Citrix Systems

Updated November 20, 2014
3.8

Citrix Systems President, CEO, and Director Mark B. Templeton
Mark B. Templeton

Pros
  • The ability to work from home really helped gain a better work/life balance (in 147 reviews)

• It's generally easy to work from home for a day or so or take time off (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is no longer existent (use to be something coveted here) (in 22 reviews)

• The 'middle management' makes all the decisions without leveraging the talent below them (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Unlike the others, this is a review from someone who is neither management or a male engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a calculated risk, but if you're fresh out of college and need a large company on your resume, it does help with that. It's actually great for the resume, but you'll have to set a time limit for yourself and remind yourself that NO, not all companies are like this. It gets better.

Cons

The #1 challenge of working at Citrix as a woman: sexual harassment.

No one does anything about the men's behavior, and no one cares. There's a great coffee counter they added, and then a week later a group of guys permanently moved themselves and their laptops right in front of the coffee area and stare at girls inappropriately as they wait in line.

A man acted very inappropriately in the elevator to me early on there, and after I told others, he continued to act this way. He would stop and stare at me up and down in the cafeteria, at company events — anywhere, in front of anyone.

It gets very old being sold "perks," but finding out very well that you can only use the company gym on off hours with a group to avoid being hit on or leered at, or having to ask a friend to go with you to the coffee bar because there's safety in numbers with the dude that will stand close enough to smell your shampoo all the way through the line.

#2 challenge: Office politics at a level I have never seen before or after, and abusive behavior from management.

I watched management personally insult employees horrifically ("I hate your personality and your jokes aren't funny"), and then decide in cycles to pinpoint particularly employees to be shouted at in meetings and made to cry in weekly meetings. I watched management circle the workspace to look over our shoulders, three times daily on the dot.

And slowly, as some of the most victimized employees became more exhausted, they took their experiences to HR, and to upper management. Nothing happened. No one cared. That management is still there, still treating the employees the same way after years. Still making everyone cry. I left after 3 others had quit (with or without new jobs), and after I left, 3 more and counting have also given notice. Upper management sees no problem.

Bottom line: Things will happen. You will cry when you leave work, and no one will care. You may talk to management, you may talk to HR, and they'll be reassuring, but nothing will change and no one will risk their own good standing to say "There's a problem here." If you have problems, keep this in mind. You have to a) suck it up until you have a respectable amount of time on your resume, or b) quit at a possibly inopportune time for yourself.

I don't have advice for upper management because I haven't seen anyone in upper management that I didn't think was full-on part of the problem. They all just need to stop -- stop this company, stop enabling horrible behavior, just QUIT.

But I have some advice for the shareholders: RUN.

Amazing job experience, management wants you to succeed and will help you do so.

Current Employee - Sales Operations Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Citrix is an amazing company to work for they talk alot about culture, but the best part is their employees. The employees are all amazing outgoing friendly people that are highly skilled. Management wants to see you succeed and helps you discover your career path.

Cons

I worked as an intern and did not receive much formal training, but the new employee orientation program that they do have I have heard great things about.

Great employer

Current Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, salary is comparable. Lots of days off, great culture

Cons

Can be high stress and you can be on the phone for hours on end

Nothing I can think of off top of my head

Overall good experience. You must be part of the inner circle to advance

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Used to be very flexible for workshifting. Shakeup of executive leadership was much needed and created a more positive, accountable atmosphere. Overall the executive team is improving dramatically.

Cons

there is definitely a bias towards hiring and promoting younger people regardless of their skillset if they are excellent brownnosers. The latest round of One Citrix merging has started to add a level of bureaucracy that is sometimes painful.

Promote from within based on skills not who you know or by age but by merit. Give employees more flexibility in workshifting. The recent focus on NPS has moved the ship in the right direction.

Great company, super culture. One has to experience it genuinely appreciate the uniqueness offered here.

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time

Pros

Challenging projects and engaged coworkers. Everyone pushes really hard to make great things better. Work and effort is recognized. It's ok to make mistakes. Not a lot of politics here.

Cons

Maybe we keep people a little longer than we should.

Great place to work except for the politics

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture; Great people; Great vision from the top!

Cons

Lots of politics at the top levels with leaders focused on their own gain. GREAT CEO, but below that it falls apart.

Focus on Citrix goals, not your personal goals.

Good place to park your career

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours
    Good benefits
    Friendly colleagues
    Somewhat competitive salary

Cons

Make sure pick right career path from the start. It is better to be a developer rather then a software testers.

Take long time to move up the ranks if you don't know the "trick". Hard work can only take you do far. Need to really "fight" for your promotion

Great company to work and grow up professionally and personally

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, work life balance, environment. etc

Cons

No Cons that I can talk about Citrix

No Cons that I can talk about Management

Great company, Upward mobility, great work-home freedom

Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Company, Steady work flow, Great people, Fun games everywhere, good compensation, young environment

Cons

Work late, More compensation, healthier food

Higher compensation

Fantastic employee policies, awesome company

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay for the amount of work you have to do. I love it because even though they don't have a 20% policy like Google does, informally you can spend as much time as you want to deepen your technology skills - even in areas that are completely unrelated to your work. This kind of forward thinking has led to some of the highest employee satisfaction in the industry/country etc.

Cons

I wish they had more Cappuccino machines - as you can tell I can't complain much about my employer.

Please don't change a thing. I've heard from my dad that Bell Labs used to be like this - focus on long term and not go quarter by quarter - you will have happy employees (and smart ones too) and happy employees will result in great corporate success, profits etc.