City Colleges of Chicago

City Colleges of Chicago Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Nice place

QA Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCollegiality among peers, centrally located near public transportation

ConsNew Management, broad changes afoot

Advice to Senior ManagementHold employees to task then let them work

Great place to work especially as an instructor.

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsLots of politics to consider.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould do a better job in providing support to staff.

Great!

ProsLots of mobility within the company. Excellent benefits.

ConsThere is a lack of communication throughout staff members and locations. Some people don't possess the right qualifications to lead .

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Facilitation The Educational Experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAble to get promoted and work in various departments. Good benefits and the salary is decent.

ConsYou can make more with our degree if you work in the private sector, but it helps for you to love what you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpending more time taking into consideration ideas and suggestions from those working more directly with the students in changing policies and procedures which would help expedite various processes.

Great students but the bureaucracy is ridiculous

IT Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe students are terrific and 98% very appreciative of our efforts, knowledge, and resources.

ConsBureaucracy is crazy nonsensical. The amount of paperwork is crazy. To physically watch it get shredded a week later is gut-wrenching.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally. Come up with a plan to improve things, stick with it and quit modifying in mid-stream.

Shady-Watch Your Back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits are great i.e. vacation, breaks in between
    Pay decent
    A sense of purpose because of the students that you serve

ConsPolicies are extremely laxed therefore employees do whatever they want without any consequences.
    Maintaining integrity is frowned upon.
    High turnover-mostly created by the bad decisions of senior management
    Limited to no opportunity for promotion.....need not apply only if we like you- hint hint

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace the right people in the right positions not because of who you know but because they are qualified and intelligent enough to do the job. Continuity-having a strategic plan that makes sense and is logical. Decisions are often made in this environment without having a well thought out plan and employees and students often suffer behind it.

Wellness Center is a Great Resource

Wellness Center Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe Wellness Center Manager is a great supervisor. She stays up to date on clients, and she is a great source of support if you have any questions.

ConsTeachers and administrators don't always understand the purpose of the Wellness Center.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Wellness Center needs to be supported by teachers and guidance counselors. Some of the best referrals we get are from guidance counselors that recognize outside factors are impacting a student's performance in the classroom. We also get quite a few clients from doing simple 5 minute classroom presentations at the beginning of the year, but not all teachers are cooperative. This should be made mandatory to have these done in the first few weeks of each semester.

A hostile culture coupled with a lofty mission

Academics (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsInnovation is underfoot. There is always a new program to challenge your professional growth and skills.

ConsLittle operational insight or control to pull off any of the innovating programs or projects in its entirety. Constant infighting just gets tiresome.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the operational issues and learn to work together.

Stable but not very innovative

ProsIf you're experienced and want this to be your last job, work at CCC

ConsStagnant and a lot of red tape

Exciting time of innovation and change at Daley College.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBest part is working with many talented colleagues who are creating improvements in academic programs, student life, student services, and business partnerships. Daley's innovations include new tutoring services, better adult remedial programs and expanded services.

ConsIntense workload. The result of the regime change has been better student outcomes and better enrollment but some staff have low morale due to increased workload and the leaving of long-time colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more staff to better handle the workload.

Worked for City Colleges of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!