City Year Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
3.7

City Year President Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
  • Love the idea of the company and you can be touched by the stories from the corps members (in 17 reviews)

• High expectations for work with youth, which is hard to find in non-profits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours worked with little recognition for efforts (in 43 reviews)

• Also - if Corps members around you decide to be negative, it's hard to fight it (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Work/ life balance difficult

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City Year full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping students, making a difference

Cons

Hours worked vs pay. High turn over in staff. No good time to take a vacation. Limited professional growth options

Hardest, most rewarding year of my life.

I worked at City Year full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're passionate about social injustices, city year is on top of all the issues. They work to change many injustices.

Cons

City year wants to do so much and wants their corps members to have such a huge impact that the CMs are spread too thin. I didn't feel like I could do any of the 20 roles I had to the very best of my ability.

Be a bit more lenient with the uniform policies. We're adults too, and dressing like the students doesn't make us feel empowered at all. And the students don't take us seriously.

Would do it again

Former Employee - Corps Member in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Little Rock, AR

I worked at City Year full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very rewarding!! I loved the strong culture here (though some complained; it really depends on if you're into cult-like things, which I had been used to from prior non-profits). People from the community recognized and appreciated the City Year brand. Students, though difficult, made all the hard work worth it. Things differ greatly from site to site though.

Cons

Hard work, but it's expected. Wide variety of people who come to make a difference, not everyone can handle the workload so you may have some team members who don't put in as much work as you do. Some days are hard because you don't see the progress immediately. Sometimes had to do work on weekends, weeknights, etc.

HR Struggle

Former Employee - Corps Member in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at City Year full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Experience with kids is irreplaceable and so rewarding. City Year offers a lot of networking opportunities across all spectrums of work and education.

Cons

Training, inconsistency, lack of professionalism. Low retention rate because they do not put in the time to develop people. Mixed messages and not a united front across the board.

A rewarding experience working as a Corps Member alongside like-minded individuals to lower the drop-out in America.

Former Employee - Corps Member in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Miami, FL

I worked at City Year full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a corps member you have the opportunity to engage with people who want to improve education for our America's youth. You are working together for a purpose, that is to make better happen in our communities and build relationships with coworkers, staff, teachers, and most importantly students. You will make an impact and see the difference you make in a year of national service.

Cons

This is a non-profit organization and as a volunteer you are paid a living stipend. Don't let this hold you back, you have the opportunity and accessibility to resources. You are working about 40+ hours a week, but every minute is worth it.

It was worth it.

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

Relationships that you build with students, teachers, the school, and your co-workers. Opportunity to see new places. Helping out kids. Opportunity for a young people to take on leadership roles.

Cons

The hours to pay ratio eventually catches up with you. Also there is some deception in the recruiting process (don't expect food stamps to be waiting for you on arrival). Process of placing corps members in schools could be improved.

Keep fighting the good fight and try to keep the promises that you make to the corps members,

Rewarding but no compensation

Former Employee - Corps Member in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Boston, MA

I worked at City Year full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with kids was very rewarding

Cons

Long hours, very minimal pay, "drink the Kool-Aid" mentality, AWFUL uniforms (that were not made for a woman's body)

Worth it for the kids

Former Employee - Corps Member in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Chicago, IL

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

Get to meet amazing kids, a great program to give back to the community

Cons

Unreasonable expectations for time, I felt like my time was wasted outside of the classroom, staff was extremely unprofessional at times (gossiping about corps members etc)

Wonderful experience despite terrible management

Former Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC

I worked at City Year full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being a resource to students is the best part - and it's the reason most people do the job. I worked in a school where I was needed and appreciated (although not everyone had the same experience), and making connections with kids is life-changing.
    Being on a tight-knit team.

Cons

Trainings are horrendous, most are entirely too basic to actually help. Management categorically refuses to keep Corps members in the loop on even the most basic of issues.

Communication between higher ups and Corps members has to be better or else people won't recommend the organization to people.

Challenging and dynamic environment, I felt successful here but also overwhelmed a lot of the time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at City Year full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people - if you are new to the area and looking to meet people and network this is a great place, personal growth depends on your manager and your work ethic

Cons

The atmosphere is fast paced and because this is a larger national non-profit there is constantly changing and sometimes conflicting information. Managers need to listen to staff and also hear them.

Staff correctly for growth :)