Citizens Bank Reviews

Reset
2.6
Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for employees (in 25 reviews)

• I didn't receive benefits from here but from what I heard there were good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance in this company (in 22 reviews)

• Sales goals are evenly spread out across all branches leading to unattainable goals for most colleagues except those in growing demographics (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Licensed Banker position has excelled my Career and allowed me to attain valuable Education.

Current Employee - Licensed Banker in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Banker in Albany, NY

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Licensing paid for, Continuing education and opportunities are vast. Show you are a top colleague through sales results and you will gain consideration for promotion and other opportunities. Company has just gone public and is in a P&L mindset where profitable employees will be valued.

Cons

This employer is for those who are willing to sacrifice some personal life. Many Saturday's necessary and Licensing is self-study from home.

Great Entry-level Job to Banking

Current Employee - Senior Universal Banker in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Universal Banker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid-back compared to other banks (so I've been told from colleagues who worked at previous banks before Citizens). Almost ever manager I've had (I've had 5 managers in my two years there [see below]) has been great in terms of engagement level. Every regional manager I've ever worked with has been great as well, and they all seem pretty willing to help promote anybody who is willing to put in the effort. If you can negotiate it properly, the pay is great as an entry level job (disclaimer: I did have prior sales experience at Best Buy for 3 years, which is a company that I know Citizens loves hiring from as I have 10 other friends who work here from BBY). They are also willing to walk you through the whole way, as they did with me (having absolutely zero banking experience).

Cons

There is a lot of turnover, especially in the in-store branches which ruins team atmosphere and makes customers angry. I would say the job (Universal Banker) is very sales-driven, being asked on how your sales are doing all throughout the day. Working in an in-store branch, I don't find the work-life balance to be as convenient when compared to other banks, but it's significantly better when compared to most other entry-level jobs.

Advice to Management

A few of the policies and procedures that upper management (I mean like from up at the top) decides should be implemented do not work well but are continued to be forced upon in the branches. Customer phone call surveys should be re-done as well.

3. Licensed Banker

Current Employee - Licensed Banker
    Current Employee - Licensed Banker

I have been working at Citizens Bank (More than a year)

Pros

If you want a rewarding job on not just helping one person, but helping many, Citizens is a good place to start. I would not recommend this a "job" because you will get burnt out, but as a career.
    They are sponsoring me for my Series 6,63,65 as well as possible MorningStar all for a retail Licensed Banker. Show initiative you will go far in this company.
    Regional manager and my bank manager ESPECIALLY, really understand the components of banking.

Cons

A little bit of a micro managing even though you know what you are doing. They treat the workers that been their 10 days to 10 years all the same in a 30 minute a day training platform. The banking industry is changing rapidly and they are still trying to find their niche in the staffing, which I am sure every financial institution is.
    Daily teller work until all banking goes online

Advice to Management

Doing a great job, honestly - hear the employees voices a little more and this will be an A+ company.

5. Regional maager

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Good pay and good growth

Cons

Micromanaged and too much structure

Advice to Management

Less micro management

6. Citizens Bank

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Ashby, MA
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Ashby, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Good benifits (health, dental, 401K matching)

Cons

Serious lack of mgmt. support..

7. Sales-driven but generally fair

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay, many positions, and generally a lot of opportunities to advance or move laterally within the company.

Cons

Very sales-oriented, to the point that it can actually distract you from other areas of the job (like teller accuracy and customer satisfaction).

Advice to Management

Focus less on the sales aspect of the bank--I understand growth is important, but so is keeping employees that readily excel in other areas. Just because someone can sell a loan to Joe American does not mean that they can balance a drawer at the end of the night or have a thorough understanding of operations and regulations applicable to the position.

8. Banker/AM

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. can move up quickly if you meet your goals. great recognition for sales. flexable hours and great benefits

Cons

can be stressful with goals. manage can put a lot of tasks on you. very competitive in the promoting process. fast paced.

Advice to Management

when bankers are exceeding thier goals and doing more than what you do they should be promoted. there are too many managers that look pass qualified canidates.

9. It's been pretty positive so far

Current Employee - Bank Teller in West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in West Bloomfield, MI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly People
    Relatively stable and consistent hours
    Opportunity for mobility

Cons

Moving up within the company is a time consuming process
    Also it is almost impossible to advance at all if you start at a part time position

10. Senior Quantitative Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Quantitative Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Quantitative Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not bad. A lot of overtime though, but the working environment is generally fine.

Cons

Somehow unorganized. Need to figure out a lot of things by yourself.

11. Many opportunities to learn and grow

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I chose to work for Citizens because there was a tremendous opportunity for me to build something from the ground up. It's not too often that you can work for a well established company and have the flexibility to share and execute on your ideas.

My team has very strong leaders that are supportive and thoughtful in their vision and goals. They take the time to recognize performance, they work to create career opportunities, they laugh and have fun, and they are transparent. I'm very thankful for them and for our team.

I think our benefits overall are average but the PTO and flexible work locations is excellent.

Cons

The technology is not good. Our systems are slow, we still use IE8 as a default browser which is a nightmare for my work, half the time we can't get on a webex with vendors because it doesn't work with our systems and there are at least 10 different logons for the different tools we use. I would also say our work location is not very nice. There are not enough conference rooms for teams to use, people are crammed into small spaces and there isn't a cafe in an area where there are very few outside places to eat.

Advice to Management

Continue to support colleagues through these challenging times of transition away from RBS. The cuts are challenging so be thoughtful on what you cut and the impact on colleagues.

RSS Feed </> Embed