Unless someone in upper mgt is your friend there is no room for career growth. Majority of the team leads and so called PM has the ' look out for themselves' attitude. With the many changes to Sr. Mgt things have gone downhill and have not picked back up yet to a stable environment.

Treat all the employees with respect especially those who work the hardest but never see recognition for it.

Great People

I have been working at Citizant full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really great people to work with. Mature company with very little drama. VERY strong market value proposition. Never seen a more thoughtful, caring CEO.

Cons

Certain amount of distraction due to a lot of change that has taken place over past couple years.