City Year New York Reviews

1. Great Experience

Current Employee - Corps Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corps Member in New York, NY

I have been working at City Year New York full-time

Pros

Great experience and build great bonds with students.

Cons

Long hours and little pay but it's worth it.

2. Americorps

I have been working at City Year New York full-time

Pros

Lots of training, great way to make friends, and learn about the public education system

Cons

Heavy on culture, long hours, limited days off

Advice to Management

Great cause, treat corps members like adults

3. Great way to have an impact and #makebetterhappen

Current Employee - City Year Corps Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - City Year Corps Member in New York, NY

I have been working at City Year New York full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the students in the school is a really rewarding experience. Corps members (CMs) get ownership of their own lesson plans to run with their students, and there are lots of leadership opportunities for CMs who want to step up and challenge themselves more. City Year spirit is incredibly high, and while it may feel corny at times, it ultimately helps CMs stay motivated throughout the year.

Cons

The hours are really long each day, and it's easy to feel burnt out if you lose your motivation. Sometimes the trainings and the events within the organization itself feel irrelevant to service, but there's typically at least one or two things you can take with you back to your school to try with your students.

Advice to Management

It would be really helpful if there were more consistency across teams/zones in terms of enforcing rules and reprimanding CMs for being late, uniform violations, etc.

5. Definitely a challenging experience there were many ups and downs, but it prepared me greatly for the career I entered.

Former Employee - Corps Member in New York, NY

I worked at City Year New York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Impacting students lives and gaining very valuable professional experience that you cannot get anywhere else .

Cons

Pay is low, as you are a volunteer
    Depending on manager it's easy to feel unsupported
    Very demanding and draining at times

Advice to Management

Ensure you are checking in on the well-being of your corps members opposed to just meeting deadlines.

6. Dysfunctional administrators but overall a worthwhile experience

Former Employee - Corps Member in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at City Year New York full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with children, classroom and small group tutoring experience, afterschool program

Cons

DISORGANIZED, lack of communication between admin of school and CY people, lack of power in the classroom, waste of time with lots of useless activities planned by your bosses if you're a corps member, too much expected of each individual, incompetent CM's are not fired, no consequences enforced so lots of unprofessionalism

7. Worked as a people and operations intern at City Year New York. Was in charge of recruiting interns and event planning.

I worked at City Year New York

Pros

very upbeat and positive nonprofit organization. Feedback - giving and receiving feedback is a large part of their culture

Cons

Would have liked a more concrete job description

8. Corps Member

I worked at City Year New York

Pros

An opportunity to work in an under-served area and be able to do something meaningful. Many opportunities to network and connect with potential employers.

Cons

City Year enjoys making the year as difficult as possible for its corps members. Rules are not enforced equally among the corps members and there is little support for the work we did in schools.

Advice to Management

Corps members are the back bone of the organization and you need to appreciate them more.

Things that were so pointless and ridiculous I ask myself why I was still there. It's not for everyone.

I worked at City Year New York full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a role model for students and seeing their minds grow by the day.
    personal growth
    well surrounded team with different personalties.
    metro card

Cons

Right now I work in the Education Field. I work with mostly middle schoolers. I'm very happy where I am. Probably more happy than I've ever been................
    I can sit here and tell you about the great experiences I had with these students in my 8th grade. But I've learned after a month working for City Year that it's not based around the students. It's based around the city year lifestyle. It's about keeping up with things that don't matter. Things that are so pointless and ridiculous I asked myself why i was still there. When I found the after school space so pointless, the Friday workshops so unhelpful, the rule on wearing your jacket and having your backpack when you travel while in service, the feeling I get when people call it a job when I look it as a program that puts nothing but a hole in one pocket and hours that are far from reasonable. I already know other teaching programs are even more challenging without a doubt...but they actually get paid for the work they do.
    I can honestly say City Year isn't for everyone. You cannot adjust to the City Year lifestyle while having a personal life. I still remember the first day walking into training. I was like "......is this a joke?....". Being on time for first circle everyday. God forbid you didn't have your name tag on. Being "Squishy" at 730am. Right. I wont even talk about the $480 you make after 100 hours in two weeks. Lack of sleep or the ridiculous clothing.

Your experience will not depend on your students. It will depend on your PM and your TL.

If it wasn't for my students I would've left City Year the first few weeks of starting it. Not because I don't care for their Education but because I care about them, they're surroundings and where they're heading.

Advice to Management

The fact that people's experiences will depend on what kind of PM or TL they have is flat out ridiculous.
    People were getting written up for the most ridiculous things. Sad truth is that I haven't been written up once because of my cool pm. "Cool" as in understanding the bs.

My advice is..Treat it like a job. Be fair and understanding
    Forget the after school space. Focus more on lesson planning/interventions.
    Have one Friday a month for workshop skills.
    Leave the school when the students leave.
    Imagine from 7:30am to 2:30pm? Fantastic.

You can say what you want about my post. I really don't care. There are people who loved it and still do. This is based on my opinion and my experiences. Not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing.

10. A year youll never forget

I worked at City Year New York full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Personal growth, life long friends

Cons

No time to yourself, lack of money

Advice to Management

The culture is overwhelming

11. Great Working at City Year

I have been working at City Year New York

Pros

Team environment, working with children

Cons

Wages and living expenses

RSS Feed </> Embed