Citrix Systems

Updated November 22, 2014
3.8

Citrix Systems President, CEO, and Director Mark B. Templeton
Mark B. Templeton

Pros
  • The ability to work from home really helped gain a better work/life balance (in 147 reviews)

• It's generally easy to work from home for a day or so or take time off (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is no longer existent (use to be something coveted here) (in 22 reviews)

• The 'middle management' makes all the decisions without leveraging the talent below them (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

A Company which still tries to find a place on the market.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Quite good pay, specifically for South Florida.

Cons

There seems to be no idea how to drive the company to the future. The goal to become a 5B company by 2015 does not look achievable. The cloud bandwagon moves much too fast for Citrix. Nobody above manager position has deeper knowledge about technology and the only bright star is a visionary CEO. Therefore big decisions are made by "trusted" people and without broad discussion. A culture of saving money in wrong places is astonishing. One of side effects, the key IT positions are understaffed.

Can somebody evaluate directors performance? Does company need this bureaucracy layer in its structure at all?

Smart people stuck in Stone Age culture

Former Employee - Technical Publications in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Publications in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very diverse group of people. Smart, fun, eager to network and collaborate.
    Flexible WFH (work from home) policy; great for parents or people with medical needs.
    Laid-back vibe.
    Great mentors available.

Cons

Death by PPT. Meeting-heavy culture, especially if leadership is based in FL (HQ). Different groups don't collaborate like they should, let alone share their findings. Too much red tape and politics.

Start setting up informal collaboration sessions a la Toastmasters. Get people to collaborate on Citrix and non-Citrix ideas. The point should be to break everyone out of their shell.

Institute a meeting "budget" based on employee S-level. If lower tier employee, total of 4 hours per week. This forces management to be more judicious with scheduling meetings.

Always have someone take notes or meeting isn't valid. Should be mandatory. Always have meeting agenda sent with invite.

Number one: you need 360 degree feedback. Employee should be able to review her manager and report to senior leadership, even the org VP/SVP, in performance reviews.

One component of MBO should be "Alleviate a common frustration of your team." The manager should strive to hit this MBO every quarter.

Managers should not be managing projects for the first 12 months or 4 COMPLETED (not aborted) projects; use dedicated PMs or assign individuals as PM leads to build PM skills.

Cool co-workers

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you end up in the right group on the right project you can find interesting work. The vacation benefits are good. My direct management is generally relaxed. I have excellent coworkers and flexible work hours.

Cons

Closedown madness. Clueless upper management that has been starving the organization that makes the most money for the company. Far too much upper management (too many VPs). Did I mention to many VPs? Reorgs. Upper level management churn that results in VPs that have no idea what we do. Some people in upper management appear to be actively trying to destroy some of our products. Management as a whole has a tendency to micromanage engineering. Some parts of Test are outsourced to China which makes communication and getting access to reproduction environments suck.

Increase the 401k benefits. Keep people on projects (context switches are expensive here).

Great Company, Great People

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The People and the product were great at Citrix. Mark Templeton's vision is alive and well within Citrix, and it should remain there. Although some of the leadership has moved on, the company will be OK in the future.

Cons

Senior Sales Leadership has no experience in Sales, and a good number of regional VPs have never carried a bag. Not to say someone has to have been a salesman to be a good sales leader, but there should be some experience at the senior level that has in fact been a quota carrying salesperson. As a result, multiple missteps have been made in the last several years, which have cumulatively really hurt the company.

Sales is also an old boys club, if you weren't a part of the consulting acquisition several years ago, you will have a much more difficult time climbing the corporate sales ladder.

It is time for change in sales leadership. Bring in, or promote someone who

Good Work-life Balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

Poor personal career growth. Some managers are not professional enough.

Improve employees' personal growth.

The best employer in Florida

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team and culture, supportive management, amazing products that I truly believe in along with the most flexible work life balance that I've ever experienced. Also free drinks and snacks in all corporate buildings.

Cons

Large company so things take time to get through approval process because it has so many levels to go up and get signed off.

Keep innovating and keep the foot on the gas. Don't give VMware a chance to catch up.

Great company, great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Technology
    Opportunities for growth
    Learn new things, stay current

Cons

Some of the offices aren't up to par with the industry standard.

Great employer

Current Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, salary is comparable. Lots of days off, great culture

Cons

Can be high stress and you can be on the phone for hours on end

Nothing I can think of off top of my head

Unlike the others, this is a review from someone who is neither management or a male engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a calculated risk, but if you're fresh out of college and need a large company on your resume, it does help with that. It's actually great for the resume, but you'll have to set a time limit for yourself and remind yourself that NO, not all companies are like this. It gets better.

Cons

The #1 challenge of working at Citrix as a woman: sexual harassment.

No one does anything about the men's behavior, and no one cares. There's a great coffee counter they added, and then a week later a group of guys permanently moved themselves and their laptops right in front of the coffee area and stare at girls inappropriately as they wait in line.

A man acted very inappropriately in the elevator to me early on there, and after I told others, he continued to act this way. He would stop and stare at me up and down in the cafeteria, at company events — anywhere, in front of anyone.

It gets very old being sold "perks," but finding out very well that you can only use the company gym on off hours with a group to avoid being hit on or leered at, or having to ask a friend to go with you to the coffee bar because there's safety in numbers with the dude that will stand close enough to smell your shampoo all the way through the line.

#2 challenge: Office politics at a level I have never seen before or after, and abusive behavior from management.

I watched management personally insult employees horrifically ("I hate your personality and your jokes aren't funny"), and then decide in cycles to pinpoint particularly employees to be shouted at in meetings and made to cry in weekly meetings. I watched management circle the workspace to look over our shoulders, three times daily on the dot.

And slowly, as some of the most victimized employees became more exhausted, they took their experiences to HR, and to upper management. Nothing happened. No one cared. That management is still there, still treating the employees the same way after years. Still making everyone cry. I left after 3 others had quit (with or without new jobs), and after I left, 3 more and counting have also given notice. Upper management sees no problem.

Bottom line: Things will happen. You will cry when you leave work, and no one will care. You may talk to management, you may talk to HR, and they'll be reassuring, but nothing will change and no one will risk their own good standing to say "There's a problem here." If you have problems, keep this in mind. You have to a) suck it up until you have a respectable amount of time on your resume, or b) quit at a possibly inopportune time for yourself.

I don't have advice for upper management because I haven't seen anyone in upper management that I didn't think was full-on part of the problem. They all just need to stop -- stop this company, stop enabling horrible behavior, just QUIT.

But I have some advice for the shareholders: RUN.

Amazing job experience, management wants you to succeed and will help you do so.

Current Employee - Sales Operations Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Citrix is an amazing company to work for they talk alot about culture, but the best part is their employees. The employees are all amazing outgoing friendly people that are highly skilled. Management wants to see you succeed and helps you discover your career path.

Cons

I worked as an intern and did not receive much formal training, but the new employee orientation program that they do have I have heard great things about.