Citizens Bank Reviews

Reset

1. Citizens Bank

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The organization is constantly hiring

Cons

The organization is constantly hiring. Employee turnover is abysmal at a 62% rate of associates leaving. For incoming employees the training is minimal at best and the majority of tasks and duties you need to perform are not covered. The pay scale is on the low end and the pressure is on the high end. There are conflicting priorities and constant fire drills. Depending on your region you might have guidance but most likely you will need peer help, but they are as busy if not busier than you are. The focus is on shareholders and not employee development on a career path.

Advice to Management

Focus on training new employees with special attention on operations and sales methodologies. Develop operations to a point where it is not checking off a box but with a sound reason as to why (not because the regulators told you so).

2. Horrible,micro-management,terrible HR departments it's like upper management is sleeping at the wheel.

Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Let's be serious here. Have you talked to anyone who works at citizens bank and they tell you they don't like it? Well that's because the bank forbids it. I have had the worst experience here at this bank. They treat people like machines and then don't pay you your proper Incentives. They call it a bonus/incentive. If you have a good manager like I did before my transfer then you'll probably love working here.

Cons

The systems are terribly slow and dated. They claim to spend millions on technologies but employees don't see it. The goals expectations are seriously flawed and the bank does not care about you or its customers it's all about the numbers. They have shrunk down so many departments and it makes stressful to focus on the client in front of you especially if you need help wait times are forever long. They make you call people at dinner time to try to get them to come in for investment or just try to sell you anything to keep upper management from coming down on the managers. They claim to be paperless? I don't know from where? We shred so much wasted paper on "know me and know me more and all this crap the bank doesn't need to be wasting so much then in turn charged customers for statement and delivery. If your a universal banker your basically everything but 100% teller but still have high banker goals. They will have you working your tail off to point that you just leave the company or if they don't like you they will make your life miserable intentionally. I have seen some of the best talent leave our branches because they demand more than they give you in return. The branches now operate on P&L everyone is expected to have knowledge on this to fully understand how to truly operate this way. Not all employees understand how this works and it's not there fault, when your employer doesn't give you tools to grow an understand you fail! This company does not offer any job security at all! Constantly on edge and always feeling stressed.

Advice to Management

Not that anyone in this management team actually cares but for the love of the lord open your ears. You have managers doing teller work? How degrading, would love to see anyone of you get on the teller station in a busy branch. Allow branches to be staffed. Branch moral is almost the same across the board unhappy staff and extremely high turn over. All this cost us more especially if we are P&L. Customers can't build lasting growing relationships the way your going. How many times do we have to hear from customers "the turn over is high in the bank" it's embarrassing what direction are we heading? If upper management does see this I pray to the lord that things have a chance at good change because at this rate I don't see a future for this bank. My 5th year here and this past year has been the worst. We the small people deserve to be treated better. You've taking good benefits from us along with vacation time cut back along with plenty more. We have your backs but we feel you don't have ours.

Great Atmosphere, Great location, Great People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Pay is above comparable companies for same title, 22 days PTO, location (in Boston), work/life balance, colleagues are so helpful and friendly.

Cons

The 401Kis the worst of any company I have worked for (4% after one year employment, 2%end of year, 3 year vesting period). Their onboarding is horrible, no process at all...it was very frustrating, but the people and the job itself made it manageable, the employee "discounts" are terrible, you can get better discounts searching online.

Advice to Management

I know you changed the 401K policy, but it really is below average from the industry, especially for the size of the company. Also, better employee discounts, and create an onboarding experience including a couple of swag giveaways that show you are truly welcoming a new employee.

5. Regimented environment,but was unsettled due to restructuring.--perhaps better for those with strong project management

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dedham, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dedham, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Hardworking colleagues
    -Largely supportive group throughout company
    -Community service-oriented
    -Modern open-space work environment to promote interaction and idea exchange with colleagues
    -Department tried to promote transparency, especially as the reorganization was intensifying

Cons

-Not exactly a con (and this is only an individual viewpoint), but due to regulated nature of business, seems to require certain temperament to enjoy the work.
    -Co. somewhat unsettled; was in process of restructuring while I was there; however, I understood from others that there would be periodic reorganizations/layoffs before I arrived (not sure whether due to the economy and/or nature of this bank.)
    -Modern open-space work environment could also be a detraction, if one is not used to the surrounding noise

Advice to Management

-I have no comments to management, since my supervisor was outstanding, enthusiastic, attentive, and fair! Very supportive of his team, wanting to help them not just in their jobs but for their careers.

6. Great company to not just work for, but to build a career.

Current Employee - Branch Manager II in Methuen, MA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager II in Methuen, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Great benefits, stock purchase option and ability to grow. They care about the opinion of us colleagues and actually make changes based upon our feedback.

Cons

Turnover is tough, but not different from any other retail sales job. The turnover makes it difficult to have fully staffed regions. Even if your branch is fully staffed there's almost zero chance the region is, in turn makes you cover other branches and shorten your own staff.

Advice to Management

I think that the management is doing a good job. Possibly limit many changes at the same time. We are all for new and improved products and processes but at times can be overbearing.

7. I worked as a banker, that was my title. But my job functions were that of a teller. i was misled about the position

Former Employee - Banker I in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Banker I in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank

Pros

The company itself has a good work culture, good benefits, and shows appreciation towards employees.

Cons

It depends on the location where you work.. My location was terrible, horrible manager, stressful sales environment,

Old company

Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Quite laid-back working environment. Flexible to wfh and take PTOs. Great work-life balance

Cons

Not a good choice if you want learn new things and improve yourself

DO NOT WORK THERE

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

NONE pros about this company!

Cons

Working environment sucks!!! Treat people unfair

10. Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Great work environment, friendly people, plenty of opportunities to grow and succeed

Cons

long hours, on feet, customer service

Advice to Management

help develop employees and not keep them in the same position

Retail & Business Banking employees have unrealistic and unfair sales goals

Former Employee - Bankers & Business Banking Officers in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Bankers & Business Banking Officers in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank

Pros

Good benefits and very good internal training.

Cons

Don't be fooled...all retail and business banking employees are just sales employees. The sales goals are ridiculous AND they tend to change the goals every 6 months to make it harder and harder to reach your goals and thus...NOT GET PAID the commission that they promised. The management micro-manage your (sales) progress and if you have a bad month or two, you get a warning. A warning means you lose any ability to earn your sales commission for that quarter. It is such a scam. Plus they use some metrics to determine sales goals that seem way out of whack. For example, some of the goals in southern NH are the SAME goals as downtown Boston. If you love sales and competition with (against) your co-workers, this is a job for you. Everyone is in competition with each other and if management only knew, most of the sales people (AND middle management!) find a way to BS the system. What a joke.

Advice to Management

If you have even 10% job satisfaction for the retail and business banking team, I would be shocked. The only employees that like their job work in areas where it is easy to make your goals. Treating people like numbers is a losing proposition.

RSS Feed </> Embed