City Year Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.6

City Year President Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
  • Love the idea of the company and you can be touched by the stories from the corps members (in 15 reviews)

• 5,550 AmeriCorps Education Award (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours worked with little recognition for efforts (in 40 reviews)

• Also - if Corps members around you decide to be negative, it's hard to fight it (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Incredibly rewarding, challenging, and growing experience.

Former Employee - Corps Member/Team Leader  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Corps Member/Team Leader in San Jose, CA

I worked at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a Team Leader:
    - Sobrato AmeriCorps Subsidized Housing
    - The support from managers and Village team
    - Seeing the incredible impact and work your team does
    - Increase in stipend pay (appx. $75 bi-weekly increase)
    - Extremely humbling and growing experience
    - Networking/mentoring opportunities

As a Corps Member (this includes TL Role):
    - Grows you in indescribable ways (patience, strength and resilience, time management, leadership, empathy, etc.)
    - Free VTA monthly transit pass!
    - Qualify for food stamps (appx. $194/month)
    - Program Managers, Team Leaders, and Staff genuinely care about your well-being and work/life balance
    - Very strong culture, mission, and values that push the organization to be truly ethical, purpose-driven, and passionate (Could be seen as a con to others)
    - Traditional school calendar work dates

Cons

As a Team Leader:
    - Due in-part from socialization/fraternization rules and the few others in your position, strong feeling of isolation and loneliness throughout the year.
    - Added responsibility and challenge to balance being more of a middle manager.

As a Corps Member (this includes TL Role):
    - Rare to feel appreciated by the community and staff for your service (not to be expected but does make it harder)
    - The challenge and struggle it is to truly make an impact
    - The workload placed upon you is immense along with personal efforts to better support your students
    - 11 hour service days with 11 sick/vacation days for the year.

Great workplace environment and clear organizational mission

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing is by far the people. It is hard to find co workers and managers who care more about your professional development and wellbeing or who have a passion for the work like those that work for City Year.

Cons

Although it should be clear when working for a non profit the sheer around of hours and low pay take a toll on the long term prospects of people who work for the organization.

Amazing Year of Service!

Current Employee - City Year Corps Member  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - City Year Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

Changing childrens live is worth it!

Cons

Long hours, little to no pay!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Experience of my Life

Current Employee - City Year Corps Member  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - City Year Corps Member in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

Where else in the world do you get to be apart of changing the lives of children for the better. You get the opportunity to gain loads of quality experience. You will receive lots of training, get the opportunity to meet and build relationships with people you would have never imagined. Stick it out to the end and it will all be worth it.

Cons

You get the job, what you put into it...so if you don't put in a lot of effort, you won't get a lot from it. You will work really long hours and earn very little pay. Additionally, the job will take a toll on you emotionally, mentally and physically if you are truly invested and there will be times you feel its not worth all the effort.

Incredibly challenging, but it will most certainly change your life.

Current Employee - Corps Member  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Detroit, MI

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will look back at the year and be proud of yourself. You get to work full-time in incredibly challenged schools (no teaching experience required), work alongside some of the most inspiring people you could meet, and have access to tons of opportunities to grow yourself professionally and as a leader.

Cons

At times you'll get frustrated with City Year as an organization, but it's a non-profit and you have to be able to let those things go if you want to keep your sanity. If you can do that, you'll be just fine.

Be grateful for and respectful to corps members who give a year of their lives

Powerful service performed by normal people.

I worked at City Year

Pros

You get to see a lot of issues with education, and then be able to work with a team to try to address these issues. A lot of different outlooks, a lot of different people, from different environments, all coming together to make our cities a better place. It's like an ultimate team.

Cons

You are kept extremely busy, and if your heart isn't in the service, you will not make it. You will cry, you will want to scream, but by the end of the day, if you have made impact on at least one kid, to have one kid tell you that you made their life better, it all becomes worth it.

Keep up the powerful service and make sure that your Corps Members feel that you are there with them in their service.

One of the most rewarding and challenging experiences you'll ever have.

Current Employee - Corps Member  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

This will be one of the greatest, most challenging, and rewarding experiences in your life working alongside some of the greatest people you'll ever meet.

Cons

Be prepared to jump in and live your life with City Year, there's a difficult work-life balance and the more you realize it will take over the better it will be. The long hours are draining, but worth it and the pay isn't good but that's the point.

Life changing

Current Employee - Senior Corps Member  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Corps Member in Boston, MA

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked at CY for two years now as a corps member and I absolutely love it. The culture and support of the company is amazing. My first year, I got to work with high school students who were at risk of dropping out. I have never learned more about what I wanted to do with my life until I joined CY. This year, I lead corporate volunteers in beautifying communities across the country. Both jobs, have challenged me in different ways and has allowed me to grow.

Teamwork and culture are the best part.

Cons

You live on a stipend as a corps member and sometimes it is tough. However, you do get a $ 5,500 scholarship once you have completed one year.

Great organization, constantly evolving but overall you can't go wrong

I worked at City Year

Pros

The people and the mission make City Year what it is!

Cons

Not the best work/life balance, but it's for a great cause.

Team Leader

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great professional development, good place to start a career in the education or nonprofit field

Cons

Long hours, hard work, not much pay (because it is funded by AmeriCorps)

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!