Citizens Financial Group

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun

Bruce Van Saun

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

overall good experience and variety

Information Security (Current Employee)
    Cranston, RI

Prosgreat team, good place to learn

ConsCompesation may be in line with industry, but trends cause attrition for compensation advancement

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize talent as part of being a better regional bank.

If you still work at CFG- run! The grass is greener!

Information Security (Former Employee)
    Cranston, RI

ProsIn the beginning, the benefits were great, time-off, ability to work remotely

ConsBenefits are outrageously expensive, work life balance is non existent - it's all work, all the time. Senior management is taking more and more out the employees pockets. Raises are a nightmare. No room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are loosing talented people every single day. Take a look around....

The grass is greener on the other side!

Expect to Pay Out of Pocket to Work Here

Cranston, RI

ProsGreat experience, pay is strong for certain areas, PTO is generous and very talented employees.

ConsThe bank fails to recognize that the short comings of their plans to reduce costs. The bank is in the process of requiring employees to buy their own equipment. Yes, no lies, your 2015 job requirements will include the ability to buy your own laptop. In addition, the Bank will no longer supply company cellphones starting next year, so if you travel, you will pay out of pocket for all company phone calls. Company coffee has been replaced with a reconverted 1970s vending machine and the bank is no longer supplying supplies such as plastic silverware. You must now purchase the silverware for $.05 plus tax. Since all these changes have been made, people are leaving in droves (lesson, don't take coffee from bankers) and fails to recognize the bleeding of employees. However, employees that stay are rewarded with empty promises, no merit increases and ever increasing workloads without hiring new able bodies. Company moral is bleak at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together and appreciate your employees before all your talent leaves.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a place for minorities

Senior Third Party Assurance Analyst (Current Employee)
    Cranston, RI

ProsGreat place for white Women. Best thing that happened to me since I joined RBS Citizens is I left it.

ConsTreats minorities like aligns. most executives' mentalities goes back to the fifties. regardless of the policies they post and hide behind, when it comes to hiring and promoting minorities, RBS Citizens is the worst company I have seen in my last 30 years of employment. It is known at RBS Citizens that HR is there to cover the company's behind rather than making it right.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the HR policies that you claim is there to protect people of color and face it this is a white dominant place with no room for minorities. 100% of your SVP and about 97% of your VP are pure white. If your get serious about being equal opportunity place, it will take you decades to get there. Why bother?

Great Work/Life balance, but struggles to ease employee fears

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Cranston, RI

Pros- Great work/life balance for employees
    - Great paid time off policy

ConsSignificant change with separation from RBS, 2014 IPO, etc. that has led to focus on cost cutting which ultimately leads to job cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent on plans to ease employee concerns over job security

Walk the walk and not just talk the talk

Information Technology (Current Employee)
    Cranston, RI

ProsThe bank has a good time off policy, benefits are good, and generally the co-workers care about doing the right thing and a good job

ConsSince announcement of IPO plans and budget constraints , so many people are in a fog about future opportunities/direction. Senior management seems so pre-occupied with making a go of there own situations, that the worker-bees are an afterthought.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't preach transparency and then selectively include/exclude information and people from everyone.

Corporate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cranston, RI

Prosdifferent It related issues everyday good place to learn and see different issues

Consyou can only go up a maximum of 2 grade levels at a time when looking for a job.

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Cranston, RI

ProsVery understanding and flexible, very good people to work with. Felt no unbiased opinions from managers

ConsCould be a little slow paced, little confused with overtaking of charter one and being taken over by RBS as to what policies to abide by

Good Company - But Stuck in 3 to 4 Years of Sr. Mng Turn over that is stunting their Growth

Principal ARCHITECT, VICE PRESIDENT (Current Employee)

ProsGood People to work with
    Good amount of Vacation time
    A lot of remote/work from home opportunities

ConsIT System Landscape is very dated 20+Years old in some cases. This makes implementing change a Challenge.
    Recent Out Sourcing of work to Accenture has failed and left the remaining FTE and Contractors stretched very thin and over worked. It also exposed CFG to a large Gap of SME knowledge as many of the systems are not documented.
    High Contractor to FTE Ratio makes delivering any change at least 2 times more expensive.
    Constant Turn over in Sr. Mng and Direction.
    RBS and the UK government have Stunted their ability to direct change.
    Recent IPO announcements an cuts in 2104 pressure are beginning to drive Sr. Talent out of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementForce the BL and Exco Team to make Technology Investment in the Back Office like BPM, Imaging, and Reporting.
    Make Customer Master data the largest priority in 2014, as almost all servicing and regulatory change is directing us to service in a customer centric fashion.
    Stop letting Projects drive the Base technology descions related to BPM, Imaging, Mobile, and Data Investments. If you invest in these technologies as stand alone investments driven by IT, once the plumbing is upgraded all Project costs will come down over time as Design & Hardware builds will reduce in scope.

Opportunity is available for those who pave their own way, drama is available for those who don't.

Business Performance Analyst (Former Employee)
    Cranston, RI

ProsSolid pay, it's easy to be a rockstar, overachieving is generally rewarded, benefits are strong.

ConsHigh drama environment, big enough that some will ignore you

Advice to Senior ManagementManage your talent better - we hemorrhage the best people because we won't bite the bullet and fire the bad apples.

Worked for Citizens Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!

Citizens Financial Group Videos

Citizens Financial Group – Why Work for Us?

About Citizens Bank Citizens Bank is a division of RBS Citizens, N.A., operating its seven-state branch network in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont. It has… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Citizens Financial Group reviews and ratings in Cranston, RI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Citizens Financial Group employees.