Citizens Financial Group

Updated October 21, 2014
2.5

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is well respected and most managers are supportive of colleagues needs (in 25 reviews)

• I didn't receive benefits from here but from what I heard there were good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • there is no work life balance as there use to be (in 17 reviews)

• They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

The company is fair. It is a bit technologically behind the times. There is somewhat of a micromanage culture present

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary is competitve for the area that the bank is located in. This is a strong attraction for this firm

Cons

The micromanage culture in an effort to produce quality numbers is a big negative. It will limit the talent pool in my opinion

horrible place to work

I worked at Citizens Financial Group

Pros

not many pros other than full benefits

Cons

HR is horrible at dealing with issues, compensation plan is atrocious, upper management does not care about their people only numbers, goals are out of control and unattainable

listen to your people, visit your people without making them coaching sessions, make the goals more attainable and make sure your RM's are dividing the goals properly to each branch. I could have run circles around my RM.

Horrible Experience

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

training, overtime, mileage, customers are nice

Cons

horrible sallery, no leadership, no help, horrible management, no work balance, not an easy going company to work for, and all about sales and no respect.

respect, and help your workers and give everyone good leadership, compensation, and try to help balance workers work and life.

Banker II

Former Employee - Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, and working with customers

Cons

Management horrible upper management, bad leadership, do not respect employees they are all about themselves

Care about your employees learn to value you them. Lead by example.....

Worst Company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues, Competitive Salary. Poor Incentive Stucture.

Cons

No work Life Balance ,overworked ,staff shortages throughout footprint, extensive numerous daily conference calls, micro-micromanaged. Unrealistic Goals

This company lost sight of what is really important. Customers and Colleagues should be the most important. This company only cares about making money at the expense of its employees and customers. They do not care about their customers or employees. All they care about is if you met all 10 goals for the day and if you did, great ,, now what else are you going to achieve today. Management should actually work in the branch day in and day out and do what they require their employees to do. Lets go walk the Walk. They can talk the talk.

Drama

Former Employee - Teller in Portsmouth, OH
    Former Employee - Teller in Portsmouth, OH

I worked at Citizens Financial Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had a very light work load with lots of down time. Played a lot of Candy Crush. They were flexible with scheduling, and our bonuses were usually good. An extra $300 quarterly for not much work.

Cons

Light work load and lots of down time. There were times when we were very busy but often we sat around doing nothing this lead to lots of office drama. More like High school than an office with people gossiping behind backs. Management tried to please everyone. Not much opportunity for growth. There weren't any positions available to move towards when I was there and when we did need more tellers, corporate placed a hiring freeze.

Give tellers more responsibility.

Low Pay High expectations

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Albany, NY

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to move up since everybody leaves

Cons

You may want to quit before you get promoted

The Mortgage dept is horrendous, please have a business analyst streamline the process. Also, base pay should increase... a banker shouldn't be earning McDonalds wages. Finally, the universal banker role is such an obvious cost cutting mechanism. Two roles for the price of one? You should stick with the specialty positions from before. Going back and forth all day from platform to BIC is guaranteeing that I look elsewhere for employment. And I'm not some loser riding the bottom ranks. I'm actually one of the regions top bankers with over 7 years in banking.

Carrot on a stick

Current Employee - Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Personal Banker

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time

Pros

This company offers decent paid time off, although they have recently decreased the amount of time given per year. If you're not salaried, you'll rarely be asked to work overtime. Some branches are open 7 days a week allowing flexible and varied work schedule. Matched 401k contribution (decreasing in 2015.)

Cons

Company is changing to a profit and loss system for branches. Benefits plans get worse each year. Outside hires make significantly more than in house promoted colleagues leading to corrupted morale. Company has stopped providing water to branches (for both customers and employees). Sales incentive plans are overhauled each year leading to confusion about commissions. Sales goals are evenly spread out across all branches leading to unattainable goals for most colleagues except those in growing demographics. Employee reviews are based entirely on sales performance. Management tends to use threats to enforce sales regimen.

Offer competitive benefits and incentive pay to draw talented employees. Build an intelligent and attainable incentive program and stick with it. Provide seminars on effective communication skills for all colleagues.

No longer about the people......

Former Employee - Senior Vice President
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They used to try to make it like it was a family. No matter how big it got, they still made overtures to ensure that the employees felt appreciated and wanted to come to work. That's gone now.

Cons

There is such hubris in the executive ranks, and many of them aren't even qualified to do their job. They are so out of touch with what it really takes to get something done. And they try to do too much in a very risky way.

You say you want to recruit great people, but who would want to come to a place with no work-life balance and continue to get benefits taken away. and have to work harder for less compensation. You either need to find some other enticement than money, or pay up for what you need and want. Otherwise, there is very little likelihood that all your strategic things will happen like you want them too.

Citizens is a great workplace when everyone work together as a team.

Former Employee - Senior Operations Clerk in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Clerk in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great learning opportunities and room to grow, as long as you are in good standing you are allowed to transfer to different branches and departments.

Cons

The pay was ok but if the company is "not able to give raises" than you miss out on a year of pay increase. At the same time you read about the company purchasing ballparks and sponsoring different events where money is involved.

In the department I worked in there was no mandatory or yearly management training given to managers. This would have been a great way to refresh the managers managing styles for those who have been there for many years. It was difficult at times dealing with managers that weren’t professional.

Citizens Financial Group Photos