Citizens Financial Group

Citizens Financial Group Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun

Bruce Van Saun

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is rarely an issue only if the branch's QTD sales numbers are met"
    in 22 reviews
  • "they provided good benefits to me as a part time and full time employee"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unrealistic sales goals that did not make reasonable commissions"
    in 24 reviews
  • "The company preaches work life balance and that's not what is going on"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It is all in who you know

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent benefits, career opportunities for starting your career, coworkers are wonderful people

Constoo tied to Royal Bank of Scotland - IPO coming, everything is about the bottom line.

Corporate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Cranston, RI

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Prosdifferent It related issues everyday good place to learn and see different issues

Consyou can only go up a maximum of 2 grade levels at a time when looking for a job.

Hearts in the right place

Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat, smart people who are always trying to do their best for each other and customers. The company does a very good job of hiring the right people but sometimes gets lost in how to measure success and communicate a cohesive strategy that everyone understands and will follow.

ConsMany, many shifting and confusing priorities. It's hard to deliver against a plan when you know it's going to change. Even senior management seems to be "stuck" when determining how to properly prioritize...the "deliver everything" attitude is hard to follow and somewhat unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify goals and then measure against them. Don't just roll-out new priorities before you have told us how we have done against the old ones. Also, when you decide something is not working just tell your colleagues. Great leaders deliver both good news and bad new equally.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I learned a lot in the past 11 years.

ATM Supervisor (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork life balance was great and there was room for growth. I was promoted 3 times in 6 years.

ConsNot enough consistency when it comes to cross training. Everyone was cross trained but management didn't continue with it. There were a lot of people that had forgotten what was taught.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf given the opportunity to do it over I would. I started out as a Clerk grade level 5 and worked my way up to supervisor grade level 10.

Great place to challenge yourself

Several (Current Employee)
Dedham, MA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to innovate. Organization looked to marketing to drive the organization forward. Ideas encouraged at all levels. I had flexibility with my schedule so I could balance my childrens' schedules.

ConsWas starting to get very corporate and political.

Amazing Experience, Launched my Career!!

In Store Banker (Former Employee)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time

ProsThere are set guidelines and procedures to do things, but upper management encourages you to make the process your own. They like seeing different personalities come alive, and you become committed to the job because you are doing things how you want to. Positive work environment that allows for great conversations with customers and excellent customer service. You really get out of this job what you want to. The sales goals to me were very attainable. To others they were too daunting and not reachable. Again, you get out of it what you want to. This is a sales company, you are in a sales role, so it makes sense to have sales goals. I never missed my goals while employed, and the pay was amazing because of it!! They allow overtime as long as you prove you deserve it. They encourage you to work as much as you'd like. Base pay is excellent, OT is rewarding and the commission scale is phenomenal. So sad Citizens Bank was not located where I moved to, otherwise I would still be an employee!!

ConsSome turnover because people get in over their heads when excepting the job. They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position. Generally they don't think much of the "sales" aspect because the base pay is amazing. But those that know what they signed up for and love to service the clients will succeed and enjoy every minute of it!!

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage lower level management to increase the emphasis on the sales aspect of the job. Interviews are conducted great, but they just ask "are you aware that there are sales goals you will be expected to meet on a quarterly basis?". They should give scenarios and/or examples as well as asking supporting questions to ensure they are not wasting the time of the candidate or the company.

In the beginning it was great but after a couple years it was like management really didn't care anymore.

Senior Operations Clerk (Former Employee)
Phila, PA

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIn the beginning there were a lot of pros like they really cared about us as workers and people with families

ConsAs time went on they just stopped caring and just wanted us to work and get the job done at any cost

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the little people would helped you look good to your collegues

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

This bank will promise you the world when you are interviewing but there is no advancement or incentive to be acquired.

Banker I (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere really are not any pros to working here.

ConsDealing with upper management that wants you to sell, sell, sell. They can be downright nasty if you are not producing. Then you go for training about the customer experience and are told you are not supposed to be sales sharks, but instead be truly interested and caring about the customers needs. They do not practice what they preach. They also hire people that have sales experience. It does not matter if you know anything about banking. If you can sell a cellular phone, have worked at Best Buy, or can sell a bra, they will hire you to be a manager. AND, they will pay you much more than an employee that has been with the bank for years and knows everything that you do not know. They also give insignificant annual raises. For two years in a row, the raise most employees received was 1%. We were told there was no money to be had.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou say you care about your customers, but until you put the customers needs first and the sales need second, you will continue to have dissatisfied customers. Employees are also dissatisfied overall. Upper upper management needs to reach out to their bankers and tellers to see what is really happening in their branches.

lack of customer service and colleague focus and aggressive sales culture not sustainable for long term growth.

Personal Banker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you get the right branch, your Branch Manager and colleagues can be awesome to work with. Branch Managers are expected to micromanage and report how they do so and the results. There is a unity from this that shows that everyone is working together to wrap our heads around what it is that the bank expects of everyone. If you know how to sell and comply with the bank's sales model, the incentive plan is great as long you over index and manage your sales to maintain a high percentage to goal. Work life balance is rarely an issue only if the branch's QTD sales numbers are met. Vacation time is great and the ability to utilize it is excellent and without question unless there are the occasional black out dates. Typical bank hours for traditional branches unless you work for an in-store branch then you're opened 7 days per week including holidays. Training is constant and provides valuable skill sets that help you push yourself in your current position. Citizens Bank is progressing into a more modern style of banking through new teller systems, ATMs, and debit cards however is still behind with online banking innovations and personal banker systems. This is a good stepping stone that will help you realize the direction you want to take your career.

ConsIf you are placed in the wrong branch, your life will be miserable because there are Branch Managers who have minimal experience in management and are very poor at coaching and supporting their team. Lots of opportunities available but there is a defined glass ceiling when you try to advance or completely satisfy the customer. Branch Managers who do not support their team to the best of their ability have the pattern of making your career objections a dream and know it is very easy to cut you off at the knees if you apply for an internal position. Citizens Bank is minimally focused on building genuine relationships when compared to how focused they are with sales. There is a hint of 'not being good enough' in through out branches and it is discouraging to those who remember banking as being centered around maintaining customer relationships. There's incentive for new customers to join the bank but very little for existing customers to keep doing business with us unless they regularly bring new deposits to the bank. Heavy utilization of the phone is required and enters the realm of telemarketing. Many question the bank's understanding of lead generation being that there are regular customers who appear on multiple marketing lists and very few unknown customers provided to branch's for sales opportunities. There needs to be more done to ensure customers are not badgered for sales over the phone and in person. Senior Management seems to have lost touch with reality and seems to have a lack of understanding when they expect branches to continuously generate revenue but then mandates a sales process that takes the momentum out of achieving a sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's cheaper for the bank and more sustainable to maintain, strengthen, and to give incentives to existing customers to keep banking with Citizens Bank than it is to continuously be prospecting and selling to new customers. Realize that customers can say no if they do not want a product, it does no good to beat a dead horse and continue to push the sale. Remember, Citizens Bank is a financial institution who has an obligation to its customer to maintain their discretion and privacy. Restrain from becoming a telemarketing and/or sales company. Actively listen to colleagues and show your appreciation for them. The turnover is unacceptable and directly impacts a customer's loyalty to Citizens Bank when they have to familiarize them self with a new face. Be a big bank with a small bank's mentality.

Excellent experience

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent leadership, can be developed to higher positions

Consincentive system need to be improved

Advice to Senior Managementimprove incentive system

Worked for Citizens Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!

Citizens Financial Group Videos

Citizens Financial Group – Why Work for Us?

About Citizens Bank Citizens Bank is a division of RBS Citizens, N.A., operating its seven-state branch network in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont. It has… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Citizens Financial Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun. All 300 reviews posted anonymously by Citizens Financial Group employees.