City Year Reviews

Reset
3.6
City Year CEO Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
  • Love the idea of the company and you can be touched by the stories from the corps members (in 18 reviews)

• Truly concerned about personal and professional growth; feel like you are making a difference in students' lives; staff is very supportive (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with unpredictable unpaid overtime (including some weekends) (in 44 reviews)

• There is also a huge lack of consistency in City Year that breeds a lot of resentment between corps members (in 37 reviews)

1. Worth it

Pros

good culture, you grow to love your students.

Cons

working around state standards and sometimes the schools use CY corps members in ways that are unfair.

2. City Year Miami Corps Member

Former Employee - Academic Interventionist
    Former Employee - Academic Interventionist

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Professional Development! We received over 70 hours of professional/career development training on education, immigration, child development, social services, professional advice, etc. If you go into the training with the right attitude (ready to learn) you can gain much * Networking - there are many extremely talented, passionate, experienced individuals working in the entire City Year Miami staff from whom you can learn and build connections. Also on the whole very humble and approachable to questions * Student relationships. The connections that you build with your students will bring you joy and there's nothing more rewarding than seeing students make progress and positive changes * Team dynamic - My team was everything! I was on an unusually small team (5 members +TL) bc I was a first year school, but that allowed us to bond so much. We were a family - each of us worked SO hard and put in our 110% to carry out our City Year roles and responsibilities, supported one another at work and off, and built a great first-year partnership with our school. * Invaluable perspective into low-income neighborhoods, low-resourced schools, and misunderstood or underrepresented populations. I came from a state that is minimally ethnically/racially diverse into a school where I was a tiny minority, and I'm SO thankful for the chance to work with students and teachers from backgrounds I had little experience with before. Learning where your students are coming from to best learn how to motivate and support them was so fulfilling and enlightening for me * Leadership development. You cannot succeed as an Americorps volunteer without learning to step up to the plate in SO many ways. Wherever you start from in terms of comfort leading, initiating, pioneering projects, etc. you WILL grow in this role and be SO thankful for all those times your PM and TL pushed you even as you lose sleep and burn the midnight oil along the way * Education experience and training - I had NEVER taught before City Year and even though I still don't want to be a teacher, I am SO much more confident in my ability to teach (not just in the classroom either - mentoring is teaching too). I'm also more confident in my math skills! I got assigned to math (and was terrified) but don't doubt their assignments - just go with it and you'll be surprised how you can grow into and succeed in every challenge before you * Provide health insurance - big deal for me

Cons

* The stipend. It says living stipend, and means it. As in you will be able to live off of it with careful budgeting, but not much more. Definitely have roommates and apply for SNAP assistance while a Corps member - SAVED me. * No relocation stipend/help. I had to save all summer before moving to Miami and was still barely able to afford travel+housing expenses up front (save at LEAST $1000 to move) * LONG hours (50+) every week + high stress from deadlines and SO many roles/activities you're juggling every day. My experience WAS unique bc my team was so small and still had to maintain the roles and responsibilities of 10-15 member teams, but it's stressful for everyone * The students will often be hard. There are many who put up walls from the get-go and take unending patience, consistency, and firm affection to get through to. There will be students you work with the entire year and never connect with or ones who don't improve nearly as much as you want or know they can. You have to understand you are NOT their savior. You can do what you can to be the best role model/teacher/mentor to them, but at the end of the day they have other stuff going on in life you may not know about and make their own decisions. That was a hard lesson for me to learn * City Year Culture - not exactly a con, but for me as an introvert it is OVERWHELMING. Even to the end I would still feel stressed/a little out of place at whole corps events (with 250ish people) and gloried in the hour lunch breaks where I could try to get some alone time. City Year culture is equal parts inspiring/energizing AND exhausting/overwhelming for an introvert * Too much emphasis on appearances to me sometimes. I am an unpretentious, honest person, so making sure we put on our best front all the time was exhausting EX. At any public event or ceremony we were required to where our long sleeve button-up (sleeves down) with our CY bomber (zipped up to the City Year Logo) the entire time, be energetic, outgoing, smiling, and excited the ENTIRE time. Now, I get that we want people to see City Year as a group of idealistic, enthusiastic young leaders, but neither my leadership style nor my personality is that formal or outgoing. There were times when I felt overshadowed by the corps members who more easily slipped into that role bc they were often the ones seen and heard while us more introverted members were working just as hard and were just as passionate but in quieter ways. I sometimes felt pressured to act like someone I'm not. * City Year Miami is extremely spread out with North, Central, and South regions and as a proud member of the South Region (#dirtysouth #stonesoup) I often had to travel 1 - 2 hours ONE WAY to all corps training days bc they were always in central/northern Miami. The management said they were going to work on that for the 2015 - 2016 school year, so hopefully future South villagers will not have to deal with that every time training days roll around.

Advice to Management

* Raise the living stipend to account for inflation (this is directed more to head leadership) * Have training days in the South village at least 1/3 of the time. It's only fair that the other villages have to travel long distances as well instead of the South ALWAYS taking one for the team * Allow your introverted corps members to be introverted - even at events. Just bc we aren't always raising our hand to speak does NOT mean we are not listening, engaged, interested, or having meaningful comments. It just means we do not feel the need/feel uncomfortable sharing in such large company

3. Good organization and mission

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at City Year full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

City Year has ambitious goals and attracts the talent necessary to make it happen. There are a lot of great and smart people who believe in teamwork and youth.

Cons

The hours can be long so you have to pay attention to work life balance. Aside from that everything is good.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Students across the country are lucky to have such a thoughtful and caring organization on the job.

5. A very challenging but formative year.

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

You get what you put into it. You can make the most of your year or let the year happen to you. They're truly invested in your personal growth, so you definitely feel the support from many of the people you're around.

Cons

Long hours on a stipend is difficult. Lack of consistency among leadership styles which means where you get placed can hugely shape how your year turns out.

Advice to Management

More open communication across the board would be beneficial, as well as taking input from corp members to heart.

6. grueling, but rewarding

Pros

meeting service driven people with similar interests, incredible (yet sometimes frustrating) students

Cons

extremely long hours, corps members burn out quickly

7. Great experience

Former Employee - Corps Member in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Diversity, inclusion, passionate workers, direct interaction with students/schools, see a wide variety of areas of need.

Cons

Long hours and low pay. Some unqualified individuals and competitive among workers.

Advice to Management

More screening for workers. Increased pay

8. Project Leader

Former Employee - Corps Member in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great culture and people. Strong organizational ties to mission and vision.

Cons

Fair amount of employee turnover/burnout.

9. Corps Member

Former Employee - 2011 Corps Member in Mount Vernon, IA
    Former Employee - 2011 Corps Member in Mount Vernon, IA

I worked at City Year (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive Org. that really invest time into developing young people into leaders, and helps develop feedback circuits in people who have not experienced effective communication strategies before. lots of good work experience and service experience.

Cons

The culture can sometimes be a little cultish. However, I guess you have to believe in what you're selling, and CY sells culture like none other.

Advice to Management

Maybe sometimes chill with the culture, for maybe one day a year. It might help some of the people who are more into the service side.

10. Nice idea, sites need serious oversight

Pros

Nice program to help kids struggling in school. Altruistic and inspirational.

Cons

Lord of the Flies would describe the site I worked at. Free for all with site management which creates unnecessary chaos. Site manager and program managers with nominal experience means a great deal of the year was winging it. Add the fact that there are too many romantic relationships to count between staff and between corps members and you have the working environment equivalent of middle school. When issues are brought to ED and/or site manager, the person who brings them becomes a target for bullying, stalking and other harassment. Regional leaders and corporate leaders are ostriches with their heads in the sand when it comes to what goes on day to day. Senior leaders have true heart in the program, but the implementation needs serious oversight.

Advice to Management

Hire mature EDs with solid experience managing and guiding young people. Make sure site EDs and site managers understand various state labor laws, including harassment laws, and are committed to adhering to them. Take workplace bullying claims seriously. Corporate human resources leads in Boston could benefit from learning state labor laws as well. Hire stronger regional leadership that can provide better and closer oversight of sites.

11. Nice Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at City Year full-time

Pros

Meet new people, diversity, impact lives, help others, great opportunities.

Cons

long hours, boring trainings, working with no it all people, salary need to be higher , unorganized.

Advice to Management

you all need more organization and to lead by example .

RSS Feed </> Embed