Citizen Schools

www.citizenschools.org

Citizen Schools Reviews

Updated Jun 6, 2014
Citizen Schools – Boston – “Yawkey Center Front Plaza”

Eric Schwarz

A Team Leader for children in an after school program

Team Leader (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsA very positive, motivating environment in which staff were always encouraged to use their creativity whilst planning the sessions for the students.

ConsNo real cons, just challenges to address, such as keeping on top of issues that teenagers are facing in today's world, and adjusting the curriculum delivery to keep their attention. This was a part time job, and I needed to work more hours. That was they only reason I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to motivate and encourage staff, and consider how that this position could be reviewed, in order to change it into a full time position.

I experienced that I can make a difference in the lives of children.

Volunteer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe best reason to work for Citizen Schools is the freedom that they allow a person to have in terms of teaching his or her field of excellence.

ConsA person cannot be greedy when working with Citizen Schools. If you are selfish, then this company is not for you. You must be willing to dedicate your time for the cause, and you must expect the intrinsic value of your work to be the most satisfying wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease encourage the students to be Citizen Schools teachers.

Great team, incredible vision

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCitizen Schools is changing the world for the better - one child at a time. They are passionate about their mission, and the students create inspiring work.

ConsSlow-moving at times, but then again, it is a non-profit company. Important to keep the connections between teachers, students, and Citizen School staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the incredible drive and passion!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent culture, mission, and program

Manager, HQ (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- At any level, you have the ability to share ideas with senior leaders and execute on your ideas
    - Work/life balance at the HQ is quite good. You may need to manage expectations initially, but if you show you can deliver excellent work, you can leave between 5-6pm every day.
    -Growing organization gaining wider profile in education sector, exciting place to work

Cons- In a management role, make sure you get to campus frequently to see the students, otherwise you may feel disconnected at times.
    - Like any growing organization, Citizen Schools is still trying to find its true brand and going through some minor growing pains

Advice to Senior Management- Keep focused on the mission. Funding is important, but don't make decisions because of funding. Make decisions because of the mission, execute well, and the funding will come.

Great job for young people looking to make a difference or go into education.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHealth insurance was offered for part time teachers, which is a great gig if you are in college. Great information and structure for employees and clear tracks to advancement. New sites or those in transition can be challenging, but a part of the job of creating community.

ConsCan really be challenging if the school you are working at is not on board, but that is not usually the fault of CS.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more quantitative feedback/statistics about job performance.

Great but extremely stressful

Team Leader (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou will get a great insight on challenges face students in low-income schools. You will understand the education system in middle schools. This will allow you determine if you want to continue in the education sector or not

ConsWay too stressful for the pay you receive. You can’t even afford a medical insurance of the salary you receive. They say it is a part-time position but honestly, you will have to put in way more hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your employees feel more appreciated

Great educational non-profit that in helping close the Opportunity Gap in America.

Pros- Great room for growth
    - PD and benefits are great
    - Young organization with dedicated individuals and future leaders in education.

Cons- We aren't everywhere
    - A lot of turnaround in some areas

Great opportunity for growth

Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIf you're in the "in crowd" you can virtually create your own career path and define your own job based on your strengths. They are great at giving stretch opportunities and taking a risk on up and coming talent for big, executive level jobs.

ConsPeople hired from the outside are valued more than fellows who "grew up" at Citizen Schools

Advice to Senior ManagementValue everyone equally based on the work they contribute rather than assuming the school, degree or company on their resume makes them a more valuable asset to the organization.

I love the culture, it takes it seriously

Deputy Campus Director (Current Employee)

ProsThe people, the professional development, the commitment to the mission.

ConsThe pay is not = to workload

Great learning and life experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you can survive teaching middle school, you can survive anything. Good entry level work experience and training if you're dedicated, flexible, and willing to put in the work. You get to wear a million different hats.

ConsThe organization seems to be expanding too quickly without the capacity to do so. Some leadership positions seem to be filled in last-minute efforts and the program seems to have a good amount of loose ends after changes are rushed out.

Worked for Citizen Schools? Contribute to the Community!