Citizens Bank Reviews

Reset
2.6
Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for employees (in 25 reviews)

• I didn't receive benefits from here but from what I heard there were good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance in this company (in 22 reviews)

• Sales goals are evenly spread out across all branches leading to unattainable goals for most colleagues except those in growing demographics (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Licensed Banker position has excelled my Career and allowed me to attain valuable Education.

Current Employee - Licensed Banker in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Banker in Albany, NY

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Licensing paid for, Continuing education and opportunities are vast. Show you are a top colleague through sales results and you will gain consideration for promotion and other opportunities. Company has just gone public and is in a P&L mindset where profitable employees will be valued.

Cons

This employer is for those who are willing to sacrifice some personal life. Many Saturday's necessary and Licensing is self-study from home.

2. Banker

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Its just about pushing product. Its all about checking accounts. I would not work if I was looiing for a job.

Cons

No water of all the cheep ways to save a dollar. Ita all about checking accounts. It is very hard to make bonuse

Advice to Management

Fire them

Going downhill FAST

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company was great prior to 2012. Great benefits, bonuses, time off, overall work environment

Cons

Extreme amount of change in last 2 years. 401k match cut, insurance costs skyrocketed, PTO time scaled back, bonuses are almost non existent. High turnover because of this. Going to be a rough couple years.

5. Personal Banker

Former Employee - Banker
    Former Employee - Banker

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleague atmosphere, decent benefits like tuition reimbursement. This company has some perks but the cons outweigh them significantly.

Cons

Pay, micromanagement like no other company, unprofessionalism across the board, constant threats from upper management and non constructive criticism, defamation of character, understaffed branches, no sense of urgency to staff accordingly.

Advice to Management

Quit violating regulation R, and threatening to write people up for not meeting referral quotas to financial advisors. Value those who are contributors and profitable, because they will leave if you don't, especially when they see that citizens pay grade is at the bottom of the banking totem pole.

6. Its a job

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong Work ethic is needed

Cons

Not totally structured at times

7. Personal Banker

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits were the only great thing and being closed 13 days a year

Cons

The bonus structure is impossible. They don't care about the customer, charging fees for everything. I was a customer before an employee holding my primary account there and now I closed all of my accounts. I have seen managers yell at there assistants because they are afraid of loosing there job

Advice to Management

Care for the employees who are up front doing your work for you. Support them and be there to assist in selling.

8. Very Stressful situation

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Akron, OH

I worked at Citizens Bank

Pros

Insurance was not bad and as a new associate the do give a generous amount of vacation time.

Cons

Lack of management support in the branch, District and Regional manager who came from another bank trying to implement process that did not work there. Bonus that are not worth the paper they are presented on. Lack of people showing up on time at the branch. The biggest issue is other associates applying for jobs on the clock and allowed to bring there kid in like its a day care center.

Advice to Management

have managers who are able to run the branch and able to control the associate. It seems the branch manager has no clue what they are doing or what goes on in there branch. Stop complaining when associates are not properly train, it just the Citizens way. Finally, when there are new hires on he floor try to make them feel welcome not making them feel like they are not wanted in the branch.

9. Citizens Bank

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The organization is constantly hiring

Cons

The organization is constantly hiring. Employee turnover is abysmal at a 62% rate of associates leaving. For incoming employees the training is minimal at best and the majority of tasks and duties you need to perform are not covered. The pay scale is on the low end and the pressure is on the high end. There are conflicting priorities and constant fire drills. Depending on your region you might have guidance but most likely you will need peer help, but they are as busy if not busier than you are. The focus is on shareholders and not employee development on a career path.

Advice to Management

Focus on training new employees with special attention on operations and sales methodologies. Develop operations to a point where it is not checking off a box but with a sound reason as to why (not because the regulators told you so).

10. Banker

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Butler, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Butler, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Employees, Benefits, 401K, Vacation

Cons

Sales, Management, Lack of Training,

11. Horrible,micro-management,terrible HR departments it's like upper management is sleeping at the wheel.

Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Let's be serious here. Have you talked to anyone who works at citizens bank and they tell you they don't like it? Well that's because the bank forbids it. I have had the worst experience here at this bank. They treat people like machines and then don't pay you your proper Incentives. They call it a bonus/incentive. If you have a good manager like I did before my transfer then you'll probably love working here.

Cons

The systems are terribly slow and dated. They claim to spend millions on technologies but employees don't see it. The goals expectations are seriously flawed and the bank does not care about you or its customers it's all about the numbers. They have shrunk down so many departments and it makes stressful to focus on the client in front of you especially if you need help wait times are forever long. They make you call people at dinner time to try to get them to come in for investment or just try to sell you anything to keep upper management from coming down on the managers. They claim to be paperless? I don't know from where? We shred so much wasted paper on "know me and know me more and all this crap the bank doesn't need to be wasting so much then in turn charged customers for statement and delivery. If your a universal banker your basically everything but 100% teller but still have high banker goals. They will have you working your tail off to point that you just leave the company or if they don't like you they will make your life miserable intentionally. I have seen some of the best talent leave our branches because they demand more than they give you in return. The branches now operate on P&L everyone is expected to have knowledge on this to fully understand how to truly operate this way. Not all employees understand how this works and it's not there fault, when your employer doesn't give you tools to grow an understand you fail! This company does not offer any job security at all! Constantly on edge and always feeling stressed.

Advice to Management

Not that anyone in this management team actually cares but for the love of the lord open your ears. You have managers doing teller work? How degrading, would love to see anyone of you get on the teller station in a busy branch. Allow branches to be staffed. Branch moral is almost the same across the board unhappy staff and extremely high turn over. All this cost us more especially if we are P&L. Customers can't build lasting growing relationships the way your going. How many times do we have to hear from customers "the turn over is high in the bank" it's embarrassing what direction are we heading? If upper management does see this I pray to the lord that things have a chance at good change because at this rate I don't see a future for this bank. My 5th year here and this past year has been the worst. We the small people deserve to be treated better. You've taking good benefits from us along with vacation time cut back along with plenty more. We have your backs but we feel you don't have ours.

RSS Feed </> Embed