Citizens Bank Reviews

478 reviews filtered by
2.5
Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is well respected and most managers are supportive of colleagues needs (in 25 reviews)

• I didn't receive benefits from here but from what I heard there were good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance if you are a branch employee; branches are severely understaffed (in 22 reviews)

• They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position (in 30 reviews)

1. Very sales oriented

I have been working at Citizens Bank part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Often relaxed environment, depends on your manager and how they push you.
    Starting pay is OK if you are still in college.

Cons

Sometimes impossible to meet sales quotas and they raise them all the time.

Stop turning banking into a retail sales environment, customers do not like it. I've seen people get fired after being a manager there for 30 years because they had a few bad sales quarters.

They have lost their way

Former Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the people are very dedicated and really care about employees and customers.

Cons

Top of the house managers have forgotten what makes a company good and just want to see profit at any cost. Working with skeleton crews but tripled goals. Very unrealistic expectations. Have seen high turnover.

Take a look at what made you great in the past. You cannot expect to cut more then half of the staff in branches and still see an increase in customer service scores and triple sales production. The front line employees are the face of the company and they get treated the worst. Loyalty is punished with no raises, company states they cannot afford it, yet new hires come in at double salary for the same positions and with no proven track record. The new branch model is poor.

3. Great job for first time Bankers. No banking experience? Learn here. Then move on to your real banking job.

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

⋅ Thorough trainings are offered right away with mileage AND time reimbursement. I had zero banking experience when I started and I've learned so much through the last three years. The classes are helpful and allow you to learn all of the boring regulations easily.
    ⋅ Benny's are great. You get full benefits right off and vacation time, 18 days, on the first calendar day of the year. In store branches observe traditional branch holiday hours as of 2015 as well!
    ⋅ The people are awesome. Chances are high that you will develop fast friends with your branches colleagues. Most are willing to help and guide you through challenges and to work with you as a team to help you succeed.
    ⋅ Branch managers are pretty good. The best people in my opinion are managers. The branch I work at is lead by someone who will stick by you and give constant honest feedback and is really fun to work with. Most importantly, he is realistic with his expectations of individual preformance.

Cons

Which leads me to here....

Corporate - this job is all about sales and unnecessary processes. They expect you to shove every product possible down someone's throat and still "have the customer be 100% satisfied with their experience" because we're making recommendations that "fit" the customers needs. The incentive program continues to be an ongoing joke. They actively seek out ways to disqualify a sale.

Honestly, it's super easy to get burnt out of this job. I don't feel like I'm working on building my career, I feel like I'm trying to stay afloat and making sure I fight for every sale I can. I'm good at sales but I just don't care anymore. This company espects too much and even for phenomenal sales people, it's just not worth it.

Listen to branch colleagues for a change. We are the face of citizens and we know more about what the customer wants than you do.

5. Many management changes in the US, made for an unsteady environment

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People I worked with were great

Cons

Very heavy workloads, and technology was sorely lacking

Doesn't care about current employees

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Other managers (who are on the same level as you) support each other.

Cons

Work/Life Balance=None. Doesn't care about current employees. High turnover. Salaries- you have some bankers that are making more then managers. Also, bankers that have been with the company for 10 years or more making less then new colleagues coming in. They need to look across the board to make salaries more fair and consistent for all.

Good, not great yet.

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong employee culture -- colleagues believe in and value the Credo. Autonomous work environment. Ability to balance work needs and family needs. Great benefits -- PTO is so good, many colleagues stay just for that.

Cons

Amorphous goals. Lack of long-term thinking -- executive leadership moves from one emergency to another. Cutting costs to hit revenue goals. Managers are unable to get rid of negative employees who are poisoning an otherwise healthy team. Using contractors in the place of permanent employees for non-project work that lasts in excess of 2-years. Annual pay increases at or below inflation -- good employees are leaving because other companies are willing to pay them what they're worth. Internal promotions will get only the minimum of the pay range for that role, whereas new hires for the same position will be paid at the middle or top of the range.

Realize that you can't cut your way to long-term growth. Free up managers to enact positive effects on their teams.

Good working environment, high pressure with poor management.

Former Employee - Teller in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Teller in Reading, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank

Pros

Good people, great incentives I like the environment where I worked everyone had a close relationship with each other. Branch manager was awesome and helped up reach our goals. There was some incentives when reaching goals or exceeding them.

Cons

Time off could be better, there is little chance for promotion if you start as a teller unless you know somebody. Regional manager put a lots of pressure on bankers and teller with no real game plan, branch manager was transferred, messing up the culture of our close knit branch

Be a mentor and coach the people on your team

Awful sales pressure in the retail setting

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Amherst, NY

I worked at Citizens Bank

Pros

Good amount of PTO and good 401 (k) matching.

Cons

Unrealistic goals, awful sales tactics

10. Needs better management.

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Office is busy and colleagues and manager helpful.

Cons

Micro - managed at branch level.

Eliminate the micro -management.

High sales pressure. If you don't like sales don't bother.

Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay plus sales incentives.

Cons

The need to constantly cross selling sometimes eliminates the personal touch. Lots of teller work and need to be everywhere.

We all know the elimination of tellers will come. Be the bank that ask your customers if this is how they would like to see change. Don't lose the personal side to banking. Cross selling is essential to our company growing allowing branches to hire more tellers will grow our business long term. It's extremely difficult on the branch goals an staff when we aren't adequately staff. Hire more floats. Customers don't want to see our staff running from drive ups to front lobby windows and also cross selling at a teller window and doing the account opening at a station makes us look unprofessional an we lose more crossing selling opportunities. Bankers need more desk time and less teller time we achieve more when we can grow our desk business. Weekly banker groups could grow our visions by collaborating how we as bankers can help grow all of our sales. Best practices shared.