Citizens Bank Reviews

504 reviews filtered by

1. Great coworkers, frustrating lack of managerial communication and direction

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Cranston, RI
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of good people working here
    Providence-area office locations make for better commuting options (as compared with Boston)
    Easy-going atmosphere despite hectic pace of work; lots of folks with a great sense of humor

Cons

Frustrating lack of communication and leadership from management
    Poor office space/parking planning (everyone is being squished into already overcrowded offices)
    Lack of conference rooms
    Lack of good coffee and basic paper goods in kitchenettes!

Advice to Management

Show employees more respect by making them aware of the corporate and divisional goals;
    Show new hires an org chart! Bring back good coffee and paper goods to the kitchenettes - can't even wipe up spills!

Sketchy Bonus Practices

Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training. Pay is decent, but not amazing.

Cons

They continually "re-vamp" their bonus structure. Sometimes people make $6,000 a quarter, then they change it and they'll make $500 a quarter. It's a horrible thing when your income fluctuates that much. High pressure from management....very high!

Advice to Management

Focus on process improvement strategies and be more consistent.

3. Working at CFG as a Universal Banker has great hours and benefits, but isn't ideal for someone content with hourly wage.

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My branch is very positive and energetic. I love my benefits and my hours! If you like to work days, a bank is great! My branch is only open 3 hours saturday mornings and closed on sundays. If I had my choice I'd work at a branch which is closed saturday and sunday both.

Cons

I work with many older woman and do not fit in terribly well as a young 20-something male. If you work in an "in-store" branch such as at a super market, you may work longer hours, as late as 7:30-8:00pm at night, and work saturdays and sundays both. You don't make a lot of money unless you hit high tier bonuses, which seem close to impossible.

Advice to Management

My managers are all very positive and encouraging. As far as leadership goes, I'm happy with them. Their is a lot of emphasis on training classes outside of the work place and online repetitive training, so I feel comfortable in my role.

5. Good overall

Former Employee - Banker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Banker in New York, NY

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Incentives, hours, co workers, pay, branch

Cons

Growth, management, locations, breaks, atm

If you know people, you'll get ahead. Or else it's not worth your time.

Former Employee - Banker
    Former Employee - Banker

I worked at Citizens Bank

Pros

Benefits were good. ample resources to train yourself.

Cons

Upper management plays a big role in who gets ahead and who doesn't. Very diplomatic. Incentive bonuses used to been a good benefits until they started changing the plans to make you work 100 times hard to be compensated for 10% of it. It has come down to very micro managed level. And has demotivated the seasoned employees. Insane and unfair sales goals set by upper management.

Advice to Management

The reason why people are leaving the company is because the upper management tries its best to not compensate the hard workin people, rather focus on micro managing roles that does nothing to increase productivity.

7. Was exceptional is now mediocre at best.

Current Employee - Teller Manager
    Current Employee - Teller Manager

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great vacation/ PTO. Medical insurance is ok and the dental insurance is great. The people in the branches, I've been in several, have been some of the best people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Citizens cares only about your next sale. They have gone so far adrift from where they once were it's sickening. Years ago they really did live the Credo of Customer's Colleagues, Community. Now their concern for customer's is what can I sell you. I don't really think they concern themselves with the peons in the branches any longer except to drive them to get more sales. Community is a joke, they simply do things for publicity. Let's not forget the pay, it's a joke if you've worked there for years because baby your maxed out, you get a great review and good score and get nothing. Seriously I'm on the end side of my career, If I was younger I would definitely find a new job and I am sure it would pay better.

Advice to Management

Try listening to your branch personnel, they do the work for you so you can continue to get your 6 and 7 figure incomes. They all know that this is a for profit business but you are running it into the ground with constant changes in products and the lack technology.

8. Constant change

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank

Pros

Nice pay and benefits. There are opportunities for advancement throughout the organization.

Cons

Constant changes in management and organizational structure. Work long hours which are often not appreciated by management.

Advice to Management

Priorities need to be in line with objectives. Consistency I'm leadership will help ensure effective communication and achievement of goals.

I've been with the company 4 years

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

The pay is good, the benefits are alright. It takes knowing someone to get a promotion, so that is challenging.

Cons

The constant pressure to sell, sell, sell. It's hard to believe the company really wants us to put the customer first when the bottom line is what did you sell today and why you didn't get 3 checking accounts?

Advice to Management

I think maybe having a branch or team goal would give each person the chance to contribute from their strong suit and they would work together to get the branch to goal so they would all get compensated. There wouldn't be so much back stabbing from other colleagues to get their units, or steal them from another colleague

10. A good place to learn the industry.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a very large community bank, which provides for a lot of redundancies in terms of responsibility. This allows for a good learning environment. Being a local company in its roots also provides an open dialogue with younger employees and senior management.

Cons

The local feel stifles growth, both from the lack of diverse business the bank does and the tendency to pigeon hole people and bring in talent from outside the bank.

Advice to Management

Talent is hard to come by with the uncertainty surrounding location. By either committing to mermaid in RI or move to MA you could keep talent from leaving or drawn in talent that is unsure about the future of the company.

Better than your best is not good enough for these people

Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is alright. Health, vision and dental insurances are quite good, and if you get a branch with good people, you'll at least like being with them all day.

Cons

Incentive plans keep changing, the company will ACTIVELY find ways to discredit sales you rightfully should be getting paid on, MPE's (Minimum Performance Expectations) have gotten so out of hand that employees can set on a calendar when they will be fired due to "poor performance". The company does not care about customer satisfaction unless it can be used to lessen (or even remove entirely) your bonus payout. ENDLESS PAPERWORK that serves little to no purpose. Constant threats of "if you can't do it, Citizens will hire someone else for cheaper that will". Heartless, soulless company that drains every bit of joy and life you once had by taking all you're willing to give them then taking some more. Constant threats to job security. Constant "promotions" that involve no additional pay but unachievable new responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the employee and they will do the right thing. Constantly threaten our jobs and we'll do just enough to not get fired.

Citizens Bank Photos