City Year Reviews

Updated August 7, 2014

3.6

City Year President Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
  • Love the idea of the company and you can be touched by the stories from the corps members (in 15 reviews)

• 5,550 AmeriCorps Education Award (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours worked with little recognition for efforts (in 40 reviews)

• Also - if Corps members around you decide to be negative, it's hard to fight it (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the most rewarding and challenging experiences you'll ever have.

Current Employee - Corps Member  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

This will be one of the greatest, most challenging, and rewarding experiences in your life working alongside some of the greatest people you'll ever meet.

Cons

Be prepared to jump in and live your life with City Year, there's a difficult work-life balance and the more you realize it will take over the better it will be. The long hours are draining, but worth it and the pay isn't good but that's the point.

Life changing

Current Employee - Senior Corps Member  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Corps Member in Boston, MA

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked at CY for two years now as a corps member and I absolutely love it. The culture and support of the company is amazing. My first year, I got to work with high school students who were at risk of dropping out. I have never learned more about what I wanted to do with my life until I joined CY. This year, I lead corporate volunteers in beautifying communities across the country. Both jobs, have challenged me in different ways and has allowed me to grow.

Teamwork and culture are the best part.

Cons

You live on a stipend as a corps member and sometimes it is tough. However, you do get a $ 5,500 scholarship once you have completed one year.

Fun and Diverse Environment

I worked at City Year

Pros

The reward of helping children and the community. Meeting new people and participating in a variety of team building activities, as well as informative workshops.

Cons

50+ hours per week for very little money. I personally did not agree with the location of a specific workshop. The topic of the workshop was not suitable and was offensive to me while being held at a certain location.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Orlando site needs some work. Not worth it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

unique experience to serve and help communities in need. opportunity to learn how to budget. opportunity to practice managing up. food assistance (SNAP) guaranteed during service...if you plan ahead you won't be hungry.

Cons

Not really about the students. long hours for no reason. very political. low pay (stipend is small but manageable). Lack of respect from staff ppl. staff cater to most under developed/ unprofessional...enables/encourages immature behavior. unprofessional training sessions. Cult mentality when corps members ask questions. disregard for suggestions made by federal agents during random routine audit. you aren't trained to do what they ask you to do. PT Crew= step team = dance squad = twerk team.

Have external consultants train staff in everything. Attempt consistency.

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Corps Member  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Orlando, FL

I have been working at City Year full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great relationship building and invaluable experiences

Cons

Petty Work environment during training. Upper-management does not treat Corps-members like adults. Pay is very little for working so hard. Allotted very little time to spend with family.

I expected more

I worked at City Year

Pros

Very socially conscious, very connected to the community, and the potential to do substantial good for people who need it. Can be very demanding, but in a good way. Relatively easy to see the impact of your work.

Cons

A lot varies depending on what city you're in. From what I've heard, some cities have fantastic staff and team members, whereas others have hired team members that are extremely unprofessional on a daily basis. At my site, I never had a problem with any of the staff: they were all fantastic, really approachable people, who were always willing to help out or provide guidance in terms of my objectives.

Having said that, you get worked like a dog if you're a team member (I can't say for staff, but I can imagine it'd be similar). Expect weekend work and overtime.

I'd suggest a no-tolerance policy for team members regarding behavior and professionalism.

Corps Member

Current Employee - Senior Corps Member
    Current Employee - Senior Corps Member

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best part is working with the students and developing relationships with them. You learn a lot about yourself and the world around you. You develop a lot as a person and leader. The education stipend at the end is a great bonus as well. And you get a lot of free stuff.

Cons

Extremely long hours and very little money. Also - there are a lot of rules that can be seen as constraining. Also - if Corps members around you decide to be negative, it's hard to fight it. Negativity and gossip can become a disease among the Corps members that can negatively affect your experience. Also - self care can become difficult.

Be flexible with the Corps members, and keep the mental health of the Corps members a priority.

Great Experience for Corps Members

I have been working at City Year

Pros

- Build Proffesional Skills
    - Network with others from across the country
    - Learn about non=profits
    - Have a meaningful experience

Cons

- Long hours
    - Strict polocies
    - Wide range of skill levels you may work with

Rewarding, but challenging.

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

Put into the fire, come face-to-face with some of the biggest problems facing our country and its development. Opportunity to really grow if you're up for it.

Cons

City Year has a very rigid structure, which has brought them a lot of success but often leaves corps members feeling constrained and controlled. Also, this is not a "reward for performance" kind of job. You can only rely on yourself for motivation and appreciation -- its a thankless job.

Allow more freedom for corps members to define their own journey instead of defining it for them.

Awesome experience.

Current Employee - Corps Member  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City Year full-time for more than a year

Pros

This job sets you up for possible future careers. A lot of leadership and network opportunities.

Cons

Challenging hours and hard work, but rewarding experience.

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!