Citrix Systems

Updated January 29, 2015
3.7

Citrix Systems President, CEO, and Director Mark B. Templeton
Mark B. Templeton

Pros
  • The ability to work from home really helped gain a better work/life balance (in 149 reviews)

• It's generally easy to work from home for a day or so or take time off (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is no longer existent (use to be something coveted here) (in 27 reviews)

• The 'middle management' makes all the decisions without leveraging the talent below them (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, rewarding work.

Former Employee - Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Citrix Systems as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I felt like what I was working on mattered. Also, feel like higher up employees were more accessible than normal.

Cons

Not very forward thinking, very reactive. Fairly bureaucratic too.

Mingle more.

Love the flexible workstyle. Working when and where I want is amazing.

Current Employee - Corporate Citizenship
    Current Employee - Corporate Citizenship

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, nice coworkers, great locations, community-minded company, innovation driven company

Cons

Some managers are better than others, suppose that happens everywhere. Personally think they keep contact workers too long before converting to full time employees

Good place to work

I have been working at Citrix Systems

Pros

Friendly and laid back work environment.

Cons

Fast paced and frequent changes.

Too many Yes's

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best work-life balance of any company
    Vibrant, happy people in many organizations
    Compassion and care in doing the right thing for people
    Market share leadership in two spaces
    Not resting on cash-cow business
    Recognize need to innovate and create great user experiences

Cons

Not clear who does what
    Takes too many yes's to get a business case approved and resourced
    Too many great ideas die due to rigid organizational boundaries

Create an innovation board that will approve ideas and ensure they get the support of their landing organization

Great Work life balance

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Citrix Systems

Pros

A lot of money to be made if you put in the effort.

Cons

A lot of calling and can be stressful hitting goal

No micro management. Less Politics. Work from home since we are the creators of it

Sales Engineer

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Juan, PR

I have been working at Citrix Systems

Pros

Good benefits, peace of mind when doing the numbers

Cons

Company waste time on new products that already exists on the market and that are better from the one they are developing.They should stick with their main product and develop a better version.

Management should listen to their Sales Engineers and not to their Developers.

Culture

Former Employee - Finance in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Balance of Life and Work and good benefit

Cons

too much procedure and Delay

Good company but stay away from sales

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great technical support and technical management. Products have a solid reputation and have limited competition in their core markets .

Cons

Competition is getting stronger as VMWare gets more serious about end user computing. Microsoft RDS is getting to be "good enough" for smaller shops. Citrix doesn't play defence well and doesn't compete well outside their current account base with new products.

Sales management is terrible as they only focus on themselves. Be prepared for a high quota, limited accounts and no upward mobility. There is limited structure on who get what accounts and is usually given out by who has the directors ear at the time or who are his drinking buddies. Sales Managers are retreads from other companies and never carried a bag at Citrix.

Frat boy mentality where knowing college football is almost as important as knowing your product.

Place suffers from "Emperor New Clothes Syndrome."

Product quality has been slipping as of late.

I think all the glowing reviews must be from HR as it isnt the same company I worked at.

test the product better, and promote from within.

Good people, decent work, great culture!

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time

Pros

+ The starting pay is very competitive, especially since Fort Lauderdale has a lower cost of living than Silicon Valley or even Seattle.
    + Unless you get stuck fixing bugs, the work that you do can actually be interesting. Actually, even the bugs can look interesting in retrospect -- once you get past the pain, of course!
    + For the most part, there are some fantastic, friendly people around.
    + Compared to other tech companies, you don't work that much. I've only been asked to work overtime once this year. That was the weekend two weeks before code was to be finalized for Release. Apart from that, my manager has never asked me to work for even a second over forty.
    + Hours are very flexible. Depending on your team and manager, you might get away with coming in as late as noon. On the other hand, if you're a morning person, you might come in early and leave by 3pm! And since Citrix develops mobile and remote office products, it's pretty normal if you take a day or two per week to work from home. Honestly at least in development, no one cares as long as you meet your deadlines.
    + Benefits are fairly competitive. 20 PTO days to start off, increasing by 5 every 5 years. Good healthcare plans. Subsidized meals. Free snacks.

Cons

- Citrix feels old. There has been zero innovation in the company in the last 5 years. Most senior management sounds like politicians. "Citrix is brimming with Synergy, Cloud, Innovation..." Vague words that tell us nothing.
    - There is no reward for performance. The approach to pay is fairly communistic in nature. Everyone starts off the same, gets the same raise, gets promoted at the same rate -- regardless of how much or how little they give to the company.
    - Very few career opportunities. Promotions are not based on performance. Most managers SAY that everyone gets promoted based on merit, but this isn't really true. Everyone gets promoted in 2 to 3 years. I know people who have been working 60 hours a week with 15 minute lunch breaks delivering great code, and people who have been working 40 hours a week but taking 2 hour breaks and goofing off all the time for the last 5 years . They usually both have the same title, and therefore the same pay, since pay is based on tiers.

1. Senior management needs to tell us, in simple words, what exactly is the plan to grow Citrix?
    2.People need to be rewarded based on performance. I feel that management deliberately does not give out raises, since they know most employees have kids and families, are stuck with the Citrix in Florida, and will not move to the Valley where the other tech giants are.

Great place to work, but not a great place to advance your career

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome life-work balance, amazing benefits, great culture, great technology. I loved working at Citrix.

Cons

Promotion is usually handled via two weeks' notice - it's very hard to get promoted without threatening to leave.

Make the career path process more transparent to employees.