Citizens Financial Group Reviews in Providence, RI

Updated August 11, 2014

2.5

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is rarely an issue only if the branch's QTD sales numbers are met (in 25 reviews)

• Good Benefits and a changing work environment that's friendly to employees to attract talent (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company preaches work life balance and that's not what is going on (in 13 reviews)

• They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Its better than not working

Current Employee - Call Center  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Call Center in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay office perks time off

Cons

Long hours 3rd shift promotions

No respect for employees at all. Worse every year.

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some managers are good/respect you.

Cons

Salary, benefits (being taken away each year), culture, no advancement opportunities. Benefits are cut back each year, merit-based pay increases are not given most years, if a manager wants to hire you internally for a new role they will have to drop the title of the position if there is too big a gap between what you make and what the position was initially posted for. HR makes that determination. So, you are expected to do the work originally posted, but you are paid a lot less for it. Basically, if you are too good at your job and someone recognizes that and wants to hire you for something much better, you get underpaid for the new role. Then you are told you should be grateful for the opportunity.

For performance reviews, you are graded on a bell-curve against your team. HR denies this if you ask them but management has confirmed this since I started working here. In short, you are used and told to shut up. I will never recommend anyone apply to this company unless you need experience...you will be treated accordingly. For experienced professionals, stay away. Anytime someone talented arrives, they leave soon after.

Stop treating employees like garbage.

Riddled with sub-par management and incompetence. This bank made me hate banking, after 16 years in the industry.

Former Employee - Business Risk Analyst  in  Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Business Risk Analyst in Providence, RI

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generous paid time off (if your Dept. is staffed and you're allowed to take the time off.)

Cons

The only way to advance is to leave your current position and apply for other positions in other areas of the bank. And if you accept another role there's a good chance your responsibilities will be nothing like they told you they'd be.

Horrible "managers". It's a wonder some of them actually find their way to work, let alone earn a VP or SVP title.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A mixed bag of management, projects and treatment of employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Vacation, adoption, and health insurance and 401(k) match are great benefits. My area has finally hired a competent manager, who shows leadership skills, even towards those who are incompetent senior leaders. Community work is truly advocated and supported. People are very excited to be eventually losing the burden of being owned by an international organization that has brought Citizens down.

Cons

Pension, holiday, personal days and spousal health insurance benefits were recently stripped or eliminated. 0 - 3% raises over the last several years. Contractors stay long term in my area and then get hired above existing employee applicants. Politics reigns supreme in my area, frequently above competence. Senior leadership is invisible in terms of strategic goals for our business unit.

Most of the upper management in my business unit should be replaced. If you are in a governing area and the regulators tell you that basically your own organization is incompetent -- many times my many regulators, then it is time for a change.

Great people but crappy morale

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Vice President in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, co-workers, it is nice to be part of a regional bank that has such a great state presence

Cons

Leadership disengaged, do not reward or recognize talent, same people are tapped to do all the work, told to work harder with no additional incentives

If you don't change the current culture people will continue to fly out the door

Fantastic company to work for!

Current Employee - Project Analyst  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits
    Generous paid time off
    Great opportunity for advancement
    Flexible work schedule
    Accessible management team

Cons

At times, management team can be demanding (short time frames, re-work, etc) but requests are understandable given the IPO prep environment that the company is currently in.

Technology has definitely been an issue but great strides are being made to ensure that we have the tools and systems in place to ensure colleagues success.

Not bad, but not great either.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are not bad, lots of departments - so room for advancement.

Cons

Lots of change, benefits getting less as time goes on.

Don't work here if you want to learn and challenge poor practices

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary and benefits are ok, but I found out the person who was previously in my role earned $30,000 more

Cons

If you disagree with a manager, you will become an outcast, exiled to your own lonely island. Your life will be miserable thereafter.

There is so much red tape in the company that you can't even create an Excel sheet without at least 1 manager looking over the work. I'm not even sure my manager understands the nature of my work.

There is no learning. I worked at a larger bank and learned 10x more in half the time. The work I do here is extremely dull and mind-numbing. Nobody cares whether you learn.

Fire all of middle management. They are worthless

Political, and hard to advance . Constantly changing

Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Providence, RI

Pros

Benefits
    PTO
    Commission
    Very reachable sales goals

Cons

Commission structure plan
    Understaffed
    Overworked
    Too competitive in branch
    Always changing commission plan and policies

Relax a little bit when it comes to numbers, and focus a little more n customer service without killing your employees

Worst Company Ever

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nothing good about working here

Cons

Total disrespect for employees by management, upper management is even worse, work you to death and do not care about family. Total environment leads to employees just being a number. Constant threats of outsourcing and layoffs.

Replace all of the current management.

Worked for Citizens Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!