City Colleges of Chicago

Loved It!

Former Employee - Student Services Professional  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Student Services Professional in Chicago, IL

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed my time in Student Services immensely! The students are valued and education is a priority! In addition, providing students with a community of support proved to be effective in their success! Great Benefits and time off! The culture of this community was awesome!

Cons

Poor teacher and student boundaries! Other than that, I didn't have many complaints!

Consider providing faculty and staff with professional development programs surrounding cultural differences and boundaries!

Just a job

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago

Pros

They offer good benefits and a good work/life balance depending on your position.

Cons

This company is a place that is all about titles. Unless you have a management position, you are treated as someone who is inferior. Even after working at different campuses, the treatment was the same. My opinion is that this is not a good place to work unless you have a management position or you don't have any aspirations for advancement opportunities. Good, hard working employees are rarely appreciated.

Be more respectful of all employees. Stop focusing so much on titles and look at them as people, your colleagues. Stop treating some of your employees as if they are inferior. You hired them for a reason.

Reinvention delivers!

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago

Pros

The regime change and the Reinvention overhaul of City Colleges is delivering on its promise. Student learning pathways have been put into place to insure that students get the support they need to graduate on time and enter the workforce. Teachers, advisors and administrators are excited to see the difference Reinvention is making in the lives of students and communities who need change most. There has been a sea change in the culture since this program began. Everything is now focused on supporting students retention and success.

Cons

The biggest con is that the system will not invest money in fairly compensating their adjunct instructors who are the heart, soul and backbone of all 7 campuses. They are on the front lines of Reinvention, yet they make only $110 per week to teach a 3 credit class, have no benefits, and work semester to semester on contract. Full time teaching opportunities are few and far between.

The inequality in the adjunct pay scale and quality of work life needs to be addressed. Keep investing in Reinvention, but don't lose site of those on the front lines.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Full-time Faculty

Current Employee - Full-time Faculty-Technical
    Current Employee - Full-time Faculty-Technical

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Central location, lots of opportunities to build partnerships and develop programs.

Cons

Disorganized, unstable administration, culture changes based on administrative changes

N/A

very inviting also helpfull.

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great chance to explore my qualifications

Cons

get to experience the joy diversity

no comment

Horrible experience

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago

Pros

Very few god staff members, unfortunately he was fired for something that was stupid.

Cons

so much inside shady things going. At one of the schools I worked, one the staff members approved herself a loan just so she could to attend some class. They played favorites and treated our department like crap.

Not sure how it is now but I did visit and I got anxiety just being there, screw you CCC

Nice place

Former Employee - QA Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collegiality among peers, centrally located near public transportation

Cons

New Management, broad changes afoot

Hold employees to task then let them work

Great place to work especially as an instructor.

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Lots of politics to consider.

Should do a better job in providing support to staff.

Great!

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of mobility within the company. Excellent benefits.

Cons

There is a lack of communication throughout staff members and locations. Some people don't possess the right qualifications to lead .

Facilitation The Educational Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Able to get promoted and work in various departments. Good benefits and the salary is decent.

Cons

You can make more with our degree if you work in the private sector, but it helps for you to love what you do.

Spending more time taking into consideration ideas and suggestions from those working more directly with the students in changing policies and procedures which would help expedite various processes.

Worked for City Colleges of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!