City Year Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.6

City Year President Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
  • Love the idea of the company and you can be touched by the stories from the corps members (in 15 reviews)

• 5,550 AmeriCorps Education Award (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours worked with little recognition for efforts (in 40 reviews)

• Also - if Corps members around you decide to be negative, it's hard to fight it (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Great organization. The culture may not be for everyone, but if you give it time you'll probably fall in love with it.

Former Employee - Senior Corps Member  in  Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Senior Corps Member in Little Rock, AR

I worked at City Year for more than a year

Pros

The people, the history, the idealism being put to work.

Cons

Some of the organizational culture is plain silly and doesn't contribute much. Other parts of the culture are great and really add value.

Cut the culture things that don't add value and keep people from joining or continuing on. Publish the Idealist Journey.

Corps Member

I have been working at City Year

Pros

Fulfilling service, valuable experience with children, a great foot in the door experience to education as well as social work.

Cons

Long hours, next to no pay.

Great organization to work for, not for everybody.

Former Employee - City Year Corps Member  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in New York, NY

I worked at City Year as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Strong sense of idealism, a lot of dedication to professional and personal development, monthly metro cards provided for corps members, health insurance provided, large professional network, solid organizational culture, work is aligned with mission, even though there are many challenges, the organization is also trying to find ways to address them and create the best possible atmosphere

Cons

difficult to maintain a work-life balance, being put into diverse teams can be very challenging, management is not always responsive to corps member needs, at times they come off as dismissive and desensitized.

None at this time

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work/ life balance difficult

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

Helping students, making a difference

Cons

Hours worked vs pay. High turn over in staff. No good time to take a vacation. Limited professional growth options

Hardest, most rewarding year of my life.

I worked at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you're passionate about social injustices, city year is on top of all the issues. They work to change many injustices.

Cons

City year wants to do so much and wants their corps members to have such a huge impact that the CMs are spread too thin. I didn't feel like I could do any of the 20 roles I had to the very best of my ability.

Be a bit more lenient with the uniform policies. We're adults too, and dressing like the students doesn't make us feel empowered at all. And the students don't take us seriously.

Would do it again

Former Employee - Corps Member  in  Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Little Rock, AR

I worked at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very rewarding!! I loved the strong culture here (though some complained; it really depends on if you're into cult-like things, which I had been used to from prior non-profits). People from the community recognized and appreciated the City Year brand. Students, though difficult, made all the hard work worth it. Things differ greatly from site to site though.

Cons

Hard work, but it's expected. Wide variety of people who come to make a difference, not everyone can handle the workload so you may have some team members who don't put in as much work as you do. Some days are hard because you don't see the progress immediately. Sometimes had to do work on weekends, weeknights, etc.

HR Struggle

Former Employee - Corps Member  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

Experience with kids is irreplaceable and so rewarding. City Year offers a lot of networking opportunities across all spectrums of work and education.

Cons

Training, inconsistency, lack of professionalism. Low retention rate because they do not put in the time to develop people. Mixed messages and not a united front across the board.

A rewarding experience working as a Corps Member alongside like-minded individuals to lower the drop-out in America.

Former Employee - Corps Member  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Miami, FL

I worked at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a corps member you have the opportunity to engage with people who want to improve education for our America's youth. You are working together for a purpose, that is to make better happen in our communities and build relationships with coworkers, staff, teachers, and most importantly students. You will make an impact and see the difference you make in a year of national service.

Cons

This is a non-profit organization and as a volunteer you are paid a living stipend. Don't let this hold you back, you have the opportunity and accessibility to resources. You are working about 40+ hours a week, but every minute is worth it.

It was worth it.

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

Relationships that you build with students, teachers, the school, and your co-workers. Opportunity to see new places. Helping out kids. Opportunity for a young people to take on leadership roles.

Cons

The hours to pay ratio eventually catches up with you. Also there is some deception in the recruiting process (don't expect food stamps to be waiting for you on arrival). Process of placing corps members in schools could be improved.

Keep fighting the good fight and try to keep the promises that you make to the corps members,

Rewarding but no compensation

Former Employee - Corps Member  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Boston, MA

I worked at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with kids was very rewarding

Cons

Long hours, very minimal pay, "drink the Kool-Aid" mentality, AWFUL uniforms (that were not made for a woman's body)

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!