Citizens Financial Group

Updated October 29, 2014
2.5

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is well respected and most managers are supportive of colleagues needs (in 25 reviews)

• I didn't receive benefits from here but from what I heard there were good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • there is no work life balance as there use to be (in 19 reviews)

• They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Micromanaged

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros here aren't many. Good amount of vacation, and decent benefits.

Cons

There are probably too many to list here. You will be micromanaged daily. They go as far as having managers plan your days down to the hour. The regionals and upper management are completely out of touch with the branches. The goals increase quarterly and become more outlandish. The culture is changing from doing what's right for customer to doing what's right for the bottom line. The incentive plan is moving to a profit and loss based system and regionals are pushing service fees as profit. Regionals are also pushing for branches to fake accounts and credit cards. They hardly ever promote from within, but will hire gas station cashiers or lingerie store cashiers as managers at a higher pay rate than those promoted. Many of the managers are under trained and are being trained by their employees. Be prepared to work for the company for years and then have to train and babysit your boss on a daily basis. Very high turnover rate not just for bankers but also for branch and regional managers. The branches are always short staffed and the current bankers are expected to increase their sales production to make up for shortages. The hours for in store bankers are terrible.

Review your management training or lack thereof. Find a way to learn what really happens in the branches and what it is like to work in one. Work on a way to retain your top employees instead of letting them leave.

Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job that gives great exposure to the financial services industry. Depending on where your branch is located, you could be rewarded with competent management both at the branch and regional level. If you work in a traditional stand alone branch you'll have holidays and Sundays off as well as rotating Saturdays. There are a lot of career opportunities available however, the bank has made it quite evident that they want to keep their sales staff in the branches and not give them the opportunity to move to the corporate offices. The customers for the most part are great and after they get use to seeing your face on a consistent basis, they will keep coming back to you. Depending on your branch, your coworkers could be so much fun to work with especially when everyone understands that everyone feels the same way.

Cons

If I knew what the job actually was at the time which I interviewed, I would have never accepted the offer. Management is putting multiple responsibilities on the shoulders of its underpaid branch staff and is not offering or approving requests for pay increases. Sales goals and the incentive program go hand in hand when you see how little you get for a quarterly bonus. The conference calls, reporting, call nights, the Customer Experience Process (which is a monster of its own), all are a waste of time when you see how little your quarterly bonus is. No one cares one bit about what is good for the client. They only care about making the daily sales goals and quarterly bonuses. If a customer has weak sales resistance, they are as good as gold in the branch. It's not personal banking and the theme is clear, how much can we get out of the customer today. Be prepared for a lot of call nights until 6 or 7pm and also be prepared to realize you are calling the same customers all the time most likely for the same products.

It's sad that every colleague is aware how much the CEO is going to be making after the upcoming IPO, how much senior management is taken care of (i.e. housing expense, astronomical salaries), and how little branch staff gets in return for all that we do. If it weren't for the branches badgering customers in the branch, outside the branch, and on the phone for sales and referrals, none of the well compensated back office/corporate staff would have jobs. People are quitting and are openly talking about applying to or interviewing for new jobs in ways similar to how people talk about planning a vacation. The turn over is shameful and it's has gone to the point in which people don't bother getting to know each other because it's a revolving door. The bank has created a poor reputation in regards to how it treats its colleagues and customers through out the industry amongst former or prospective customers and competing banks.

Good management and competitive pay

Former Employee - Teller Manager in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Teller Manager in Quincy, MA

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I always enjoyed the people I worked with. I was pretty satisfied with my pay and my time off.

Cons

I know some people who didn't have as good a relationship with their managers and coworkers as I did. It is also a very intense sales environment. You are expected to try and sell a product to every customer you help.

horrible place to work

I worked at Citizens Financial Group

Pros

not many pros other than full benefits

Cons

HR is horrible at dealing with issues, compensation plan is atrocious, upper management does not care about their people only numbers, goals are out of control and unattainable

listen to your people, visit your people without making them coaching sessions, make the goals more attainable and make sure your RM's are dividing the goals properly to each branch. I could have run circles around my RM.

Horrible Experience

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

training, overtime, mileage, customers are nice

Cons

horrible sallery, no leadership, no help, horrible management, no work balance, not an easy going company to work for, and all about sales and no respect.

respect, and help your workers and give everyone good leadership, compensation, and try to help balance workers work and life.

Banker II

Former Employee - Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, and working with customers

Cons

Management horrible upper management, bad leadership, do not respect employees they are all about themselves

Care about your employees learn to value you them. Lead by example.....

Carrot on a stick

Current Employee - Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Personal Banker

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time

Pros

This company offers decent paid time off, although they have recently decreased the amount of time given per year. If you're not salaried, you'll rarely be asked to work overtime. Some branches are open 7 days a week allowing flexible and varied work schedule. Matched 401k contribution (decreasing in 2015.)

Cons

Company is changing to a profit and loss system for branches. Benefits plans get worse each year. Outside hires make significantly more than in house promoted colleagues leading to corrupted morale. Company has stopped providing water to branches (for both customers and employees). Sales incentive plans are overhauled each year leading to confusion about commissions. Sales goals are evenly spread out across all branches leading to unattainable goals for most colleagues except those in growing demographics. Employee reviews are based entirely on sales performance. Management tends to use threats to enforce sales regimen.

Offer competitive benefits and incentive pay to draw talented employees. Build an intelligent and attainable incentive program and stick with it. Provide seminars on effective communication skills for all colleagues.

Low Pay High expectations

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Albany, NY

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to move up since everybody leaves

Cons

You may want to quit before you get promoted

The Mortgage dept is horrendous, please have a business analyst streamline the process. Also, base pay should increase... a banker shouldn't be earning McDonalds wages. Finally, the universal banker role is such an obvious cost cutting mechanism. Two roles for the price of one? You should stick with the specialty positions from before. Going back and forth all day from platform to BIC is guaranteeing that I look elsewhere for employment. And I'm not some loser riding the bottom ranks. I'm actually one of the regions top bankers with over 7 years in banking.

Three years as a teller at CFG...

Current Employee - Teller in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Teller in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Benefits are excellent.
    -In traditional braches, hours are good.
    -You will develop fulfilling bonds with many of your customers.
    -If you're looking for a long-term career in banking, there are plenty of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

-Emphasis on sales is a bit too strong on the teller side, though this is beginning to change.
    -Turnover is very high.
    -Perhaps due to the large footprint of the company, upper management seems detached from day-to-day branch operations.
    -With CFG currently in the process of breaking with the Royal Bank of Scotland, this may not be the best time to join CFG/Citizens.

-Spend more time in braches and get a feel for what your retail employees do every day.
    -Examine turnover trends with an eye to retaining quality employees.

HIgh pressure of pushing you to sell,make your goal.

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation, first step to get into finance

Cons

Almost immpossible referral goal tomake

Citizens Financial Group Photos