City Colleges of Chicago Reviews

Updated April 3, 2015
73 reviews filtered by
3.3
CEO

Pros
  • They offer good benefits and a good work/life balance depending on your position (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay, good location, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Highly political games played badly (in 4 reviews)

• Many folks in senior leadership roles are from CPS and the problems seem to follow them (in 3 reviews)

1. Great people, energetic students, no complaints.

Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Academic freedom, supportive staff and administration, positive environment.

Cons

Tenure process is rather tedious. Most faculty in my department had 5 different preps including evening classes.

Advice to Management

Some very positive changes... keep up the good work.

2. Lab Assistant

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago

Pros

Great opportunity to get hands on experience chemicals and dissecting animals and assisting professors

Cons

There is really no risk, since you will require weeks of training but I didnt like cleaning bacterias

3. It was the best of times .... it was the worst of times

Current Employee - Coordinator I (College Testing) in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Coordinator I (College Testing) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was very family orientated and friends. I have made a lot of great friends.

Cons

Although it does happen from time to time... it is no longer a company where they hire from within.

Advice to Management

Other more opportunity for professional development.

5. Making strides for excellence!

Current Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I whole heartedly believe the Chancellor and other leadership are committed to providing affordable and quality education to our surrounding communities. I have been involved with many meetings and strategies that definitely prove that fact. The benefits offered are good and the vacation time is great.

Cons

There are some departments where operations are not of the best quality and could be improved. For example the accounting software and its usability.

Advice to Management

I would continue to focus on our main goal of assisting students achieve education and skills needed in the workforce.

Loved It!

Former Employee - Student Services Professional in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Student Services Professional in Chicago, IL

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time in Student Services immensely! The students are valued and education is a priority! In addition, providing students with a community of support proved to be effective in their success! Great Benefits and time off! The culture of this community was awesome!

Cons

Poor teacher and student boundaries! Other than that, I didn't have many complaints!

Advice to Management

Consider providing faculty and staff with professional development programs surrounding cultural differences and boundaries!

7. Great!

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of mobility within the company. Excellent benefits.

Cons

There is a lack of communication throughout staff members and locations. Some people don't possess the right qualifications to lead .

Wellness Center is a Great Resource

Former Intern - Wellness Center Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Wellness Center Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The Wellness Center Manager is a great supervisor. She stays up to date on clients, and she is a great source of support if you have any questions.

Cons

Teachers and administrators don't always understand the purpose of the Wellness Center.

Advice to Management

The Wellness Center needs to be supported by teachers and guidance counselors. Some of the best referrals we get are from guidance counselors that recognize outside factors are impacting a student's performance in the classroom. We also get quite a few clients from doing simple 5 minute classroom presentations at the beginning of the year, but not all teachers are cooperative. This should be made mandatory to have these done in the first few weeks of each semester.

Great city job with excellent benefits.

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is great. The environment is laid-back. Not sales oriented so no stress to meet any goals. You get to help others achieve their goals.

Cons

Truthfully, I have t found any downside to being an academic advisor with the city colleges. It's much better than my old advising position with a for profit college.

Advice to Management

None.

10. Great Experience, awesome college network

Current Employee - Clerical Assistant II
    Current Employee - Clerical Assistant II

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great networking opportunities, awesome benefits if you are full time, many opportunities for growth within the company, mentoring support to help throughout your career, all levels of administration have an open door policy.

Cons

Some of the union contracts aren't as good as they should be, program funding cuts are brutal.

Advice to Management

Keep an open door policy with staff and faculty, negotiate better usage of budget so that all departments are able to do quality programming and promote staff when needed.

11. Instructor

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago

Pros

the benefits of the Working for the city colleges is great. There is a very warm and kind environment. The other instructors don't make you feel unwanted or things of that nature.

Cons

the biggest con would have to be the administrative changes. It gets hard having to constantly adjust to others coming in and out.

City Colleges of Chicago Photos