City Colleges of Chicago Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
CEO

Pros
  • They offer good benefits and a good work/life balance depending on your position (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay, very easy going, nice people, stress free, faculty seemed to actually care (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Highly political games played badly (in 4 reviews)

• District office is dictatorial and non- transparent, and oftentimes makes well-intentioned but illogical, bad decisions (in 2 reviews)

Great city job with excellent benefits.

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is great. The environment is laid-back. Not sales oriented so no stress to meet any goals. You get to help others achieve their goals.

Cons

Truthfully, I have t found any downside to being an academic advisor with the city colleges. It's much better than my old advising position with a for profit college.

Advice to Management

None.

2. Great!

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of mobility within the company. Excellent benefits.

Cons

There is a lack of communication throughout staff members and locations. Some people don't possess the right qualifications to lead .

Loved It!

Former Employee - Student Services Professional in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Student Services Professional in Chicago, IL

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time in Student Services immensely! The students are valued and education is a priority! In addition, providing students with a community of support proved to be effective in their success! Great Benefits and time off! The culture of this community was awesome!

Cons

Poor teacher and student boundaries! Other than that, I didn't have many complaints!

Advice to Management

Consider providing faculty and staff with professional development programs surrounding cultural differences and boundaries!

5. Making strides for excellence!

Current Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I whole heartedly believe the Chancellor and other leadership are committed to providing affordable and quality education to our surrounding communities. I have been involved with many meetings and strategies that definitely prove that fact. The benefits offered are good and the vacation time is great.

Cons

There are some departments where operations are not of the best quality and could be improved. For example the accounting software and its usability.

Advice to Management

I would continue to focus on our main goal of assisting students achieve education and skills needed in the workforce.

6. It was the best of times .... it was the worst of times

Current Employee - Coordinator I (College Testing) in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Coordinator I (College Testing) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was very family orientated and friends. I have made a lot of great friends.

Cons

Although it does happen from time to time... it is no longer a company where they hire from within.

Advice to Management

Other more opportunity for professional development.

7. Lab Assistant

Pros

Great opportunity to get hands on experience chemicals and dissecting animals and assisting professors

Cons

There is really no risk, since you will require weeks of training but I didnt like cleaning bacterias

8. Great people, energetic students, no complaints.

Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Academic freedom, supportive staff and administration, positive environment.

Cons

Tenure process is rather tedious. Most faculty in my department had 5 different preps including evening classes.

Advice to Management

Some very positive changes... keep up the good work.

Project Janitor

Current Employee - Project Janitor in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Project Janitor in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

1. High salary, flexible hours and benefits. 2. Keeping the grounds clean and in a pristine order shows my skills and competence 3. Clean as needed whether it’s every day or two times a week. Making sure that things are clean and in the order that they are supposed to be. 4. Whenever I do something I do it right 5. . Exceeding customer expectation and receiving additional business due to a job well done and taking pride of a job well done.

Cons

1. Depending on the person 2. It takes hard work and force to do so, you have to deal with dirt and mess. 3. I can get chemicals on my hands and I can get sick. 4. Doing the messy restrooms. 5. Appreciating the pride and sight of a job clean and sparking.

10. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Full health benefits, 403(b) & 457(b) investment plans, paid vacation/holidays and City Colleges tuition waiver. Plus, enjoy working with a group of people who really love what they do. For a more detailed overview of benefits visit our benefits page.

Cons

I cannot really think of any cons at this time. I will be sure to add some if they come up.

Teaching at CCC

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Chicago, IL

Pros

I enjoyed teaching at this college. The department is very collegial. In my experience, the adjuncts were never treated as second-class faculty members. The administrative staff was also very helpful and friendly. I had diverse students, ranging from young, fresh-out-of-high school students to older, returning students. Some students were academically underprepared, while others were overachievers. Overall, I had the most appreciative students, which is why I would teach here again if I had the chance.

Cons

There is limited equipment for those who want to use technology in the classroom. Some powerpoint projectors worked, while others didn't. Compensation-wise, you have to be prepared to receive relatively low pay if you teach only one class.

Advice to Management

Increase salary of adjunct faculty

RSS Feed </> Embed