Citizens Bank

Updated March 1, 2015
2.5

Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is well respected and most managers are supportive of colleagues needs (in 25 reviews)

• I didn't receive benefits from here but from what I heard there were good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance if you are a branch employee; branches are severely understaffed (in 22 reviews)

• They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Great coworkers, frustrating lack of managerial communication and direction

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Cranston, RI
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of good people working here
    Providence-area office locations make for better commuting options (as compared with Boston)
    Easy-going atmosphere despite hectic pace of work; lots of folks with a great sense of humor

Cons

Frustrating lack of communication and leadership from management
    Poor office space/parking planning (everyone is being squished into already overcrowded offices)
    Lack of conference rooms
    Lack of good coffee and basic paper goods in kitchenettes!

Show employees more respect by making them aware of the corporate and divisional goals;
    Show new hires an org chart! Bring back good coffee and paper goods to the kitchenettes - can't even wipe up spills!

Working at CFG as a Universal Banker has great hours and benefits, but isn't ideal for someone content with hourly wage.

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My branch is very positive and energetic. I love my benefits and my hours! If you like to work days, a bank is great! My branch is only open 3 hours saturday mornings and closed on sundays. If I had my choice I'd work at a branch which is closed saturday and sunday both.

Cons

I work with many older woman and do not fit in terribly well as a young 20-something male. If you work in an "in-store" branch such as at a super market, you may work longer hours, as late as 7:30-8:00pm at night, and work saturdays and sundays both. You don't make a lot of money unless you hit high tier bonuses, which seem close to impossible.

My managers are all very positive and encouraging. As far as leadership goes, I'm happy with them. Their is a lot of emphasis on training classes outside of the work place and online repetitive training, so I feel comfortable in my role.

I've been with the company 4 years

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

The pay is good, the benefits are alright. It takes knowing someone to get a promotion, so that is challenging.

Cons

The constant pressure to sell, sell, sell. It's hard to believe the company really wants us to put the customer first when the bottom line is what did you sell today and why you didn't get 3 checking accounts?

I think maybe having a branch or team goal would give each person the chance to contribute from their strong suit and they would work together to get the branch to goal so they would all get compensated. There wouldn't be so much back stabbing from other colleagues to get their units, or steal them from another colleague

A good place to learn the industry.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a very large community bank, which provides for a lot of redundancies in terms of responsibility. This allows for a good learning environment. Being a local company in its roots also provides an open dialogue with younger employees and senior management.

Cons

The local feel stifles growth, both from the lack of diverse business the bank does and the tendency to pigeon hole people and bring in talent from outside the bank.

Talent is hard to come by with the uncertainty surrounding location. By either committing to mermaid in RI or move to MA you could keep talent from leaving or drawn in talent that is unsure about the future of the company.

Constant change

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank

Pros

Nice pay and benefits. There are opportunities for advancement throughout the organization.

Cons

Constant changes in management and organizational structure. Work long hours which are often not appreciated by management.

Priorities need to be in line with objectives. Consistency I'm leadership will help ensure effective communication and achievement of goals.

Strong company, high employee turnover

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Citizens Bank has a very string and consistent training program and they provide a great first-step in to the financial industry

Cons

Employee retention rate is very low and the company pushes sales and goals very aggressively without making a clear bonus structure for going above goals.

Old company

Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Quite laid-back working environment. Flexible to wfh and take PTOs. Great work-life balance

Cons

Not a good choice if you want learn new things and improve yourself

Universal Banker

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Colonie, NY
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Colonie, NY

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Creates an opportunity for the development of social relationships by interacting with customers on a daily basis. Also aids the employer by allowing them to not only develop strong sales skills from high end training and coaching by managerial supervision, but allows you to take the information learned with regards to banking, and apply it to yourself with the intentions of managing your money more efficiently. This profession also does provide each employee with good benefits such as health and dental insurance, as well as an educational program for an employees education.

Cons

This company basis its success on the dependency of its employees to sell their products and services at a high level, while maintaining the ability to provide quality service to their customers and peers. Within the company, your branch is expected to work as a team and give your individual branch the opportunity to perform more effectively than all others, even though every branch is in attempt to help the company as a whole. Like all other sales opportunities, if you as an employee do not "buy in" to what you are selling, or show a lack of interest in banking, and delivering products and services to customers who are in need of making a change to their banking lifestyle, this is not the career for you. With regards to the job itself and my particular branch, you have to be able to work extended hours. You are eligible for a payout at the end of every quarter depending on your individual sales, yet better pay could be found elsewhere.

Create an environment for your employees that will help generate an opportunity for success. Training and coaching plays a huge part within the role of management at a particular branch, and working hard not only for yourself but for your employees as well, will help reduce turnover and maintain stable if not increasing production within the branch. Keep your employees happy, and you will be happy.

Great Company and people

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Lot's of work to do and learn
    Advance technology

Cons

Too many organizational changes
    Benefit changes recently

Communicate communicate and more communicate

Started job

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

decent work life balance, paid to go back to school

Cons

Poor management in a small setting can destroy morale

Get good managers in place