City Year

Be The First To
Add Photos

City Year President Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros:
  • "The students, the team I worked with, experience of working with a nonprofit and making a difference were all major pros to this experience"
    in 8 reviews
  • "5,550 AmeriCorps Education Award"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours worked with little recognition for efforts"
    in 35 reviews
  • "People put their all into the work which leaves little room for work life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful experience despite terrible management

Washington, DC

ProsBeing a resource to students is the best part - and it's the reason most people do the job. I worked in a school where I was needed and appreciated (although not everyone had the same experience), and making connections with kids is life-changing.
    Being on a tight-knit team.

ConsTrainings are horrendous, most are entirely too basic to actually help. Management categorically refuses to keep Corps members in the loop on even the most basic of issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication between higher ups and Corps members has to be better or else people won't recommend the organization to people.

Incredibly rewarding, challenging, and growing experience.

Corps Member/Team Leader (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsAs a Team Leader:
    - Sobrato AmeriCorps Subsidized Housing
    - The support from managers and Village team
    - Seeing the incredible impact and work your team does
    - Increase in stipend pay (appx. $75 bi-weekly increase)
    - Extremely humbling and growing experience
    - Networking/mentoring opportunities

As a Corps Member (this includes TL Role):
    - Grows you in indescribable ways (patience, strength and resilience, time management, leadership, empathy, etc.)
    - Free VTA monthly transit pass!
    - Qualify for food stamps (appx. $194/month)
    - Program Managers, Team Leaders, and Staff genuinely care about your well-being and work/life balance
    - Very strong culture, mission, and values that push the organization to be truly ethical, purpose-driven, and passionate (Could be seen as a con to others)
    - Traditional school calendar work dates

ConsAs a Team Leader:
    - Due in-part from socialization/fraternization rules and the few others in your position, strong feeling of isolation and loneliness throughout the year.
    - Added responsibility and challenge to balance being more of a middle manager.

As a Corps Member (this includes TL Role):
    - Rare to feel appreciated by the community and staff for your service (not to be expected but does make it harder)
    - The challenge and struggle it is to truly make an impact
    - The workload placed upon you is immense along with personal efforts to better support your students
    - 11 hour service days with 11 sick/vacation days for the year.

The most rewarding and challenging year of my life.

City Year Corps Member (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsBuild lasting relationships with students long after the year is over.
    Push yourself in ways you didn't think you could.
    Make a serious difference in the lives of the children you work with.

ConsLittle pay (but this isn't really a con because the idea is that you're volunteering essentially).
    Burned out coworkers who make the job harder.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for growth, both personally and financially.
    Don't sacrifice quality for quantity. It only hurts the students we serve.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great workplace environment and clear organizational mission

ProsThe best thing is by far the people. It is hard to find co workers and managers who care more about your professional development and wellbeing or who have a passion for the work like those that work for City Year.

ConsAlthough it should be clear when working for a non profit the sheer around of hours and low pay take a toll on the long term prospects of people who work for the organization.

City Year allowed me to finally understand the phrase "Talk is cheap."

Corps Member (Former Employee)

ProsCY lets you in on the ground floor on urban education. You get to know their families, their school admin, their school resource centers, their teachers, their after school program, their lunch lady and their janitor. Even though 11 hour days are hard to get used to at first, you will learn to appreciate the fact that you get to be with the kids all day and nobody else gets that chance. As a CY corps member, you get to be one of the few stable entities in a student's live for 10 months, and that is a huge deal when their life is filled with inconsistency.

My site was only in its second year, but I still had the chance to participate in MANY leadership opportunities and interact with the community.

ConsWhile the actual job of serving students on their campus (which is 85% of the job) is worth all the blood, sweat, and tears, the organization could use a lot of work when it comes to connecting with those on the front lines and those behind the scenes. Your program manager (and Team Leader) is with you at the school site, but the "office people" barely know what was up (again, I can only speak for my site). This showed most when it came to "office days." The benefits are horrible. Get on government assistance asap, you will earn every free service you get (food stamps, medical care, etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementTo those in the office: Talk is cheap. Be an idealist, not just an optimist like you preach to us.
    To those on the ground with us: Thank you for acting as a liaison between the office and the school, I couldn't do that gracefully, but you guys do it well.
    To both: You guys need to step it up with LACY (Leadership After City Year), I just left and it was very difficult to find the time to find a job. But, I found one, with full benefits (thank goodness).

Amazing Year of Service!

City Year Corps Member (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsChanging childrens live is worth it!

ConsLong hours, little to no pay!

Great mission - smart leaders, but poor HR practices

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe work this organization does is amazing. They have focused their impact in recent years and it is great to see the impact they have with children and in communities. I worked in the Boston headquarters and found most other HQ employees to be as passionate as those in the communities.

ConsWhile the leadership team is made up of very smart people, the HR practices can be disheartening - preferential hiring/promotions based on history rather than skills / recent contributions / capability. Poor judgment around setting up effective department structures.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a strong, professional head of HR to change the way you hire and manage your talent. Focus on talent, not history with the organization. Reward individuals with strong performance and manage the performance of those who are lacking.

Great Service and experience.. Horribly inept organization

Washington, DC

ProsWorking with the kids. Extremely eye-opening and positive experience with the children.

ConsAnything that has to do with the program was horrendous. From the creepy CEO, who hits on the young women relentlessly, to the ridiculously under-qualified staff; City Year is a farce of an organization. The road to hell is paved in good intentions.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

great culture, tough work, and idealism abound at City Year.

Operations (Current Employee)

Prosamazing culture, upbeat and positive co-workers, transparency, and diversity of the staff and corps.

Conspay, long hours, expectation of working beyond what is expected.

Advice to Senior Managementfor the leadership to lead by example when it comes to work-life balance.

Corps Member

Miami, FL

Pros-The students, the team I worked with, experience of working with a nonprofit and making a difference were all major pros to this experience. In addition they provide information for many other opportunities to volunteer or work after your service year.

Cons-Really long hours for just a stipend. It is hard to manage but definitely doable. I think the pros far outweigh the cons

Advice to Senior Management-Let those applying for such a serious commitment know more about what they are signing up for.

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City Year reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for City Year CEO Michael Brown. All 146 reviews posted anonymously by City Year employees.