Citizens Bank Reviews

Reset
2.7
Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for employees (in 25 reviews)

• I didn't receive benefits from here but from what I heard there were good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance in this company (in 22 reviews)

• Sales goals are evenly spread out across all branches leading to unattainable goals for most colleagues except those in growing demographics (in 30 reviews)

1. The world is yours at Citizens Bank

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Joining Citizens is an opportunity to work for a top-15 U.S. financial institution. With new technology, regulatory changes, and an increasing emphasis on customer satisfaction, the Banking sector is more exciting than ever. Much change can also bring opportunity and that sure is the case at Citizens, where managers at every level are committed to helping their colleagues meet their deliverables while charting a course for success in their careers.

Cons

Financial institutions around the world are operating under more oversight with much lower interest rates. When added with rising operating costs, banks have to work harder to keep costs low while providing the best, secure service. Corporations around the world are all working hard to reduce operating costs in order to deliver the best value possible in nearly every sector. As a colleague, focus on the positive things you can do to meet your deliverables and you will go far.

Advice to Management

Both the tools of their trade and people's expectations about what work means to them are rapidly evolving. Continue to provide people with the opportunity to gain honest feedback about their own work and how well they are operating within their team, group and across business sectors. The honest feedback, state of the art technology, and superb professional development resources make working for Citizens a pleasure.

2. Honest Truth of CFG

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Training Classes for new to banking employee's, Training Staff are GREAT. In general all colleagues are from all types of back grounds, which makes it interesting to work with. You form great relationship with your colleague, huge opportunity to move around in the company if you can survive

Cons

POOR MANAGEMENT for the most part, turn over is huge, average employee will last 9-18 months. Poor Work/Life Balance, depending if your branch is open Saturday n Sunday, Instore (inside Grocery Store) every hard to have a life outside of work, Bankers will have huge goals, a lot of Cold Calling on Investment nights, 60% of Branches are short staff, Pay is completive if you had prior banking/finances experiences. "A lot of employee's that have been with the bank over 10+ years have left to other companies"

Advice to Management

Value your existing employee's and promote with in the bank to maintain the goods ones that are leaving or are looking to leave!

Licensed Banker

Current Employee - Licensed Banker in Dorchester, MA
    Current Employee - Licensed Banker in Dorchester, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allow you the opportunity to gain investment sales exposure and get your 6 and 63.

Cons

Micromanaged to the max. Way too much emphasis and sales pressure on banking products. Often have to leave the branch to find checking accounts, essentially a door to door salesman. Constantly have managers asking for all sorts of different production and activity reports daily/weekly. They also require you to predict sales every day. Outdated technology. Terrible training.

Advice to Management

Change everything.

5. High Turn Over! Argh!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are able to learn a lot about how to make the most of the money you make. It's been a very educational about how much is out there for people and just not known since banks have done so much to push people to bank from home.

Cons

The turn over is insane! There always seems to be a new ask before one has mastered the last ask. The pressure to perform in sales is expected, but you often feel like you are jumping through hoops and thus see many good people leave because the work/life balance just isn't there. The systems are also going down often which makes jumping through those hoops rough.

Advice to Management

Figure out the work/life balance. Today's employee are looking to be a person and not just a cog in the machine. Decide where you want to focus your teams energies and let them do that. Streamlining the asks will reduce the stress. Keep it Clear, Simple and Personal.

6. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first got to Citizens things were great, they valued their employees and offered industry leading benefits.

Cons

Over time they pulled back those benefits and leaned the place to death, if you don't work in a branch or customer facing role, you're outsourced to a 3rd party.

Advice to Management

To be a leader and attract and retain top talent, act like the organization you were and not what you're striving to be. Pretty soon you'll have zero to show for it. Unless of course your primary goal is to sell the company outright.

Chief Financial Officer - Wealth Management Division

Former Employee - Chief Financial Officer - Wealth Management Division in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank (More than 8 years)

Pros

Firmly established instituion with a large customer base.

Cons

Hectic environment with constantly shiftng priorities

Great Entry-level Job to Banking

Current Employee - Senior Universal Banker in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Universal Banker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid-back compared to other banks (so I've been told from colleagues who worked at previous banks before Citizens). Almost ever manager I've had (I've had 5 managers in my two years there [see below]) has been great in terms of engagement level. Every regional manager I've ever worked with has been great as well, and they all seem pretty willing to help promote anybody who is willing to put in the effort. If you can negotiate it properly, the pay is great as an entry level job (disclaimer: I did have prior sales experience at Best Buy for 3 years, which is a company that I know Citizens loves hiring from as I have 10 other friends who work here from BBY). They are also willing to walk you through the whole way, as they did with me (having absolutely zero banking experience).

Cons

There is a lot of turnover, especially in the in-store branches which ruins team atmosphere and makes customers angry. I would say the job (Universal Banker) is very sales-driven, being asked on how your sales are doing all throughout the day. Working in an in-store branch, I don't find the work-life balance to be as convenient when compared to other banks, but it's significantly better when compared to most other entry-level jobs.

Advice to Management

A few of the policies and procedures that upper management (I mean like from up at the top) decides should be implemented do not work well but are continued to be forced upon in the branches. Customer phone call surveys should be re-done as well.

9. Regional maager

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Good pay and good growth

Cons

Micromanaged and too much structure

Advice to Management

Less micro management

10. Citizens Bank

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Ashby, MA
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Ashby, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay Good benifits (health, dental, 401K matching)

Cons

Serious lack of mgmt. support..

11. Senior Quantitative Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Quantitative Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Quantitative Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not bad. A lot of overtime though, but the working environment is generally fine.

Cons

Somehow unorganized. Need to figure out a lot of things by yourself.

RSS Feed </> Embed