Citizen Schools Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
49 reviews filtered by
2.5
Steven Rothstein

1. I only have great things to say. This is a wonderful volunteer program, I highly recommend it.

Former Employee - Citizen Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Citizen Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Citizen Schools part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful experience, great for anyone looking into teaching, or just something rewarding to do

Cons

The commute, for me, was a little difficult since I was coming from Long Island

Keep on doing what you're doing!

A Team Leader for children in an after school program

Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Citizen Schools part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A very positive, motivating environment in which staff were always encouraged to use their creativity whilst planning the sessions for the students.

Cons

No real cons, just challenges to address, such as keeping on top of issues that teenagers are facing in today's world, and adjusting the curriculum delivery to keep their attention. This was a part time job, and I needed to work more hours. That was they only reason I left.

Continue to motivate and encourage staff, and consider how that this position could be reviewed, in order to change it into a full time position.

3. I experienced that I can make a difference in the lives of children.

Former Contractor - Volunteer in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Volunteer in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizen Schools as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work for Citizen Schools is the freedom that they allow a person to have in terms of teaching his or her field of excellence.

Cons

A person cannot be greedy when working with Citizen Schools. If you are selfish, then this company is not for you. You must be willing to dedicate your time for the cause, and you must expect the intrinsic value of your work to be the most satisfying wage.

Please encourage the students to be Citizen Schools teachers.

5. Great team, incredible vision

I worked at Citizen Schools

Pros

Citizen Schools is changing the world for the better - one child at a time. They are passionate about their mission, and the students create inspiring work.

Cons

Slow-moving at times, but then again, it is a non-profit company. Important to keep the connections between teachers, students, and Citizen School staff.

Keep up the incredible drive and passion!

6. Excellent culture, mission, and program

Former Employee - Manager, HQ in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager, HQ in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizen Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- At any level, you have the ability to share ideas with senior leaders and execute on your ideas
    - Work/life balance at the HQ is quite good. You may need to manage expectations initially, but if you show you can deliver excellent work, you can leave between 5-6pm every day.
    -Growing organization gaining wider profile in education sector, exciting place to work

Cons

- In a management role, make sure you get to campus frequently to see the students, otherwise you may feel disconnected at times.
    - Like any growing organization, Citizen Schools is still trying to find its true brand and going through some minor growing pains

- Keep focused on the mission. Funding is important, but don't make decisions because of funding. Make decisions because of the mission, execute well, and the funding will come.

7. Great job for young people looking to make a difference or go into education.

I worked at Citizen Schools

Pros

Health insurance was offered for part time teachers, which is a great gig if you are in college. Great information and structure for employees and clear tracks to advancement. New sites or those in transition can be challenging, but a part of the job of creating community.

Cons

Can really be challenging if the school you are working at is not on board, but that is not usually the fault of CS.

Offer more quantitative feedback/statistics about job performance.

8. Teaching Fellow

I worked at Citizen Schools

Pros

Great entry level job, good organization structure, great opportunities to develop leadership abilities

Cons

Lack of support for some classroom behavior issues

9. Gain Leadership Experience

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leading with Citizen Schools gives you great opportunities to develop a wide range of leadership skills. You gain experience in management and coaching, presentations and leading professional development, and you have opportunities to meet with high level school and district officials.

Cons

In Boston, Citizen Schools is a household name and carries a lot of weight in the world of education, non profit, and policy. It is not the same if you work outside of Boston. Because of this its hard to use your work at CS as a springboard to career growth unless you focus specifically on networking and marketing yourself as you work. It is also a lean organization, so there are not many opportunities to grow within the organization.

Consider ways to grow beyond the current model to impact more communities and open up new positions to promote growth from within.

Between a rock and a hard place

I worked at Citizen Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Passionate staff at all levels
    Hugely motivated volunteer base
    Strong senior management talent, adept at overall organizational management

Cons

Taking on more than they can chew at times
    Programs caught between providing 'real' ELT and what districts can do
    Big gap in perceptions between Teaching Fellows and full-time staff
    Weaker junior management/staff people without significant work experience - over-reliance on MBA credentials or pedigree.

Focus, focus, focus. For the duration of my tenure, there was a struggle to reconcile the program's identity and impact, which looks as if it continues. Teaching Fellows and junior managers need more transparency about organizational goals and strategies and need to buy into it from the outset in order to ensure their expectations are aligned with the requirements.

A hard job, but often worthwhile

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time

Pros

Good benefits, you get to grow as an individual and have multiple roles in the organization.

Cons

Challenging, compensation a low stipend, not immediately thankful work.