Citizens Financial Group

Citizens Financial Group Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun

Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is rarely an issue only if the branch's QTD sales numbers are met(in 25 reviews)

• Good Benefits and a changing work environment that's friendly to employees to attract talent(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position(in 25 reviews)

• The company preaches work life balance and that's not what is going on(in 12 reviews)

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very aggressive sales environment.

Branch Manager - Instore (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsWorking for Citizens Bank will prepare you for any other banking or sales position. It is the most aggressive and you will learn the most. If you can handle the pressure at Citizens, you can handle it anywhere. It's awesome if you are up for a challenge!!

ConsThings are constantly changing. Employees often feel overwhelmed and incapable of reaching goals. It is possible, but it is challenging to say the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about the fact that it's an aggressive sales culture and stop telling new hires that it's a service culture. They will be less shocked once they get into the trenches.

Horrible place to work

Personal Banker (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsBenefits and vacation time were great!

ConsMicromanagement to the fullest. Not allowed lunch or bathroom breaks. Sell Sell Sell!! Not enough training on one segment. Too many hats to wear for one position. Was at other job for 11 years, sorry I left!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your good employees and ask why does everyone leave???

It is never enough

Assistant Branch Manager II (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGetting paid, benefits, branch co-workers

ConsDont like to promote within, your results are never good enough, high turnover, incompetent management, micromanaging

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to coach positively, and then you will see results

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poster child for poor sales and risk practices

Middle Management (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe branch colleagues and customers you interact with on a daily basis are exceptional. Many people in the branches try to do the right thing for the customers and the company.

ConsAs the goals continue to increase, branch colleagues are forced to sell multiple products of the same kind to customers who do not want or need them. This is evident in the customer satisfaction results and customer complaint logs. Multiple checking is the name of the game and customers do not like it. Family and friends open multiple accounts at the end of wach quarter so colleagues don't lose their jobs because they miss quota. Expectations are set to meet the inflated run rates of year's past which included many bad sales practices. Employee survey results are used as weapons against local management while executive management gets a pass on poor results and high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider really looking into the sales results and do not turn a blind eye to intentional cheating. The last four to five years have resulted in a culture of false results and trying to look good to the UK. Gaming the system is so much part of the culture it is accepted and encouraged so senior management makes their numbers. Nothing has changed in the last four years. Great management has left because of the lack of integrity in the culture.

Not so much fun

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Prosfun to deal with customers... good coworkers

Consupper management pushes PUSHES PUSHES sales

Advice to Senior Managementstrive to service our current customers before pushing every product on new customers and scaring them away

This bank will promise you the world when you are interviewing but there is no advancement or incentive to be acquired.

Banker I (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThere really are not any pros to working here.

ConsDealing with upper management that wants you to sell, sell, sell. They can be downright nasty if you are not producing. Then you go for training about the customer experience and are told you are not supposed to be sales sharks, but instead be truly interested and caring about the customers needs. They do not practice what they preach. They also hire people that have sales experience. It does not matter if you know anything about banking. If you can sell a cellular phone, have worked at Best Buy, or can sell a bra, they will hire you to be a manager. AND, they will pay you much more than an employee that has been with the bank for years and knows everything that you do not know. They also give insignificant annual raises. For two years in a row, the raise most employees received was 1%. We were told there was no money to be had.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou say you care about your customers, but until you put the customers needs first and the sales need second, you will continue to have dissatisfied customers. Employees are also dissatisfied overall. Upper upper management needs to reach out to their bankers and tellers to see what is really happening in their branches.

constantly changing too many new initiatives

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Proslots of opportunity because turnover is high, citizens has good intentions but there are just so many changes at one time that its tough to stay focused on the task at hand, they place too much on the current people and cant get people trained fast enough

Consemployees are spread too thin, expectations are set entirely high, too many initiatives going on at one time.

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on a few initiatives at one time, involve front line prior to making decisions that impact them and without considering how the impacts will be, get it right the first time

Worst job I've Ever Had!!

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Pros- Hours....if you work in a traditional branch. (If you work in an in-store branch, you will work until 7 everyday including holidays and you'll work Saturdays and Sundays until 3)
    - Paid training (pay mileage to training facility)
    - Small bonuses if you can somehow magically manage to meet the quarterly sales goal
    - Three weeks vacation begins immediately
    - pays better than most banks

Cons- Very poor management (micro-managed)
    - Cold calling twice per week until 6 sometimes 7 at night
    - Goals are unattainable and you will be terminated for not hitting them
    - You will stand by Get-Go gas pumps and sell checking accounts and credit cards
    - You will walk up to people shopping for groceries in GE stores and sell accounts and credit cards
    - You will be told an hour before you are due to leave for the day that you're working past close to make cold calls.
    - Very stressful job for the pennies you will make
    - Your manager will make or break your experience here
    - You will be asked to do unethical things in order to hit goal

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging. Hold your managers accountable. Realize that your sales goals are unattainable and unrealistic.

Company Lacks Integrity

Banker I (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsCitizen's Bank only cares about selling anything and everything to customers. There is little to no care about the employees, and the amount of pressure, and unrealistic goals they place on the employees shows the companies lack of integrity. The turn-over rate is absurd, and yet nothing is done to make the employees feel confident about working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-do your hold method of operation. It is not working.

You get promoted if you're friends with the person above you

Local Lean Change Agent (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsLots of travel
    Positions available to low experience employes
    Great way to gain experience in project management

ConsThe individuals chosen for promotions are cocky and arrogant
    The Lean Program is a front for "reallocating human capital". Only problem, reallocating is a loose term that generally means, from CFG's perspective, restructuring a group of employees to the unemployement department.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't BS from day 1.

Worked for Citizens Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!