Citizens Financial Group

Updated August 13, 2014

2.5

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is rarely an issue only if the branch's QTD sales numbers are met (in 25 reviews)

• Good Benefits and a changing work environment that's friendly to employees to attract talent (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company preaches work life balance and that's not what is going on (in 13 reviews)

• They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker  in  Malden, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Malden, MA

Pros

Great benefit package, Community based company

Cons

Need to add more balance in co-workers social meeting or events

Keep up the good work, work on giving better raises/bonuses

Great place to challenge yourself

Current Employee - Several  in  Dedham, MA
    Current Employee - Several in Dedham, MA

Pros

Great place to innovate. Organization looked to marketing to drive the organization forward. Ideas encouraged at all levels. I had flexibility with my schedule so I could balance my childrens' schedules.

Cons

Was starting to get very corporate and political.

Team Leader/Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

good and ethical work culture

Cons

none, everything was good at citizens.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good management and competitive pay

Former Employee - Teller Manager  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Teller Manager in Quincy, MA

Pros

I always enjoyed the people I worked with. I was pretty satisfied with my pay and my time off.

Cons

I know some people who didn't have as good a relationship with their managers and coworkers as I did. It is also a very intense sales environment. You are expected to try and sell a product to every customer you help.

Great place to grow

Current Employee - Risk Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Risk Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

I have experienced stupendous professional growth in this firm. My managers have always been most supportive of my advancement, and promotions have been forthcoming appropriately.

Cons

With the upcoming IPO, things have been a bit hectic and rudderless. It seems like there is a goal to get all of the terrible ideas implemented before the IPO

It would be nice if we didn't change everything just for the sake of changing everything. It's frustrating that some of the changes have been implemented without much thought or input.

Overall a quality organization, but too bureaucratic

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA

Pros

Good people, lots of education and training opportunities, enlightened view of work/life balance for a big company

Cons

Outdated technology tools, overly complex organization that makes it difficult to get answers/ find information

Invest in current hardware/software tools, streamline decision making processes

The Truth About Citizens Bank

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Boston, MA

Pros

-pay is great, tuition reimbursement, good benefits and vacation

-many promotions and a variety of products to sell, product is easy to sell once you find the right customer

-schedule is very flexible, you will be accomodated based on business need

-expectations from upper management are very clear

-plenty of money to make if you're willing to go the extra mile

Cons

-systems and technology are outdated (but do you really wanna be replaced by mobile deposit? lol)

-customer service line/phonebank doesn't work in sync with the branches (which can frustrate some customers)

-Onboarding process will make or break you, especially if your team members are lazy/ working against you

-rumors about buyout are creating a lack of faith in the citizens brand from a customer standpoint

-wealth management/ investment program is still a work in progress and has mixed results

I'm looking at other reviews and people are slandering this company, complaining. What a shame. I come from a retail sales background. To be quite honest we are getting paid handsomely to do what people in walmart or bestbuy are doing for next to nothing.

This company is not perfect, but if you are a self-starter and have a will to succeed then you will do fine here. Yes, the sales pressure is high, but if you want to make some money and keep your job, YOU'LL FIGURE IT OUT. Your success is contigent upon how far you're willing to go.

Upper Management! Please, clean house! Find out who has no motivation to work here as well as the people who do dishonest work, and fire them all. It will make all of our lives easier. The biggest problem I'm seeing is that too many people don't care or don't want to make the effort to work here. Fire them and find motivated people who want to make some money!

Good place to work although systems need help

Current Employee - Banker  in  North Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Banker in North Andover, MA

Pros

Good life work balance as well as good work ethic within the company structure

Cons

Sales goals could be overwhelming at times

financially rewarding, somewhat monotonous, excellent experience

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

unrivaled compensation for top performing sales people
    great benefits package including 9% 401k match, 8k tuition assistance, 22 paid days off
    bankers hours!
    best lending rates around, best deposit rates around

Cons

too many account changes and fees for the customers make it difficult to please everyone
    there is way too much pressure to sell, sometimes i feel like a used car salesman

Stop making us sell extra checking accounts to people that already have them with us. That doesn't grow market share it only increases cost.
    You created customer commitments, live by them don't just read them off a piece of paper

A positive work environment

Current Employee - AML Investigator  in  Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - AML Investigator in Norwood, MA

Pros

A comfortable work environment with knowledgeable senior staff and management. Flexible hours and a reasonable work load. Accommodating of personal needs.

Cons

Advancement is a slow process, leaning the job functions well occurs long before there is an opportunity to advance. Potential is limited by a small number of slots for career progression.

Increase the number of training opportunities. I don't have any more advice than this. Your twenty word minimum is making me not want to join this site.

Worked for Citizens Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!