Citrix Systems Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
3.8

Citrix Systems President, CEO, and Director Mark B. Templeton
Mark B. Templeton

Pros
  • The ability to work from home really helped gain a better work/life balance (in 142 reviews)

• It's generally easy to work from home for a day or so or take time off (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is no longer existent (use to be something coveted here) (in 22 reviews)

• The 'middle management' makes all the decisions without leveraging the talent below them (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Tech Company

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good work culture. Flexible work and balanced environment. People treat each other with respect. Opportunity to work on leading products and technology.

Cons

Not the most flashy company. Could do better on comp and stock. Office facility in Hyderabad and Bangalore could be beefed up to be on par with US and UK standards.

Sales Manager

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative company and great culture.

Cons

Need to change old internal processes.

Make more decisions based off of the feedback from the employees on the front lines.

An amazing place to work with great benefits and lots of flexibiliity

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful people, great culture, amazing benefits and work/life balance

Cons

Some departments can be political and title driven

Good collegeA

I worked at Citrix Systems

Pros

Nice work life balance nice people

Cons

Same as industry people have to fight for own benefit

Unlike the others, this is a review from someone who is neither management or a male engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a calculated risk, but if you're fresh out of college and need a large company on your resume, it does help with that. It's actually great for the resume, but you'll have to set a time limit for yourself and remind yourself that NO, not all companies are like this. It gets better.

Cons

The #1 challenge of working at Citrix as a woman: sexual harassment.

No one does anything about the men's behavior, and no one cares. There's a great coffee counter they added, and then a week later a group of guys permanently moved themselves and their laptops right in front of the coffee area and stare at girls inappropriately as they wait in line.

A man acted very inappropriately in the elevator to me early on there, and after I told others, he continued to act this way. He would stop and stare at me up and down in the cafeteria, at company events — anywhere, in front of anyone.

It gets very old being sold "perks," but finding out very well that you can only use the company gym on off hours with a group to avoid being hit on or leered at, or having to ask a friend to go with you to the coffee bar because there's safety in numbers with the dude that will stand close enough to smell your shampoo all the way through the line.

#2 challenge: Office politics at a level I have never seen before or after, and abusive behavior from management.

I watched management personally insult employees horrifically ("I hate your personality and your jokes aren't funny"), and then decide in cycles to pinpoint particularly employees to be shouted at in meetings and made to cry in weekly meetings. I watched management circle the workspace to look over our shoulders, three times daily on the dot.

And slowly, as some of the most victimized employees became more exhausted, they took their experiences to HR, and to upper management. Nothing happened. No one cared. That management is still there, still treating the employees the same way after years. Still making everyone cry. I left after 3 others had quit (with or without new jobs), and after I left, 3 more and counting have also given notice. Upper management sees no problem.

Bottom line: Things will happen. You will cry when you leave work, and no one will care. You may talk to management, you may talk to HR, and they'll be reassuring, but nothing will change and no one will risk their own good standing to say "There's a problem here." If you have problems, keep this in mind. You have to a) suck it up until you have a respectable amount of time on your resume, or b) quit at a possibly inopportune time for yourself.

I don't have advice for upper management because I haven't seen anyone in upper management that I didn't think was full-on part of the problem. They all just need to stop -- stop this company, stop enabling horrible behavior, just QUIT.

But I have some advice for the shareholders: RUN.

Great place to work

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Talented people, good products and and an al round good place to work. Big discrepancies between the quality of the actual office though, particularly in Sales areas.

Cons

Long hours are needed to keep up with the work load. I regularly work 70 hours a week

Remember that the further down you go, the longer hours people tend to work

Smart people stuck in Stone Age culture

Former Employee - Technical Publications in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Publications in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very diverse group of people. Smart, fun, eager to network and collaborate.
    Flexible WFH (work from home) policy; great for parents or people with medical needs.
    Laid-back vibe.
    Great mentors available.

Cons

Death by PPT. Meeting-heavy culture, especially if leadership is based in FL (HQ). Different groups don't collaborate like they should, let alone share their findings. Too much red tape and politics.

Start setting up informal collaboration sessions a la Toastmasters. Get people to collaborate on Citrix and non-Citrix ideas. The point should be to break everyone out of their shell.

Institute a meeting "budget" based on employee S-level. If lower tier employee, total of 4 hours per week. This forces management to be more judicious with scheduling meetings.

Always have someone take notes or meeting isn't valid. Should be mandatory. Always have meeting agenda sent with invite.

Number one: you need 360 degree feedback. Employee should be able to review her manager and report to senior leadership, even the org VP/SVP, in performance reviews.

One component of MBO should be "Alleviate a common frustration of your team." The manager should strive to hit this MBO every quarter.

Managers should not be managing projects for the first 12 months or 4 COMPLETED (not aborted) projects; use dedicated PMs or assign individuals as PM leads to build PM skills.

Work Better, Live Better!

Current Employee - Customer Marketing Program Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Marketing Program Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

A truly innovative compnay that makes it possible to balance work and life. A business minded and design driven company that is leading change and inpiring others. Citrix has a warm and collaborative culture designed for employess to achieve above and beyond their full potential.

Cons

The uncertainty one can feel at times about becoming a permanent employee after contracting for over a year is a bit unsettling at times. A contractor position is a great way to get your foot in the door at this amazing company yet waiting to become permanent can take longer than expected.

Good Work-life Balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

Poor personal career growth. Some managers are not professional enough.

Improve employees' personal growth.

Great people, physical environment and culture.

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good culture and morale, upbeat business model, enthusiasm and motivation.

Cons

Big company, sometimes change comes slowly.

Make sure to keep morale and excitement in mind while growing the company. You are at the size where sometimes the corporate mentality takes over the human factor. Keep it right!