Citizen Schools Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Steven Rothstein

Pros
  • The people, the professional development, the commitment to the mission (in 4 reviews)

• There is only room for growth if you worked for TFA check out their website and look at each person's bio (Majority to all products of TFA) Get real (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Big gap in perceptions between Teaching Fellows and full-time staff (in 8 reviews)

• They say it is a part-time position but honestly, you will have to put in way more hours (in 3 reviews)

1. Teaching Fellow

I worked at Citizen Schools full-time

Pros

-Great experience for aspiring teachers, especially if you join the EDER program -If you work for them, there's some great learning opportunities with regards to operations, data, event planning, and pretty much every facet of non-profit work -Get to work with great kids -A GREAT salary for an americorps job. Everyone who says this isn't enough money for the work has never worked for City Year/Tenacity etc. Also, quite frankly, when compared to other jobs in the non-profit sector, it's not that hard. It's not a breeze, but it's not unreasonable. If you want an easy job, don't work in education.

Cons

-Your entire experience with vary wildly depending on who your campus leader is. Mine have been pretty good, but there's some who've experienced insane turnovers and others I've heard horror stories about. Also, the schools vary wildly as well. -Huge gap between campus and regional leadership, and even bigger gap between campus and national: no one uses national programming. The lessons are TERRIBLE. -Summer Institute: Universally acknowledged to be a gigantic waste of time and money. Just start with regional trainings; that's all anyone cares about anyway, and there differences between the regions means any sort of national training is going to be super watered down.

Advice to Management

Have more connections between campus and regional/national leadership.

2. Good Teaching Experience

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

experience in classroom education award specialized job ( family engagement, data led, volunteer lead)

Cons

high turnover rate low pay diversity in managerial/director level positions no job placement provided after

Advice to Management

Solidify some positions for TFs after the 2 year terms with partnering organizations

3. Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Campus Recruitment Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Campus Recruitment Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizen Schools (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Mission, Fun Culture, Rewarding Work

Cons

Big Changes Often, Organization Sometimes Values External Talent Over CS Talent

5. Hard Work

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- kids = #1 - great experience for teaching, behavior management, lesson planning, curriculum development - allows you to improve time management and organization skills - creativity within job - young, energetic, earnest staff... you get really close to the team of people you are working with... feels like a community - great opportunity to collaborate with school partners, young professionals - rewarding work... you can make difference if you really give it your all

Cons

- under-appreciated by school's staff and Citizen School regional/national staff - hard to articulate all of the hats you wear and fully explain how much your job really entails - high turnover, low retention - some people in management use Citizen Schools as an opportunity to get leadership experience aka "a stepping stone" - americorps = low pay - need to have better options for TFs who want to become teachers post Citizen Schools

Advice to Management

Don't treat TFs are dispendable... Consider grooming TFs and promote within the organization or hire from non-profit/community organizations within the communities we work. Currently everyone but 3 people in managerial positions come from the same organization... I won't mention the organization, but can we switch it up please and get some variety!

6. Deputy Campus Director

Pros

Challenging work, lots of responsibility, great opportunity to work with students and have a leadership position. Citizen Schools also provides great opportunities for professional development with trainings in Boston and 1K development money after you have been a full-time employee for a year.

Cons

Can be a lot of work hours and depending on your region you may not have a large cohort of peers to support you.

7. Great mission, dedicated staff

I worked at Citizen Schools full-time

Pros

Vibrant culture Enthusiastic and creative team members

Cons

Change seems constant and that can be challenging for staff Can feel unfocused

8. Intern

Pros

I loved my internship with Citizen Schools. I was just there for the summer but it was a laid back environment with wonderful people and great mentors. I recommend it to any intern interested in education non-profit, Americorp, and the like.

Cons

No real cons. It was an overall great experience.

Teaching Fellow

Current Employee - National Teaching Fellow
    Current Employee - National Teaching Fellow

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time

Pros

Great job to gain experience fresh out of undergrad. You develop skills with managing and prioritizing big projects.

Cons

The job is clearly defined. The program promotes teaching but that is about 15% of what the fellow actually does. The organization is at the Mercy with schools they partner with and ask staff to take on addtional tasks but don't modify teaching Fellows schedule. It is poorly managed

Advice to Management

Create some since of structure. Actually implement feedback that is given. If pay cannot be increased reduce workload

Started with 30+ teaching fellows, ended with 12

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow
    Current Employee - Teaching Fellow

I have been working at Citizen Schools (More than a year)

Pros

The students, being able to truly learn how to budget money, learning how to work within a corporation and understanding how small your voice is as entry level but realizing that you do the most man power and work. Perfect motivation to go back to school and get a degree far away from non-profits.

Cons

Within the first month of our school year 7 people left the job. Next year none of the Campus Directors are returning. Of all the teaching fellows only 8 will be returning next year. The executive director resigned. Their director of external engagement also resigned mid-year. We got a grant but somehow we weren't allowed to buy simple things that we needed for the apprenticeships. It takes days to get reimbursed. Our budget was capped at $30 for each apprenticeship...that's insane when apprenticeships can have anywhere from 7-37 students in them. We keep getting all this money but where is it going? Why don't we see it or why can't we access it for our students whom we swear we are here to serve? I'm already making less than the poverty line, how can I give these kids opportunities kids from middle class families get if I'm in the same financial boat as their parents are?

Advice to Management

Be honest about what is happening, if your employees aren't happy...your mission is going to crumble. Look at the real raw data, something isn't right something clearly isn't working there.

11. Hard Work, But Managable

Current Employee - National Teaching Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Employee - National Teaching Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The students are my main reason for working here. They struggle, but still try their best when pushed in the right direction. The Americorp grant helps also. The DCDs and the CD on my campus were helpful.

Cons

The hours are long and sometimes tedious. School staff are known to treat Teaching Fellows as though we are not equals and give us tasks they would rather not do.

Advice to Management

Really establish a region-wide culture that is united. Give more opportunities for the cohort to meet up outside of work during the year.

RSS Feed </> Embed