City Colleges of Chicago

City Colleges of Chicago Reviews

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014

CEO

Pros
  • They offer good benefits and a good work/life balance depending on your position (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay, good location, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Highly political games played badly (in 4 reviews)

• Many folks in senior leadership roles are from CPS and the problems seem to follow them (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

HVAC Peer tutor

Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago part-time (less than an year)

Pros

helping future techs to understand systems

Cons

waiting on students to seek help

Making strides for excellence!

Current Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I whole heartedly believe the Chancellor and other leadership are committed to providing affordable and quality education to our surrounding communities. I have been involved with many meetings and strategies that definitely prove that fact. The benefits offered are good and the vacation time is great.

Cons

There are some departments where operations are not of the best quality and could be improved. For example the accounting software and its usability.

I would continue to focus on our main goal of assisting students achieve education and skills needed in the workforce.

My department is great

Current Employee - Note Taker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Note Taker in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being a note taker, is rewarding and stress free from the political nuances of CCC community. Also the Disability Access Centers are very insightful and goes 120% for their students and staff. Only department that has great cohort relationships with one another and their directors.

Cons

The reinvention is the focal point, but they should be reinventing the staff. They are quite the clique, BFF, big brother and sister oriented. The right hand knows nothing of what the left is doing, confusing, and poor customer service at each school.

See what the DAC directors are doing to retain their workers and implement. Also stop thinking that a title / degree makes people qualified because unless a professor or dean really you should reconsider. Because what I consider entry level positions should be offered to qualified people regardless if degree or not. Jobs I'm referring to: registrar manager, business office positions, financial aid, testing and GED and plenty other positions.

Students are the core of the college my first priority is to give them the best services, resources and tools to succeed

Current Employee - Computer Lab Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Computer Lab Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interacting with students keeps me motivated. I make it my goal everyday to help a student beyond what is required of me.

Cons

Career Opportunities are scarce and administration is constantly changing

Part-time employees are the root of the company. We are usually the first and the last people in the building, making sure everything is in order and running efficiently.

Horrible experience

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago

Pros

Very few god staff members, unfortunately he was fired for something that was stupid.

Cons

so much inside shady things going. At one of the schools I worked, one the staff members approved herself a loan just so she could to attend some class. They played favorites and treated our department like crap.

Not sure how it is now but I did visit and I got anxiety just being there, screw you CCC

Just a job

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago

Pros

They offer good benefits and a good work/life balance depending on your position.

Cons

This company is a place that is all about titles. Unless you have a management position, you are treated as someone who is inferior. Even after working at different campuses, the treatment was the same. My opinion is that this is not a good place to work unless you have a management position or you don't have any aspirations for advancement opportunities. Good, hard working employees are rarely appreciated.

Be more respectful of all employees. Stop focusing so much on titles and look at them as people, your colleagues. Stop treating some of your employees as if they are inferior. You hired them for a reason.

Loved It!

Former Employee - Student Services Professional in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Student Services Professional in Chicago, IL

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time in Student Services immensely! The students are valued and education is a priority! In addition, providing students with a community of support proved to be effective in their success! Great Benefits and time off! The culture of this community was awesome!

Cons

Poor teacher and student boundaries! Other than that, I didn't have many complaints!

Consider providing faculty and staff with professional development programs surrounding cultural differences and boundaries!

Full-time Faculty

Current Employee - Full-time Faculty-Technical
    Current Employee - Full-time Faculty-Technical

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Central location, lots of opportunities to build partnerships and develop programs.

Cons

Disorganized, unstable administration, culture changes based on administrative changes

N/A

Reinvention delivers!

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago

Pros

The regime change and the Reinvention overhaul of City Colleges is delivering on its promise. Student learning pathways have been put into place to insure that students get the support they need to graduate on time and enter the workforce. Teachers, advisors and administrators are excited to see the difference Reinvention is making in the lives of students and communities who need change most. There has been a sea change in the culture since this program began. Everything is now focused on supporting students retention and success.

Cons

The biggest con is that the system will not invest money in fairly compensating their adjunct instructors who are the heart, soul and backbone of all 7 campuses. They are on the front lines of Reinvention, yet they make only $110 per week to teach a 3 credit class, have no benefits, and work semester to semester on contract. Full time teaching opportunities are few and far between.

The inequality in the adjunct pay scale and quality of work life needs to be addressed. Keep investing in Reinvention, but don't lose site of those on the front lines.

very inviting also helpfull.

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great chance to explore my qualifications

Cons

get to experience the joy diversity

no comment