City Year Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.6

City Year President Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
  • Love the idea of the company and you can be touched by the stories from the corps members (in 15 reviews)

• 5,550 AmeriCorps Education Award (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours worked with little recognition for efforts (in 40 reviews)

• Also - if Corps members around you decide to be negative, it's hard to fight it (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

City Year allowed me to finally understand the phrase "Talk is cheap."

Former Employee - Corps Member
    Former Employee - Corps Member

I worked at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

CY lets you in on the ground floor on urban education. You get to know their families, their school admin, their school resource centers, their teachers, their after school program, their lunch lady and their janitor. Even though 11 hour days are hard to get used to at first, you will learn to appreciate the fact that you get to be with the kids all day and nobody else gets that chance. As a CY corps member, you get to be one of the few stable entities in a student's live for 10 months, and that is a huge deal when their life is filled with inconsistency.

My site was only in its second year, but I still had the chance to participate in MANY leadership opportunities and interact with the community.

Cons

While the actual job of serving students on their campus (which is 85% of the job) is worth all the blood, sweat, and tears, the organization could use a lot of work when it comes to connecting with those on the front lines and those behind the scenes. Your program manager (and Team Leader) is with you at the school site, but the "office people" barely know what was up (again, I can only speak for my site). This showed most when it came to "office days." The benefits are horrible. Get on government assistance asap, you will earn every free service you get (food stamps, medical care, etc.)

To those in the office: Talk is cheap. Be an idealist, not just an optimist like you preach to us.
    To those on the ground with us: Thank you for acting as a liaison between the office and the school, I couldn't do that gracefully, but you guys do it well.
    To both: You guys need to step it up with LACY (Leadership After City Year), I just left and it was very difficult to find the time to find a job. But, I found one, with full benefits (thank goodness).

Best Experience of my Life

Current Employee - City Year Corps Member  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - City Year Corps Member in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

Where else in the world do you get to be apart of changing the lives of children for the better. You get the opportunity to gain loads of quality experience. You will receive lots of training, get the opportunity to meet and build relationships with people you would have never imagined. Stick it out to the end and it will all be worth it.

Cons

You get the job, what you put into it...so if you don't put in a lot of effort, you won't get a lot from it. You will work really long hours and earn very little pay. Additionally, the job will take a toll on you emotionally, mentally and physically if you are truly invested and there will be times you feel its not worth all the effort.

Amazing Year of Service!

Current Employee - City Year Corps Member  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - City Year Corps Member in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

Changing childrens live is worth it!

Cons

Long hours, little to no pay!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great culture, tough work, and idealism abound at City Year.

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at City Year full-time

Pros

amazing culture, upbeat and positive co-workers, transparency, and diversity of the staff and corps.

Cons

pay, long hours, expectation of working beyond what is expected.

for the leadership to lead by example when it comes to work-life balance.

Corps Member

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at City Year

Pros

-The students, the team I worked with, experience of working with a nonprofit and making a difference were all major pros to this experience. In addition they provide information for many other opportunities to volunteer or work after your service year.

Cons

-Really long hours for just a stipend. It is hard to manage but definitely doable. I think the pros far outweigh the cons

-Let those applying for such a serious commitment know more about what they are signing up for.

Unrewarding

Current Employee - Corps Member
    Current Employee - Corps Member

I have been working at City Year full-time

Pros

-Work with kids
    -met some friends through school teams

Cons

Unsustainable model in which corps members leave after usually 1 year when students they work with are kind of left to fend for themselves

Good intentions but horrible outcome. Be honest and understand the long-term negative implications to the organization.

Great Service and experience.. Horribly inept organization

Former Employee - Corps Member  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC

I worked at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with the kids. Extremely eye-opening and positive experience with the children.

Cons

Anything that has to do with the program was horrendous. From the creepy CEO, who hits on the young women relentlessly, to the ridiculously under-qualified staff; City Year is a farce of an organization. The road to hell is paved in good intentions.

Quit.

Incredibly challenging, but it will most certainly change your life.

Current Employee - Corps Member  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Detroit, MI

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will look back at the year and be proud of yourself. You get to work full-time in incredibly challenged schools (no teaching experience required), work alongside some of the most inspiring people you could meet, and have access to tons of opportunities to grow yourself professionally and as a leader.

Cons

At times you'll get frustrated with City Year as an organization, but it's a non-profit and you have to be able to let those things go if you want to keep your sanity. If you can do that, you'll be just fine.

Be grateful for and respectful to corps members who give a year of their lives

Rewarding service, if you can keep your heart in it.

I worked at City Year

Pros

The opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others while being supported by a caring staff and team.

Cons

Pay is low, and hours can be long. Very easy to burn out, or to retreat into cynicism. City Year has an extremely strong culture that may not be for everyone.

Long and helpful journey

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

City Year is an organization that helps you grow in personal and professional ways. The people working there believe in the mission and each other which allows you to have a shared experience and many mentors. You have many opportunities available to you which can leave you feeling drained and tired, but it is worth the journey.

Cons

As with any organization, there are internal politics and some people that do not live up to the values which, depending on the level of those individuals, can pollute the working environment. With the stress and intensity of the work people can make poor choices and harm relationships. As a whole though, the people working their try to keep the working environment positive.

Fewer goals and more on-going professional development on helping people with leading and management skills will continue to help the "Cons" mentioned here.

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!