Citrix Systems

Updated January 30, 2015
3.7

Citrix Systems President, CEO, and Director Mark B. Templeton
Mark B. Templeton

Pros
  • The ability to work from home really helped gain a better work/life balance (in 149 reviews)

• It's generally easy to work from home for a day or so or take time off (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is no longer existent (use to be something coveted here) (in 27 reviews)

• The 'middle management' makes all the decisions without leveraging the talent below them (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people, decent work, great culture!

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time

Pros

+ The starting pay is very competitive, especially since Fort Lauderdale has a lower cost of living than Silicon Valley or even Seattle.
    + Unless you get stuck fixing bugs, the work that you do can actually be interesting. Actually, even the bugs can look interesting in retrospect -- once you get past the pain, of course!
    + For the most part, there are some fantastic, friendly people around.
    + Compared to other tech companies, you don't work that much. I've only been asked to work overtime once this year. That was the weekend two weeks before code was to be finalized for Release. Apart from that, my manager has never asked me to work for even a second over forty.
    + Hours are very flexible. Depending on your team and manager, you might get away with coming in as late as noon. On the other hand, if you're a morning person, you might come in early and leave by 3pm! And since Citrix develops mobile and remote office products, it's pretty normal if you take a day or two per week to work from home. Honestly at least in development, no one cares as long as you meet your deadlines.
    + Benefits are fairly competitive. 20 PTO days to start off, increasing by 5 every 5 years. Good healthcare plans. Subsidized meals. Free snacks.

Cons

- Citrix feels old. There has been zero innovation in the company in the last 5 years. Most senior management sounds like politicians. "Citrix is brimming with Synergy, Cloud, Innovation..." Vague words that tell us nothing.
    - There is no reward for performance. The approach to pay is fairly communistic in nature. Everyone starts off the same, gets the same raise, gets promoted at the same rate -- regardless of how much or how little they give to the company.
    - Very few career opportunities. Promotions are not based on performance. Most managers SAY that everyone gets promoted based on merit, but this isn't really true. Everyone gets promoted in 2 to 3 years. I know people who have been working 60 hours a week with 15 minute lunch breaks delivering great code, and people who have been working 40 hours a week but taking 2 hour breaks and goofing off all the time for the last 5 years . They usually both have the same title, and therefore the same pay, since pay is based on tiers.

1. Senior management needs to tell us, in simple words, what exactly is the plan to grow Citrix?
    2.People need to be rewarded based on performance. I feel that management deliberately does not give out raises, since they know most employees have kids and families, are stuck with the Citrix in Florida, and will not move to the Valley where the other tech giants are.

Great place to work, but not a great place to advance your career

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome life-work balance, amazing benefits, great culture, great technology. I loved working at Citrix.

Cons

Promotion is usually handled via two weeks' notice - it's very hard to get promoted without threatening to leave.

Make the career path process more transparent to employees.

So Far...so good

Current Employee - Technical Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Relationship Manager

I have been working at Citrix Systems

Pros

My area is very flexible and receptive to working remote.

Cons

There seems tob e a ack of proper training

Listen more to the worker bees advise.

Incredible culture

I have been working at Citrix Systems

Pros

Flexible work schedule, competitive pay

Cons

uncertainty with direction of company

Solid Silicon Valley player

Former Employee - Consulting in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Consulting in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Warm and intelligent senior leadership, design-first thinking, some smart acquisitions. Great program for recent college grads- a good way for more junior resources to gain experience in a large corporate environment.

Cons

Still has the bones of a large, old-school software company which limits the pace of innovation- though not uncommon for a company of this size.

Keep making bold acquisition choices- keep pursuing these forward-thinking investments in order to keep the company relevant.

Mostly good

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time

Pros

good work life balance, great products

Cons

limited advancement opportunities, too much bureaucracy

I love working here. My friends are envious!

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is by far the best company I've worked for

-Ability to work from home
    -Great culture
    -Smart employees working on cutting-edge technology
    -Management respects your opinion and is open to new ideas

Cons

Have to really 'fight' for promotions. If you don't push it, it won't happen. The process can take 6 months to a year to come to fruition, so start marketing yourself early!

Infrastructure has been slow to catch up with the rate of company growth. On the bright side, this has been recognized by management and in a few years we'll be a well oiled machine!

VP's across the organization should share the same Citrix vision. A few departments management ideology doesn't fit the overall vision and can stall or de-rail daily operations and projects.

Good Company

I have been working at Citrix Systems

Pros

There is a Community Feel, they are Fair

Cons

When someone is not doing their job or pulling their weight, its not easy to let them go.

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Incredible Product Roadmap and a continued investment in technology and leading edge incubators
    Strong values exhibited by leadership -- especially Mark Templeton, Chris Hylen and Sudhakar Ramakrishna.
    Smart, funny, transparent and dedicated colleagues -- throughout the organization
    Truly embraces their solution set -- I can work from anywhere
    $3B company that is relatively flat -- lots of room for new ideas, growth and development

Cons

Needs to invest in internal systems and processes.
    There is currently too much review and approval needed for every day decisions.

Continue to listen to the voices of the new leadership. As we grow, the some of the legacy leadership styles will need to change and develop.

Just a number

I have been working at Citrix Systems

Pros

Good benefits, that is about it

Cons

You are just a number

Treat everyone the same