City Year Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Corporate Partnerships

I have been working at City Year

Pros

Great company culture Great team Lots of room to improve within network

Cons

Broken systems Miscommunication between HQ and site, as well as within site

2. Impact Manager

I have been working at City Year full-time

Pros

Manage a team of excited young people, opportunities to lead projects, requires creative problem solving

Cons

Lots of employee turn over

Advice to Management

Hire local employees if possible, people with a vested interest in the community

3. Pay/ Type of Work

I have been working at City Year

Pros

One of the most enriching experiences you could ever do! Connects you to a large network of alumni during and after service for career opportunities.

Cons

One of the most physically, emotionally, and mentally taxing jobs you can ever do. You are expected to work very long hours with minimal pay (stipend) and very low appreciation for the work that you do.

5. Corps

I have been working at City Year part-time

Pros

Working with these students has been incredibly rewarding. I learned a lot about myself. I learned a lot about education and the political side. It made me mentally stronger. The really want you to be connected and want you to feel some sort of success.

Cons

It is probably one of the hardest things to do. You work plus 50 hours a week. A lot of your work goes unappreciated. You see some things and experience trauma you never thought you could. There is a lot of stress on weird cultural things.

6. hard, rewarding work

I have been working at City Year full-time

Pros

work on a team with shared goals, provide greatly needed services to students, partner with families and other community organizations

Cons

low pay, long hours, sometimes hard to feel valued

I guess I grew as a person?

Former Employee - Corp Member in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Corp Member in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at City Year (Less than a year)

Pros

You will be working with students 40+ hours a week. If this is the sort of thing you're looking for, you might consider this a plus. Daily calisthenics! Some of the middle management and fellow corp members were some of the greatest people I've ever met.

Cons

Exploitative pay: I was paid less than 200 a week for full time work, (which often turned into 50 hour+ work weeks.) Terrible Uniform: Uniform is an unprofessional hodgepodge of Timberland products and a fast food name tag. Lack of Training: Much of the time spent before being inserted into a school was spent playing "feelings" games (which, don't get me wrong, have their time and place). I was never taught how to tutor or teach or manage a classroom. This fact was complained about nearly constantly by all corp members, nothing was done to rectify it. "Diversity Decisions": Diversity in the workplace is essential, but asking black corp members to move to a different city and serve in a different, predominantly white corp in order to appear more diverse is just offensive. Statistics: The corp touts their total number of man hours served in schools as an indication of making a difference, regardless of the actual effect, positive or negative, our presence had. Dishonest Recruitment: That we were working in a school was downplayed during the recruitment process. I was told that corp members would spend upwards of 10 hours in the classroom each week, but class time was 90% of the job. Incompetent recruitment: Bearing in mind that this is an educational non-profit, I had co-workers who were illiterate, unfamiliar with basic math, completely incapable of communicating in a professional setting, and would inexplicably vomit without warning (that part was kind of weird). Creepy Culture: The office culture demanded the use of inane buzzwords, non-words, chants, songs, and other micro-cultural artifacts imported directly from a handbook written by corporate in Boston.

8. Well intentioned, but Management Problems

I have been working at City Year full-time

Pros

Learning experience, work directly in high-need schools

Cons

Poor management, poor training, lack of support or positive incentives from staff

Advice to Management

Listen to corps members, form trainings around the actual needs of corps members, engage alumni more

9. Corps Member

I have been working at City Year

Pros

It is an overall fun experience helps you notice things about yourself that you gave not realized you can do.

Cons

The hours are very hectic and can range from an eight hour day to a 15 hour day in some cases so you will never know what you will get on specific day

10. Tough but worthwhile

Former Employee - Corps Member
    Former Employee - Corps Member

I worked at City Year

Pros

Great life experience, challenging, eye opening. Amazing gap year experience between high school and college or college and...real life. Education award helps with future school plans.

Cons

Ridiculously small living stipend forced corps members to get government hand outs (food stamps). Long hours. Favoritism.

Advice to Management

It's been a long time since I was a corps member. I imagine many improvements have been made.

11. Amazing place to learn and grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at City Year full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing, talented people who are driven by what they do. Strong organizational culture that brings people together.

Cons

Growth opportunities can be limited for certain roles.

Advice to Management

Start paying more competitive salaries at site level. Continue to invest in operational efficiency.

RSS Feed </> Embed