Citizens Financial Group

Citizens Financial Group Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun

Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is rarely an issue only if the branch's QTD sales numbers are met(in 25 reviews)

• Good Benefits and a changing work environment that's friendly to employees to attract talent(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position(in 25 reviews)

• The company preaches work life balance and that's not what is going on(in 12 reviews)

Different business lines will give you different experiences

ProsDepending on which department you work in, work/life balance and just overall experience is drastically different. Life is tough in the branches. If you are on the corporate side, you get a lot more respect. There are more areas like wealth management or premier.
    If you are in sales... Close lots of business and you walk on water. Also, surprisingly enough the pay is quite good at Citizens.

ConsManagement is the worst thing about this place. I'm always amazed at how upper management seems to find poor managers that bully and rule by fear. Office politics is bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within. Get respectable people that know how to lead, not just the sales guy that gets the goals by any means possible.

Expect to Pay Out of Pocket to Work Here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cranston, RI

ProsGreat experience, pay is strong for certain areas, PTO is generous and very talented employees.

ConsThe bank fails to recognize that the short comings of their plans to reduce costs. The bank is in the process of requiring employees to buy their own equipment. Yes, no lies, your 2015 job requirements will include the ability to buy your own laptop. In addition, the Bank will no longer supply company cellphones starting next year, so if you travel, you will pay out of pocket for all company phone calls. Company coffee has been replaced with a reconverted 1970s vending machine and the bank is no longer supplying supplies such as plastic silverware. You must now purchase the silverware for $.05 plus tax. Since all these changes have been made, people are leaving in droves (lesson, don't take coffee from bankers) and fails to recognize the bleeding of employees. However, employees that stay are rewarded with empty promises, no merit increases and ever increasing workloads without hiring new able bodies. Company moral is bleak at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together and appreciate your employees before all your talent leaves.

Not a place for minorities

Senior Third Party Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) Cranston, RI

ProsGreat place for white Women. Best thing that happened to me since I joined RBS Citizens is I left it.

ConsTreats minorities like aligns. most executives' mentalities goes back to the fifties. regardless of the policies they post and hide behind, when it comes to hiring and promoting minorities, RBS Citizens is the worst company I have seen in my last 30 years of employment. It is known at RBS Citizens that HR is there to cover the company's behind rather than making it right.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the HR policies that you claim is there to protect people of color and face it this is a white dominant place with no room for minorities. 100% of your SVP and about 97% of your VP are pure white. If your get serious about being equal opportunity place, it will take you decades to get there. Why bother?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of potential that will likely never be realized

Information Technology (Current Employee) East Providence, RI

ProsGood benefits. Four weeks vacation to start. Some really great people who put in a lot more effort than, strictly speaking, is required.

ConsExecutive leadership that doesn't seem to have any idea how to run a technology organization. Overly complex, convoluted policies and procedures that ensure nobody can get anything done, ever. Insane separation of duties that fragments responsibilities and makes accountability impossible. Management has no trust in the technologists as a group. In general, while they like to talk about how important colleagues are to the organization, the reality is that people here are treated as widgets to be used and disposed of or swapped out for any reason. No fit for purpose work areas anywhere in the organization. No proper investment in maintaining or improving technology infrastructure in years. No budget for new technology investigation and adoption.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. You're never going to achieve the goals you've laid out if you don't have people working here that have the skills and drive that you need. Such people are not a dime a dozen. Each one is a critical asset to this organization and they deserve to be treated as such.

not the right job for me

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

Prosthe benefits are pretty good

Conspay and advancement opportunities not good

Not so much fun

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Prosfun to deal with customers... good coworkers

Consupper management pushes PUSHES PUSHES sales

Advice to Senior Managementstrive to service our current customers before pushing every product on new customers and scaring them away

A great place to cut your teeth in the banking industry

Business Banking Officer (Former Employee) Lancaster, PA

ProsVery well laid out programs on sales and development opportunities.

ConsUnrealistic sales goals that did not make reasonable commissions

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the profitability of what is asked of staff and see if the goals are actually profitable to the bank.

Great Work/Life balance, but struggles to ease employee fears

Vice President (Current Employee) Cranston, RI

Pros- Great work/life balance for employees
    - Great paid time off policy

ConsSignificant change with separation from RBS, 2014 IPO, etc. that has led to focus on cost cutting which ultimately leads to job cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent on plans to ease employee concerns over job security

Could be so much better

ProsGreat learning bank and tuition reimbursement

ConsMicro Manage, upper managment is disconnected.

It is all in who you know

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDecent benefits, career opportunities for starting your career, coworkers are wonderful people

Constoo tied to Royal Bank of Scotland - IPO coming, everything is about the bottom line.

Worked for Citizens Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!