Citizens Bank

www.cfgcareers.com
Employer Engaged

61 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

It is all in who you know

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, career opportunities for starting your career, coworkers are wonderful people

Cons

too tied to Royal Bank of Scotland - IPO coming, everything is about the bottom line.

Hearts in the right place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great, smart people who are always trying to do their best for each other and customers. The company does a very good job of hiring the right people but sometimes gets lost in how to measure success and communicate a cohesive strategy that everyone understands and will follow.

Cons

Many, many shifting and confusing priorities. It's hard to deliver against a plan when you know it's going to change. Even senior management seems to be "stuck" when determining how to properly prioritize...the "deliver everything" attitude is hard to follow and somewhat unrealistic.

Simplify goals and then measure against them. Don't just roll-out new priorities before you have told us how we have done against the old ones. Also, when you decide something is not working just tell your colleagues. Great leaders deliver both good news and bad new equally.

Great place to challenge yourself

Current Employee - Several in Dedham, MA
    Current Employee - Several in Dedham, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to innovate. Organization looked to marketing to drive the organization forward. Ideas encouraged at all levels. I had flexibility with my schedule so I could balance my childrens' schedules.

Cons

Was starting to get very corporate and political.

Overall a quality organization, but too bureaucratic

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people, lots of education and training opportunities, enlightened view of work/life balance for a big company

Cons

Outdated technology tools, overly complex organization that makes it difficult to get answers/ find information

Invest in current hardware/software tools, streamline decision making processes

no good quant manager

Current Employee - Senior Quantitative Analyst III in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Quantitative Analyst III in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lazy life balance. may good work as a start up job 1~2 years and then jump to other companies.

Cons

No career opportunity. Ph.D. is useless for the company, or waste your time if you were not an old-fashioned out of date one.

enhance your quant knowledge before you hire a "quant" manger to manage high quant team!

Alice in Wonderland meets Wolf of Wall Street

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dedham, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dedham, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart people. High energy. Ability to work remotely. Plenty of parking. Great location, near plenty of stores.

Cons

The frantic pace is unbearable. Work 60-hour weeks plus some time on weekends. There is so much red tape they should patent it and sell it. They are a decade behind on technology for employees.

The Red Sox hire great ball players as well as trainers, coaches, and back office personnel. They need to hire, not reduce, the number of back office people or else the infrastructure is going to collapse.

Think of Citizens as a career "layover" more than a destination. That's essentially what it's offering.

Current Employee - "Banker" in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - "Banker" in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It will pay the bills and you do meet some nice people.
    You are trained in how they want you to do the job.
    Very low barriers to entry.
    "Banking hours".
    Bank holidays.
    Commission, albeit modest.
    Goal-oriented motivation.
    The Assistant Branch Manager level is talented and supportive.

Cons

Branch-based retail banking is an antiquated industry, groping around in the dark for some magic strategy to stay competitive going forward. Some banks have recognized the need to change and reacted accordingly. Not here. In a way, that's "quaint". But it's also "head in the sand", hoping that the world somehow got it wrong and we're not in a new technology-driven era.
    "Carrots and sticks" motivational philosophy is outdated.
    The skills and knowledge you learn are not portable to other industries:
    - You have sales goals to meet, yet you don't have the freedom to practice newer sales methodologies being used in other industries. You're either pestering customers who don't want to buy, or order-taking from those that do. You're also relying on friends and family to help meet sales goals. That's not selling in my book.
    - The technology is several decades behind what you need to learn and be using to stay ahead in today's job market.
    - Service is closest to any useful, transferable skill-set acquired here, but it's a far cry from the quality provided by other customer-facing retail industries.
    The role is demeaning on several levels: (i) senior management knows you're a dispensable resource to experiment with until they find "a better way" (ii) branch management have free rein to behave however they want with no consequences (iii) you know inside that you're now part of the "club" of dying stereotypes that most people avoid--the glad-handing used car salesman, the pushy retail sales clerk, the infomercial pitchman (iv) customers can look up most queries on their cell phones in a fraction of the time it takes to navigate through the archaic, layered platform--making you look stupid.

Employees cannot advise you. We can merely ask you to consider feedback. I would urge you to question your thinking:
    - Is branch-based selling detrimental to long-term relationships and CLV?
    - Should branch staff even have sales goals?
    - Should branches focus purely on customer service?
    - Is there a better way to sell financial services?
    - Do branch managers make the best sales managers?
    - What should "branch transformation" really mean?

The Truth About Citizens Bank

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-pay is great, tuition reimbursement, good benefits and vacation

-many promotions and a variety of products to sell, product is easy to sell once you find the right customer

-schedule is very flexible, you will be accomodated based on business need

-expectations from upper management are very clear

-plenty of money to make if you're willing to go the extra mile

Cons

-systems and technology are outdated (but do you really wanna be replaced by mobile deposit? lol)

-customer service line/phonebank doesn't work in sync with the branches (which can frustrate some customers)

-Onboarding process will make or break you, especially if your team members are lazy/ working against you

-rumors about buyout are creating a lack of faith in the citizens brand from a customer standpoint

-wealth management/ investment program is still a work in progress and has mixed results

I'm looking at other reviews and people are slandering this company, complaining. What a shame. I come from a retail sales background. To be quite honest we are getting paid handsomely to do what people in walmart or bestbuy are doing for next to nothing.

This company is not perfect, but if you are a self-starter and have a will to succeed then you will do fine here. Yes, the sales pressure is high, but if you want to make some money and keep your job, YOU'LL FIGURE IT OUT. Your success is contigent upon how far you're willing to go.

Upper Management! Please, clean house! Find out who has no motivation to work here as well as the people who do dishonest work, and fire them all. It will make all of our lives easier. The biggest problem I'm seeing is that too many people don't care or don't want to make the effort to work here. Fire them and find motivated people who want to make some money!

Acquisition

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, pay, peers

Cons

Antiquated systems, people, corporate mentality

You drive sales or customer satisfaction. Pick one. You force accounts on us to force on customers and wonder why it negatively impacts the satisfaction scores.

Great experience but low pay and not much opportunity

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Rochester, NH
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Rochester, NH

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance
    Nice people
    The goals are definitely attainable

Cons

Pay is not good
    company culture is changing in a bad way