City Year Headquarters

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Brown

Life changing

Senior Corps Member (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at City Year Headquarters full-time for more than a year

ProsI have worked at CY for two years now as a corps member and I absolutely love it. The culture and support of the company is amazing. My first year, I got to work with high school students who were at risk of dropping out. I have never learned more about what I wanted to do with my life until I joined CY. This year, I lead corporate volunteers in beautifying communities across the country. Both jobs, have challenged me in different ways and has allowed me to grow.

Teamwork and culture are the best part.

ConsYou live on a stipend as a corps member and sometimes it is tough. However, you do get a $ 5,500 scholarship once you have completed one year.

It's not what you know, it's who brown noses

Accounting (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at City Year Headquarters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLove the idea of the company and you can be touched by the stories from the corps members.

ConsAs mentioned in many posts, you need to be someone's best buddy in order to get anywhere in this company. No recognition for your hard work. Sr Management could care less about the folks doing the work. The turn over is high due to "talented terrors" or "friends" being promoted to positions they have no idea how to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your turn over rate. That says a lot on your company.

company mantra focuses on appearances and doesn't address real issues.

I worked at City Year Headquarters full-time

ProsIf you work with the right people the experience can be tolerable to great. Some mid-level managers are really sharp and care about their employees.

ConsNot sure what to emphasize or where to begin; I could spend days on this. The review about Senior Leadership favoritism is absolutely true: the team has nearly doubled the last 4 years, and they are all 'yes' men who've been there forever. Rather than listing all the cons, I think I'll conclude by saying that there is a huge mantra of hiding problems rather than addressing them. They claim to be a data-driven organization but have few data, and a lot of it isn't that positive. They claim "diversity" to be one of their most precious values, but their Senior Leadership is 90% white, and I've yet to see more than hot air on the topic.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys need new blood: fresh faces, new ideas.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun place to work

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at City Year Headquarters full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople are open and friendly. You feel welcomed and at home immediately

ConsSalary is too low for Miami cost of living

Great mission but horrible leadership

I worked at City Year Headquarters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome good people, mission in theory is great. Pay is way above most non-profits.

ConsPoor leadership to the top level. I worked for Boston H.Q. and there are a lot of unethical things going on. Folks are screamed at outright in the workplace and management answers to no one.
As mentioned in other reviews, there is an endemic lack of respect for co-workers and Executive management is treated like royalty coming even with their own "handlers".
Should be an idealistic nonprof but it is more like a large corporation where everyone in upper management is worried about their own kingdom rather than the common good. The business model is to show donors the young faces of Corps. Members with school kids- which sells! Sadly, they do little to make a change but they get the money which is what counts for them.
Work there if you don’t really care about the mission and do not care about a respectful workplace since it does pay well. However, if you are truly looking for a good work environment- RUN!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new leadership! The young idealist kids make CY sadly, they are paid virtually nothing. Whereas management makes way too much - Double compared to local non-profits.

It's not going to get better unless people speak out

Philadelphia, PA

I worked at City Year Headquarters as a contractor for less than a year

ProsNone. It's a terrible place.

Cons-I actually worked at the Philadelphia site, but as all corps members know, most City Year staffers are TERRIFIED of everyone at Headquarters, to the point where they will lie to Headquarters, scream at corps members, and punish anyone who lets on to Headquarters what really goes on at City Year sites.

-For example, City Year holds a huge conference at the end of the school year every year for all of its members across the network (It's called Cyzygy). There are many Q-and-As with City Year management and the CEO will encourage corps members to ask questions and express their opinions. At the Philadelphia site, all Philadelphia employees were required to get their questions cleared by management and would be prohibited from speaking if Philadelphia didn't like their questions. It was all very Maoist.

-Corps Members also weren't really allowed to sleep during Cyzygy and we were only allotted 5-6 hours to sleep. One of my colleagues (who suffered from depression), complained to leadership that the lack of sleep was affecting her health. No one cared.

-Another example, during my corps year, a colleague of mine emailed Headquarters because she was displeased with the conference roommate arrangements. Philadelphia management found out about the email and pulled this woman into an office and berated her. "Now we have to keep [Headquarters] updated," they snapped. Being unused to any sort of accountability, City Year Greater Philadelphia was really displeased about telling Headquarters that their site was less than perfect.

Advice to Senior Management- Your staff is lying to you. You should look a little deeper at what is going on.

-My advice to current corps members: If you are being harassed or lied to at your site, call or email Headquarters with your complaints just for kicks. Yes, you will be punished at your site, but you can always quit and it will be empowering for you to get the top brass to listen to you. There's no reason a reading or math tutor should have to put up with psychological torture. Just invoke the whislerblower clause or something.

Best year experience to change your perspective on life.

Chicago, IL

I worked at City Year Headquarters full-time for more than a year

ProsCY is great to work at because the work you are doing directly impacts the students.

ConsThe pay isn't great when your friends are making tons more.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow and develop those LACY plans and getting Corps Member thinking about Life after CY.

City Year Greater Philadelphia

Philadelphia, PA

I worked at City Year Headquarters full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat energy, surrounded by other young idealists who share common interests, great PD.

ConsThe quality of employee varies from over qualified to embarrassingly underqualified. Leadership is not always clear and direct with explaining procedures or processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a well-educated core. Focus more on creating a strong workforce rather than the personal development of your workers. If you want students to show results than you can't hire so many underqualified employees with the hopes to develop them professionally. Give regular performance reviews and observations.

Not at all what was marketed

New York, NY

I worked at City Year Headquarters full-time for more than a year

ProsIt can make you feel like you're doing "good". It's certainly self-congratulatory enough

ConsPay, long hours, making minimal impact and maybe even doing more harm than good, very limited options to move on after

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest about what people are REALLY signing up for. Don't just care about the business clients, you also have to worry about your corps.

a life changing experince

Miami, FL

I worked at City Year Headquarters

Proslife changing, rewarding moments, great networking, amazing opportunities, great way to make life long friends.

Consstipend, living stituations, you might not get along with eevryone becasue everyone is different

Advice to Senior Managementbest experince i've ever had and I wouldn't have changed anything for those 2 years of my life!

Worked for City Year Headquarters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City Year Headquarters reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for City Year Headquarters CEO Michael Brown. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by City Year Headquarters employees.