City Year

Updated November 12, 2014
3.7

City Year President Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
  • Love the idea of the company and you can be touched by the stories from the corps members (in 17 reviews)

• Helping students, making a difference (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours worked with little recognition for efforts (in 44 reviews)

• Also - if Corps members around you decide to be negative, it's hard to fight it (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience for young people

Current Employee - Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at City Year full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Opportunities to manage people your own age, as well as your peers.
    -Good opportunities for innovations because my department (Impact) is open to new suggestions and ideas.
    -Great camaraderie and support among Program Managers
    -Very important, meaningful work

Cons

-Very little formal professional development or training for staff
    -Little room for advancement to Director-level positions
    -Poor top-down communication
    -Low pay and somewhat low morale

Higher pay and more staff support

Great place to work

Former Employee - Development Manager
    Former Employee - Development Manager

I worked at City Year full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great cause, constantly challenged to do your best with a wonderful, supportive network

Cons

Work-life balance could be improved

Great place to work at an entry level position and start a career in the non-profit world.

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at City Year full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It should be noted that a lot of the pros and cons vary from site to site and only a few things are similar across the sites.
    Great place for entry level employees
    Decent health insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) after 6 months
    Great maternity leave benefits
    Overall is a friendly, people-focused place to work
    Transparent and one of the few companies where everyone gets to give feedback to everyone else, including their superiors.
    Great culture and values, generally great senior leadership
    Growing company with more opportunities as it grows.
    Great opportunities to work at other non profits after working at City Year for a few years
    Young, energetic, idealistic co-workers, surrounded by young idealists (the Corps Members) on a regular basis.

Cons

For entry level employees:
    Some opportunities to grow with the organization but only within certain departments
    There is a culture of overworking people which causes early burnout
    Lack of a real flex time policy, meaning that like in most companies, people's time and energy are exploited.

Create a real, meaningful, useful flextime policy
    Work against a culture of working through lunch and past 5 pm on a regular basis
    Create a way to retain entry level employees to become midlevel employees; better pay than the tiny salary bumps that people get year-to-year

Great impact, frustrating bureacracy snd politics

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at City Year full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work in a sector that had a profound impact on peoples lives and a chance to take on significant responsibility.

Cons

The environment can be very gossipy and toxic. People are constantly positioning themselves for promotions and egos can get in the way of doing whats best for students.

Focus on creating a stronger culture for staff and provide better training and support for staff to do their work.

Former Corps Member

Former Employee - Corps Member
    Former Employee - Corps Member

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

Have a chance to make a real difference in the lives of urban kids who really need it.

Cons

Leaving the students at the end of the year is very difficult.

Keep on seeking all the feedback from below !

Empowering

I worked at City Year

Pros

Truly concerned about personal and professional growth; feel like you are making a difference in students' lives; staff is very supportive!

Cons

Long hours, a lot is expected of you, sometimes without much recognition. Students can be hard to work with

Rewarding work with students, terrible team/work dynamic

Former Employee - Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at City Year full-time (more than an year)

Pros

City Year does offer a lot of training (almost a month in my case) and some of the classes were very helpful.
    Getting to experience a different school environment than I was brought up in
    Working one on one with unique students who all have a story to tell
    Seeing students improve
    Scholarship Money at the completion on your AmeriCorps Term of service

Cons

Don't like the team you were assigned to? Tough. Deal with it.
    Team Leader or Program Manager doesn't like you? Get ready for a bumpy year.
    VERY strict time off policies (yes this includes deaths, illness, MEDICAL APPOINMENTS, etc)
    A lot of the training does not prepare you for what to actually expect in schools. The trainings and ideas look great on paper but do not work at every school and definitely not with every student.
    Not able to intervene in dangerous situations.
    Expected that you stay past the end of the day if things were running late regardless of your life outside of CY
    Treated like a monster if you didn't agree with every political, social, religious, life value that the majority agreed with.
    If you're white, you're treated like you and only you have ever received privilege and you should feel guilty and ashamed for it, despite the fact that you're choosing to work in a school and mentor and tutor students.

Upper management in Boston really needs to consider the cost of living in each specific city and adjust stipends based on that. 450 before taxes twice a month is not enough to live in a safe, clean area in Philadelphia and feed yourself and keep the bills paid. 11+ hour work days for what a program manager called "illegal wages elsewhere" really do start to get to a corps member.

Excellent place to work and grow

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at City Year full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at City Year for quite a while now and I cannot emphasize enough the amount of opportunities I've had to diversify my skills, take on new projects, and overall gain valuable leadership and management experience. The people I work with are incredibly smart which allows us to ensure we're all consistently kept in our challenge zones.

Cons

Change can sometimes move slow as molasses. The company is growing rapidly and often we pause to quadruple check everything when really it just needs to get out the door.

Empower you managers. There is far too much oversight which doesn't allow people to do their jobs.

Good mission, poor execution

Former Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC

I worked at City Year full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a great AmeriCorps program - it's well respected outside of the community. The uniform is iconic.
    This job was a good after college job.

Cons

At least in the DC location, the upper management doesn't care at all about how they treat the corps members. It seems that they see CMs as unimportant since they are only there for a year. CMs are berated for not being able to sit for 8 hours during training days (ha, sorry, we're humans) and expected to be at school (at least in DC) from 8am until 6pm every day with a salary of under $1,000/month (AmeriCorps makes slave labor legal since it's volunteer work). There are no opportunities for personal growth. All of the presentations by in-company employees are obviously only done to fulfill requirements of AmeriCorps quotas for training/personal development hours.
    I cannot see how anyone does this for more than one year. The hours, terrible pay, and rotten apples in the staff make it hard to feel like an idealist.
    I would have quit by November if I didn't love the kids I worked with in the schools.

Care about the opinions of your corps members, see yourself as a change agent in the organization. Focus on diversity beyond race, and stand up when you hear homophobic/sexist/transphobic language. Be in schools more. Quit with the buzzwords - just make it obvious that you care.

Great mission, impossible to have dissenting view

I have been working at City Year

Pros

This is a wonderful mission, powered by enthusiastic corp members and a very very very strong culture. Pay typically seems above average, good benefits and hours are not usually long.

Cons

Senior Leadership values those who don't rock the boat, even when there are major issues.

Senior executives should actually conduct skip-level interviews to uncover some of the really bad behaviors that keep City Year from being as powerful as it could be.