City College of San Francisco

City College of San Francisco Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

I enjoyed teaching ESL to a diverse student body along with many competent colleagues.

ESL Teacher (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe pay and benefits were better for part-time ESL instructors at CCSF than at other ESL programs, including other junior colleges, adult schools and private schools.

ConsA large % of employees are in denial about the need to deal with the accreditation problem. Some are full of the arrogance of tenure, acting as though they know things you don't - though the only reason their jobs are secure is the date they were hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to make the goals and standards of accreditation part of a process whereby the whole staff contributes. This has always been done with curriculum development and past accreditation reviews. This will spread the knowledge of what we need to fix in order to get the school back to stability. It will mean some people will lose their jobs, but destroying the school out of stubbornness is absurd for a school that exists for the purpose of helping ordinary people deal with the demands of the world, whether fair or not.

Receptionist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTime to study and work at the same time

ConsLimit Budget for students, few work hours

It is less fun to work here than it used to be.

Instructor (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCompensation for part-time work is good and most people treat you fairly. Evening students are a good group to teach and many of them seem quite motivated to learn.

ConsLong-term part-timers have little hope of getting a coveted tenure-track job because the unknown candidate is often better regarded than the known candidate and people play favorites. Folks here are quite racist - the different fractions of ethnic groups are counted as if there are quotas and being Caucasian is not an asset. It gets tiresome to hear statements like "we need more" of one ethnic group or another... merit seems to count less than a person's race or sexual orientation.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdministrators treat themselves royally whereas faculty are insultingly undervalued.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Twisting Slowly in the Wind.

Technician (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLearned many new technical skills and have an opportunity to take lead on projects. Energetic mix of staff, faculty, and students.

ConsThe accreditation nightmare has taken toll on morale, and many people have retired or found jobs elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everything is broken. Revamp what needs change. Reward motivated employees.

English tutor

English Tutor (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFriendly
    Flexible, you can ask fellow tutors to take over your shifts if emergency occurs

ConsTutoring can be stressful sometimes
    Some students can be rude and crazy

Enjoyable environment

Office Assistant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsStudent workers and supervisors are awesome and wonderful to work with, great environment. don't have much of the work to do but wont let you study while at work.

ConsPay is not much, just $9/hour

Overall good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosflexible, building connection with diverse group of people

Consminimum wage is the only con for me.

Great place and people

Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery nice environment friendly people plenty more to learn

Conssalary was low
    the college is probably going to close
    they fired a lot of people

Great community college to work for... despite bad press

Instructor (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosgreat students. great administrative staff. great teachers. good salary. great benefits

Consstudent body is not as privileged as private schools. Challenging at times.

Web Designer & Developer

ProsCreative freedom, friendly atmosphere, and advancement opportunity.

ConsThe location is sort of far away from downtown. Beautiful view though.

Worked for City College of San Francisco? Contribute to the Community!