City National

City National Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

City National President and CEO; Chairman and CEO, City National Bank Russell D. Goldsmith

Russell D. Goldsmith

Summer Intern

Summer Intern (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at City National as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat experience as a summer intern. There was a group project for all the interns, as well as lunch & learn, team building events. Colleagues are friendly, approachable, helpful and professional.

ConsSometimes it takes time to resolve an issue or make progress on existing problems.

Great place to work for

Treasury Management Implementations Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at City National

ProsThe company pays well compared to other companies. They also try to make us feel like a family here. The company is very flexible.

ConsLots of colleagues find it easy to point fingers. Management tends to stick with management and not inform the other people that need to know.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen looking to make updates to forms and systems, they should look to the colleagues that are dealing with clients as opposed to just doing it themselves.

Get name to put on your resume

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at City National

ProsManagement is nice to let you balance your work life and your home life. There is room for movement upwards as long as you know how to play the corporate game, I have not cracked the solution yet though.

ConsPay is really poor compared to other places with job skills necessary for Business System Analyst. The culture is to hierarchical and rigid that nearly all managers are paranoid to share information/resources with one another as each is trying to protect their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide incentives for teams to work cross-functionally rather than such rigidly to allow for more agile and responsive service in all areas/departments.

Great place to work

Vice President - Financial Sales Advisor (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at City National

ProsThe company is solid, and growing. Decent pay and great job security. Non-retail business focus is very professional.

ConsVery conservative lending environment, makes lending difficult. Some antiquated online features.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat bank. Keep up the good work.

Conservatively run, not necessarily a bad thing - offer opportunities to gain wide breadth of experience.

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at City National

ProsOn the smaller side, so you get to wear a lot of hats, which allows for good skill sets development. Very solid bank with a good focus on the right markets.

ConsPay is below market standars for all jobs, but Sales. Company can be too conservative and focused on this year's stock price vs. taking some risk in investment toward the future. This is getting better, but still needs improvement. Very political like all banks. Have to work relationships to get ahead more so than being kick*** at your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in people by adding leadership development programs, better basic trainig programs, etc. In other words, grow the caliber of your people not only by giving them good opportunities for experience, but specific skills and knowledge to maximize each opportunity. Groom employees for management, create a management or leadership track so people feel like they are working towards something. Don't limit leadership programs by title since title levels are not equivalent or a good gauge of leadership bank wide.

CNB is a good place to work, but there are growing pains.

VP, Finance (Current Employee)

I have been working at City National

ProsGood opportunities to work with all levels of management on projects. There a larger than normal amount of people who've stayed with the company 10, 20, and even 30 years. Management is loyal to colleagues, even when they should have fired them long ago.

ConsSystems need to be better integrated. Since it is a small company, career growth may be limited in certain divisions. Sometimes there is an attitude of "we've always done it this way" that leads to roadblocks to change/improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a formal mentorship and development program to retain top talent. Communicate better on the vision and strategy of where the bank is going so that the colleagues can rally behind you.

Great organization if you have the skill sets and tools already to succeed.

Vice President of Compliance (Former Employee)
Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at City National

ProsGreat work life balance, competent people, not too resistant to change.

ConsLimited career growth and support from upper management. Difficult to move around the bank.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more attention on constructive feedback, and helping your people overcome weaknesses, and not just pinpoint them out. More career development support from upper management.

CNB is great place to work but be aware it is the Bank of Russell

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)
Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at City National

ProsIt is a very familial place to work - you are not just a "number" or "cog" in the wheel. The company is small enough for most senior officers to know each other and large enough to compete with the major banks in many areas. CNB is still family controlled which insulates the bank from Wall Street and hostile takeovers giving employees a sense of security. Compared to peer banks, there is minimal turnover in senior officer ranks which is very beneficial for client retention. The bank is very highly rated by outside agencies for customer satisfaction.

ConsBecause the bank is family controlled, the Chairman and major shareholder (Russell Goldsmith) is involved in far too much minutiae down to selecting paint and fabric colors for branches and offices. He is a bright and articulate albeit not warm man who does not seem to brook negative information. This is detrimental due to a "shoot the messenger" attitude so bad news frequently does not get presented to him even if crucial. Decisions within the bank are made always the concern "what will Russell think". He casts a long shadow which is not always a positive. It fosters ineffective "yes men" within senior ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior officers should be encouraged to disseminate information, good or up, up the ranks. It doesn't mean everything should evolve into a "complaint session" but decisions are continually made in a vacuum without the proper vetting.

Good place to work for 2-4 years

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at City National

ProsThis bank has internal processes and procedures in place to get jobs done (though not always fast). Execs are determined to grow the business. Annual sales goals are clear. The head Investment exec is brilliant. L.A. headquarters is a great location downtown, nice environment with corporate art, high-security building, close to Red Line stop, train transportation costs are subsidized; many VPs get offices with a door, plus 4 weeks vacation annually, 10-30% annual bonus in March plus restricted stock, proft sharing, 40l(k) match of about 3%. They have nice meeting and lunch / break / training rooms. Communication to all employees is daily and easy to access via intranet and emails. Many employees are talented, dedicated and good to work with. Annual upper managment- and sales meetings are creative/entertaining and give staff good opportunties to see top execs and hear about progress and problems.

ConsThe company is not well known outside of the entertainment and banking industries (little advertising , no TV ads), so it's not a powerful name on the resume unless you're applying to another bank. Its CEO is the son of one of the founders, so its success and failure are personal to him (micro-manager). Before managers embark on a project they don't say What's the best strategy for the bank, the shareholders and the consumer, but What can we do that Russell will like. The company also tends to introduce new products well after the competition. Parking for some employees is subsidized but most still pay $50 monthly. No perks for the average employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut upper management through extensive management training courses so they can learn the art of negotiation, and how to inspire and motivate their employees with carrots instead of demands and disrespect. Increase the company's support of employees volunteering in the community on behalf of the bank-- the bank gets kudos from the community and the federal government for their work.

Times have changed Russell and we need to make those changes too if we are going to be successful in the future.

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at City National

Pros(1) It is one of the few major sized banks left in So California that is still headquartered here. (2) Its stock is mostly family owned so it is not as likely to get acquired in the near future
(3) People working here are good and it can be fun at times

Cons(1) It is a small bank that has grown up, and doesn't really know what to do next. It has not "turned the corner" in its thinking, even though it is now much larger, and Mgmt feels that in most cases, they can continue to do business the old way, even though its competitors are passing it by.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and smell the coffee guys! We are not a small bank anymore and need to start thinking and managing our business as a large financial institution, not a boutique bank. Yes, we are high touch and have good customer service, but our clients have options and will continue put their money elsewhere unless we start paying higher deposit interest rates.

Worked for City National? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City National reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for City National CEO Russell D. Goldsmith. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by City National employees.