Citrix Systems

Updated December 21, 2014
3.7

Citrix Systems President, CEO, and Director Mark B. Templeton
Mark B. Templeton

Pros
  • The ability to work from home really helped gain a better work/life balance (in 149 reviews)

• It's generally easy to work from home for a day or so or take time off (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is no longer existent (use to be something coveted here) (in 27 reviews)

• The 'middle management' makes all the decisions without leveraging the talent below them (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic employee policies, awesome company

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay for the amount of work you have to do. I love it because even though they don't have a 20% policy like Google does, informally you can spend as much time as you want to deepen your technology skills - even in areas that are completely unrelated to your work. This kind of forward thinking has led to some of the highest employee satisfaction in the industry/country etc.

Cons

I wish they had more Cappuccino machines - as you can tell I can't complain much about my employer.

Please don't change a thing. I've heard from my dad that Bell Labs used to be like this - focus on long term and not go quarter by quarter - you will have happy employees (and smart ones too) and happy employees will result in great corporate success, profits etc.

Great place to work if you are in Technology

Former Employee - Program Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely talented, smart, brilliant people. Great perks, drinks and snacks free (fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee etc). Company subsidized lunch (50%) provided by cafeteria on premise. Great knowledge and networking events.

Cons

Be prepared for conference calls and meetings to eat up hours of your day which forces you to skip lunch/eat at your desk or work till 8pm to make up for lost hours! Also, technology makes it convenient to work form anywhere, anytime so sometimes feels like "ball & chain" even when on vacation.

Continue to invest in resources to get your name out there. Lately have seen lots of news everywhere on competitors like VMWare but not much on Citrix!

Company culture is a sham!!

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

cool co - workers .

Cons

middle management, good old boys club , friends that look out for their friends and to hell with everyone else. bunch of so called "managers" who don't know anything other that n what is in front of them.
    micro-managing
    unrealistic goals to no process just off the cuff development ... LCM team is overrun with people that have only worked at citrix and feel that they know more than anyone.
    if you like variety and using your brain and be a robot then look for other teams not LCM!!!!!

try listening to your workers disagreeing with managers who are milking projects to maintain their own longevity and let everyone else fall by the way side.

This place is heaven!!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good compensation, great people, and an incredible culture that is staunchly protected. This, and the fact that they run their business with the mindset of; "Take care of your people, they take care of the customer and the shareholders are happy as a byproduct" This is not lip service, they live it. There is a reason that Mark Templeton has a 94% approval rating. He is awesome!! I hope that this company doesn't grow up like all of the other Wall St. driven companies. If not, I hope to spend the next 20yrs here.

Cons

The fact that I didn't come here 20 years ago..

Keep doing what you're doing

I learned about selling but I did not enjoy the experience overall because the work was monotonous.

I worked at Citrix Systems as an intern

Pros

Good pay, fun culture, great coworkers

Cons

Unprofessional management, repetitive work, bad training program

Employ better managers, learn how to motivate and manage your employees

Good company, but terrible managers have people walking out and upper management &HR does not address the real problem .

Current Employee - Senior Position
    Current Employee - Senior Position

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with Citrix for over 7 years. Love that you can work on cutting edge technology, great work from home policy, competitive wage.

Cons

Managers are hiring people with no technical skills leaving the work load on those that haven't yet left the company. This is not company-wide. If you get the wrong manager, be prepared to work every weekend and 10-12 hour week days in order to meet their unreasonable expectations. And even then, don't be surprised to get a 2 % increase and a decrease in any variable target cash, while they use up the budget needlessly flying in and out of the country (GTM?).

You are losing some great long-time employees due to managers that do not know how to lead (fear factor, no work-life balance, zero empathy).

Great People - A lot of Change

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales Representative

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is focused on success.

Cons

They are trying to find an identity for XenDesktop

Promote from within - get rid of the "old boys club".

Once a Citrite, always a Citrite

Former Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The title sums it up. After spending more than a decade with the company and seeing it transform from an intimate application visualization pioneer to pushing five billion dollars in revenue across numerous businesses, the company was able to hold on to many of its core values and maintain a unique culture facilitated directly from the top.

Cons

While I did have a number of great years, I also had a few difficult ones - due to personality conflicts and so fourth - which is rare for me. Also, being one of the largest software companies and better employers in South Florida means there are a lot of old timers in the organization and this leads to a lack of opportunity for technical growth and career development. Lastly, while I received a few promotions during my tenure, during the last few years when I was performing at my very best I was consistently passed over for the more senior positions in the department and ultimately left the company where I have found greener pastures.

Be fair and timely with promotions. Reward the dedicated, high performers with the positions, titles and benefits that back up their skills and contributions.

Systems Engineer

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People is Citrix best asset. The culture is great and there are plenty of opportunities and multiple products for you to make an impact. Lots of high visibility activities and upper management likes to promote within.

Cons

Too many reorgs and team restructuring. Lack of vision in some areas. Too many minir changes without a clear vision on where to go. This impacts consistency and continuity in job duties and affects product quality and development. In need for a leadership change or a major alignment to foster product integration and overall quality.

Focus on a single / few strategies.
    Don't spend so many cycles on products that are not providing results.
    Have a clear vision and long term goals, then execute. No more distractions.

Good maturing company, lots of opportunity in all areas

Current Employee - Senior Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Citrix Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Space / freedom to make it the place you want to work.

Cons

Highly fragmented organizationally, top level strategy is not always as focused as it should be.

Invest more heavily in employee programs and benefits.