City Year Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
3.7

City Year President Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
  • Love the idea of the company and you can be touched by the stories from the corps members (in 17 reviews)

• High expectations for work with youth, which is hard to find in non-profits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours worked with little recognition for efforts (in 43 reviews)

• Also - if Corps members around you decide to be negative, it's hard to fight it (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Empowering

I worked at City Year

Pros

Truly concerned about personal and professional growth; feel like you are making a difference in students' lives; staff is very supportive!

Cons

Long hours, a lot is expected of you, sometimes without much recognition. Students can be hard to work with

Excellent place to work and grow

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at City Year full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at City Year for quite a while now and I cannot emphasize enough the amount of opportunities I've had to diversify my skills, take on new projects, and overall gain valuable leadership and management experience. The people I work with are incredibly smart which allows us to ensure we're all consistently kept in our challenge zones.

Cons

Change can sometimes move slow as molasses. The company is growing rapidly and often we pause to quadruple check everything when really it just needs to get out the door.

Empower you managers. There is far too much oversight which doesn't allow people to do their jobs.

Great mission, impossible to have dissenting view

I have been working at City Year

Pros

This is a wonderful mission, powered by enthusiastic corp members and a very very very strong culture. Pay typically seems above average, good benefits and hours are not usually long.

Cons

Senior Leadership values those who don't rock the boat, even when there are major issues.

Senior executives should actually conduct skip-level interviews to uncover some of the really bad behaviors that keep City Year from being as powerful as it could be.

Rewarding work with students, terrible team/work dynamic

Former Employee - Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at City Year full-time (more than an year)

Pros

City Year does offer a lot of training (almost a month in my case) and some of the classes were very helpful.
    Getting to experience a different school environment than I was brought up in
    Working one on one with unique students who all have a story to tell
    Seeing students improve
    Scholarship Money at the completion on your AmeriCorps Term of service

Cons

Don't like the team you were assigned to? Tough. Deal with it.
    Team Leader or Program Manager doesn't like you? Get ready for a bumpy year.
    VERY strict time off policies (yes this includes deaths, illness, MEDICAL APPOINMENTS, etc)
    A lot of the training does not prepare you for what to actually expect in schools. The trainings and ideas look great on paper but do not work at every school and definitely not with every student.
    Not able to intervene in dangerous situations.
    Expected that you stay past the end of the day if things were running late regardless of your life outside of CY
    Treated like a monster if you didn't agree with every political, social, religious, life value that the majority agreed with.
    If you're white, you're treated like you and only you have ever received privilege and you should feel guilty and ashamed for it, despite the fact that you're choosing to work in a school and mentor and tutor students.

Upper management in Boston really needs to consider the cost of living in each specific city and adjust stipends based on that. 450 before taxes twice a month is not enough to live in a safe, clean area in Philadelphia and feed yourself and keep the bills paid. 11+ hour work days for what a program manager called "illegal wages elsewhere" really do start to get to a corps member.

Good mission, poor execution

Former Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC

I worked at City Year full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a great AmeriCorps program - it's well respected outside of the community. The uniform is iconic.
    This job was a good after college job.

Cons

At least in the DC location, the upper management doesn't care at all about how they treat the corps members. It seems that they see CMs as unimportant since they are only there for a year. CMs are berated for not being able to sit for 8 hours during training days (ha, sorry, we're humans) and expected to be at school (at least in DC) from 8am until 6pm every day with a salary of under $1,000/month (AmeriCorps makes slave labor legal since it's volunteer work). There are no opportunities for personal growth. All of the presentations by in-company employees are obviously only done to fulfill requirements of AmeriCorps quotas for training/personal development hours.
    I cannot see how anyone does this for more than one year. The hours, terrible pay, and rotten apples in the staff make it hard to feel like an idealist.
    I would have quit by November if I didn't love the kids I worked with in the schools.

Care about the opinions of your corps members, see yourself as a change agent in the organization. Focus on diversity beyond race, and stand up when you hear homophobic/sexist/transphobic language. Be in schools more. Quit with the buzzwords - just make it obvious that you care.

Love it

Current Employee - Corps Member in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Providence, RI

I have been working at City Year full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is an amazing part of working here. You will learn things that will stay with you the rest of your life. Great professional atmosphere.

Cons

Long hours, poor compensation, but all for a great cause!

Great organization. The culture may not be for everyone, but if you give it time you'll probably fall in love with it.

Former Employee - Senior Corps Member in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Senior Corps Member in Little Rock, AR

I worked at City Year (more than an year)

Pros

The people, the history, the idealism being put to work.

Cons

Some of the organizational culture is plain silly and doesn't contribute much. Other parts of the culture are great and really add value.

Cut the culture things that don't add value and keep people from joining or continuing on. Publish the Idealist Journey.

Corps Member

I have been working at City Year

Pros

Fulfilling service, valuable experience with children, a great foot in the door experience to education as well as social work.

Cons

Long hours, next to no pay.

Great organization to work for, not for everybody.

Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in New York, NY

I worked at City Year as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Strong sense of idealism, a lot of dedication to professional and personal development, monthly metro cards provided for corps members, health insurance provided, large professional network, solid organizational culture, work is aligned with mission, even though there are many challenges, the organization is also trying to find ways to address them and create the best possible atmosphere

Cons

difficult to maintain a work-life balance, being put into diverse teams can be very challenging, management is not always responsive to corps member needs, at times they come off as dismissive and desensitized.

None at this time

Work/ life balance difficult

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City Year full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping students, making a difference

Cons

Hours worked vs pay. High turn over in staff. No good time to take a vacation. Limited professional growth options