City Year

Be The First To
Add Photos

City Year President Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • The students, the team I worked with, experience of working with a nonprofit and making a difference were all major pros to this experience(in 8 reviews)

• There is support from corps members, team leaders, program managers, ect(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours worked with little recognition for efforts(in 37 reviews)

• Also - if Corps members around you decide to be negative, it's hard to fight it(in 28 reviews)

It's not what you know, it's who brown noses

Accounting (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLove the idea of the company and you can be touched by the stories from the corps members.

ConsAs mentioned in many posts, you need to be someone's best buddy in order to get anywhere in this company. No recognition for your hard work. Sr Management could care less about the folks doing the work. The turn over is high due to "talented terrors" or "friends" being promoted to positions they have no idea how to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your turn over rate. That says a lot on your company.

Memorable

Corps Member (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou really make a difference in the lives of others and it's truly great to work with colleagues that share similar passions of education and importance of our youth.

ConsLong hours worked with little recognition for efforts. Since it's a service program the compensation is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to show your employees how appreciative you are of their hardwork.

Rewarding experience, but too data driven

City Year Corps Member (Current Employee)

Prosget to work with some tough but amazing students
    my team is very strong and will be in contact with them after I leave
    great experience working in a school, a great middle step to becoming a teacher.

ConsCY is very data driven, they are most concerned with meeting quota so that they can continue to receive funding. Sometimes I feel pressure to stop my extremely experienced teacher's lesson so that I can do my 40 minute lesson simply to meet quota.. I think this loses focus on what the goal is truly about. Also I think some of the management is incompetent. It is also a non-profit organization so it is always very disorganized, but that is to be expected. I feel like our site always had these big plans that actually ended up not being implemented too well. Also, City Year culture was personally not my thing but many people enjoy it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

City Year: A Cult

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Manchester, NH

ProsYou meet a great group of individuals who are untied for a common cause

ConsPoorly organized; no infra-structure; all activities are dictated by a little hand book; work weeks are over 50 hours for no reason; no work life balance - they "0wn" you; borderline unethical treatment of staff and funders.The culture encourages 60 hour work weeks for positions that need no more than 37.5 hours. Corps members who come through the ranks and are promoted into positions are then hired on aren't qualified to do their jobs. When they leave, it will be a rude wake-up call in the workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing the corps members and staff a large disservice thinking that long hours means high quality work is being accomplished. You would be better off investing in solid systems and people with no how which would enable you to reduce your administrative work force. Sites need to work smarter not harder. The culture encourages 60 hour work weeks for positions that need no more than 37.5 hours. Corps members who come through the ranks and are promoted into positions are then hired on aren't qualified to do their jobs. When they leave, it will be a rude wake-up call in the workforce.

very busy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosyou do the same work all the time

Consgreat org. with a great cause

Great time. Stressful at times and pretty much is what you make of it.

Corps Member (Former Employee)

ProsVery idealistic, strong sense of community, very introspective and receptive to feedback. The retreat was also a nice bonding activity for all corps members.

ConsA lot of the things that make City Year great also make it not so great. So, PITWs, all of the culture, long hours at times, high stress sometimes made the job annoying. But, you're helping children and their communities so it all evens out and I wouldn't have it any other way! I'm very grateful for my year of service.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more receptive to change and stop treating your corps members like children (TLs)

Tutor/Mentor

City Year Corps Member (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsEmpowering students, working on an energetic and passionate team, collaborating with teachers in and outside classrooms, understanding politics between socioeconimic and educational opportunities, the independence of running individual after school programs, the culture and commitment of City Year's mission and values, the Segal education award after completing 1700 hours with students.

ConsLong hours, takes a long time to receive, important data, time and pressure of meeting certain expectations in 10 months

Wonderful organization with strong mission.

City Year Corps Member (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsStrong and unique organizational culture and values. Belief in services to a cause greater than self. Great professional development opportunities.

ConsLow work/life balance. Average work week is 50-60 hours.

Inspirational Driven Organization

Corps Member (Current Employee)

ProsIncredible mission, organization, personal/professional development, fulfilling, effecive

ConsAt times communication from the top down can be a struggle

City Year

Pros- The students you will meet are the absolute best part and will ultimately be the reason you keep going

Cons- Work life balance is very difficult to maintain

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!