City Colleges of Chicago

Updated January 13, 2015
Updated January 13, 2015
3.1

CEO

Pros
  • They offer good benefits and a good work/life balance depending on your position (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay, good location, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Highly political games played badly (in 4 reviews)

• Many folks in senior leadership roles are from CPS and the problems seem to follow them (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Lab Assistant

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago

Pros

Great opportunity to get hands on experience chemicals and dissecting animals and assisting professors

Cons

There is really no risk, since you will require weeks of training but I didnt like cleaning bacterias

It was the best of times .... it was the worst of times

Current Employee - Coordinator I (College Testing) in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Coordinator I (College Testing) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was very family orientated and friends. I have made a lot of great friends.

Cons

Although it does happen from time to time... it is no longer a company where they hire from within.

Other more opportunity for professional development.

Audio Visial

Former Employee - Library Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Library Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good safe work environment, if you like people it's definitely a good place...

Cons

No room for real growth...very political. You don't feel appreciated for your work

Make your employees feel like their time and effort is valued...

Working at City Colleges had been an awesome experience, I have had the opportunity to meet nice faculty and student

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago

Pros

Nice community, and diverse environment.

Cons

I've been a part timer for 2.5 years and I don't see an opportunity to get a Full time position

HVAC Peer tutor

Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago part-time (less than a year)

Pros

helping future techs to understand systems

Cons

waiting on students to seek help

Making strides for excellence!

Current Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I whole heartedly believe the Chancellor and other leadership are committed to providing affordable and quality education to our surrounding communities. I have been involved with many meetings and strategies that definitely prove that fact. The benefits offered are good and the vacation time is great.

Cons

There are some departments where operations are not of the best quality and could be improved. For example the accounting software and its usability.

I would continue to focus on our main goal of assisting students achieve education and skills needed in the workforce.

My department is great

Current Employee - Note Taker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Note Taker in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being a note taker, is rewarding and stress free from the political nuances of CCC community. Also the Disability Access Centers are very insightful and goes 120% for their students and staff. Only department that has great cohort relationships with one another and their directors.

Cons

The reinvention is the focal point, but they should be reinventing the staff. They are quite the clique, BFF, big brother and sister oriented. The right hand knows nothing of what the left is doing, confusing, and poor customer service at each school.

See what the DAC directors are doing to retain their workers and implement. Also stop thinking that a title / degree makes people qualified because unless a professor or dean really you should reconsider. Because what I consider entry level positions should be offered to qualified people regardless if degree or not. Jobs I'm referring to: registrar manager, business office positions, financial aid, testing and GED and plenty other positions.

Students are the core of the college my first priority is to give them the best services, resources and tools to succeed

Current Employee - Computer Lab Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Computer Lab Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Colleges of Chicago part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interacting with students keeps me motivated. I make it my goal everyday to help a student beyond what is required of me.

Cons

Career Opportunities are scarce and administration is constantly changing

Part-time employees are the root of the company. We are usually the first and the last people in the building, making sure everything is in order and running efficiently.

Horrible experience

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago

Pros

Very few god staff members, unfortunately he was fired for something that was stupid.

Cons

so much inside shady things going. At one of the schools I worked, one the staff members approved herself a loan just so she could to attend some class. They played favorites and treated our department like crap.

Not sure how it is now but I did visit and I got anxiety just being there, screw you CCC

Just a job

I worked at City Colleges of Chicago

Pros

They offer good benefits and a good work/life balance depending on your position.

Cons

This company is a place that is all about titles. Unless you have a management position, you are treated as someone who is inferior. Even after working at different campuses, the treatment was the same. My opinion is that this is not a good place to work unless you have a management position or you don't have any aspirations for advancement opportunities. Good, hard working employees are rarely appreciated.

Be more respectful of all employees. Stop focusing so much on titles and look at them as people, your colleagues. Stop treating some of your employees as if they are inferior. You hired them for a reason.

City Colleges of Chicago Photos