Citizens Financial Group

Citizens Financial Group Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun

Bruce Van Saun

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is rarely an issue only if the branch's QTD sales numbers are met"
    in 22 reviews
  • "they provided good benefits to me as a part time and full time employee"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unrealistic sales goals that did not make reasonable commissions"
    in 24 reviews
  • "The company preaches work life balance and that's not what is going on"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

not the right job for me

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time

Prosthe benefits are pretty good

Conspay and advancement opportunities not good

Fantastic company to work for!

Project Analyst (Current Employee)
Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat pay and benefits
Generous paid time off
Great opportunity for advancement
Flexible work schedule
Accessible management team

ConsAt times, management team can be demanding (short time frames, re-work, etc) but requests are understandable given the IPO prep environment that the company is currently in.

Technology has definitely been an issue but great strides are being made to ensure that we have the tools and systems in place to ensure colleagues success.

Good customer service experience

Teller (Current Employee)
Bensalem, PA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

ProsCo workers assisted you and everyone got along well with each other to maintain branch goals

ConsToo much emphasis on opening accounts that people do not need just for a sale

Great people but crappy morale

Vice President (Current Employee)
Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits, co-workers, it is nice to be part of a regional bank that has such a great state presence

ConsLeadership disengaged, do not reward or recognize talent, same people are tapped to do all the work, told to work harder with no additional incentives

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't change the current culture people will continue to fly out the door

Different business lines will give you different experiences

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDepending on which department you work in, work/life balance and just overall experience is drastically different. Life is tough in the branches. If you are on the corporate side, you get a lot more respect. There are more areas like wealth management or premier.
If you are in sales... Close lots of business and you walk on water. Also, surprisingly enough the pay is quite good at Citizens.

ConsManagement is the worst thing about this place. I'm always amazed at how upper management seems to find poor managers that bully and rule by fear. Office politics is bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within. Get respectable people that know how to lead, not just the sales guy that gets the goals by any means possible.

Not so much fun

Personal Banker (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Prosfun to deal with customers... good coworkers

Consupper management pushes PUSHES PUSHES sales

Advice to Senior Managementstrive to service our current customers before pushing every product on new customers and scaring them away

This bank will promise you the world when you are interviewing but there is no advancement or incentive to be acquired.

Banker I (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere really are not any pros to working here.

ConsDealing with upper management that wants you to sell, sell, sell. They can be downright nasty if you are not producing. Then you go for training about the customer experience and are told you are not supposed to be sales sharks, but instead be truly interested and caring about the customers needs. They do not practice what they preach. They also hire people that have sales experience. It does not matter if you know anything about banking. If you can sell a cellular phone, have worked at Best Buy, or can sell a bra, they will hire you to be a manager. AND, they will pay you much more than an employee that has been with the bank for years and knows everything that you do not know. They also give insignificant annual raises. For two years in a row, the raise most employees received was 1%. We were told there was no money to be had.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou say you care about your customers, but until you put the customers needs first and the sales need second, you will continue to have dissatisfied customers. Employees are also dissatisfied overall. Upper upper management needs to reach out to their bankers and tellers to see what is really happening in their branches.

Walk the walk and not just talk the talk

Information Technology (Current Employee)
Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

ProsThe bank has a good time off policy, benefits are good, and generally the co-workers care about doing the right thing and a good job

ConsSince announcement of IPO plans and budget constraints , so many people are in a fog about future opportunities/direction. Senior management seems so pre-occupied with making a go of there own situations, that the worker-bees are an afterthought.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't preach transparency and then selectively include/exclude information and people from everyone.

One of the worst employers I have ever worked for

Senior Teller (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's hard to think of something good to say... no, I actually cannot think of one thing. If you haven't watched the documentary on RBS in the UK (the company that owns Citizens), I'd highly recommend it to get an idea of the type of culture upper-management is promoting.

I had relatives that worked in other retail branches that are (thankfully) no longer employed by CFG, so I can now say what I really think.

ConsWhere to begin...

-- Zero Class:

One of my relatives recently retired after working at the same branch for 15+ years... they told her to work the weekend AFTER her official retire-date (which she told them about a month in advance) because she "wouldn't be doing anything anyway", and her big send-off was a "GOODBYE!" on the employee schedule the week she was leaving. What a nice way to send someone into retirement after 15+ years of service.

Regional Manager talked to another of my relatives, a teller with 2 years experience, like she was a child -- asked her "Do you understand how a checkbook works?" because there was an outstanding balance on her LOC. Branch Manager yelled in her face and embarrassed her in front of customers.

-- Branch Management:
managers in retail branches and regional directors are extremely unprofessional (I've worked at 2 or 3 different branches and dealt with multiple regional managers, so I have a good sense of the overall culture, not just for 1 branch).

-- Development:
Peers and managers do just enough to get by, no initiative takers or outside-the-box thinkers; this culture and work ethic permeates down to the newest hire

-- High Pressure Sales Environment:
managers push tellers to sell products that are lackluster and add no benefit for the customers we service; just selling customers something for the sake of selling. If you don't hit your "sales goals" each quarter, you are given warnings and can be terminated. Tellers aren't sellers, they're there to take deposits and maintain customer accounts. Terrible business model.

-- Office Politics:
highly political environment; e.g. someone who did 10x less work than I did was promoted over me because he was a favorite of the branch manager. I'm glad now that I didn't get promoted.

I'd go on, but this is getting ridiculously long.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your employees like dirt; hire professionals that can manage people without all the politics. Invest in your employees (time and money). Pay your people more so they can serve your customer better, instead of spending millions on candy that customers couldn't care less about.

Great Work/Life balance, but struggles to ease employee fears

Vice President (Current Employee)
Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Great work/life balance for employees
- Great paid time off policy

ConsSignificant change with separation from RBS, 2014 IPO, etc. that has led to focus on cost cutting which ultimately leads to job cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent on plans to ease employee concerns over job security

Worked for Citizens Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!

Citizens Financial Group Videos

Citizens Financial Group – Why Work for Us?

About Citizens Bank Citizens Bank is a division of RBS Citizens, N.A., operating its seven-state branch network in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont. It has… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Citizens Financial Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun. All 300 reviews posted anonymously by Citizens Financial Group employees.