City Year

Be The First To
Add Photos

City Year President Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • Love the idea of the company and you can be touched by the stories from the corps members (in 15 reviews)

• 5,550 AmeriCorps Education Award (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours worked with little recognition for efforts (in 40 reviews)

• Also - if Corps members around you decide to be negative, it's hard to fight it (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Ups and Downs

Corps Member (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat relationship building and invaluable experiences

ConsPetty Work environment during training. Upper-management does not treat Corps-members like adults. Pay is very little for working so hard. Allotted very little time to spend with family.

I expected more

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery socially conscious, very connected to the community, and the potential to do substantial good for people who need it. Can be very demanding, but in a good way. Relatively easy to see the impact of your work.

ConsA lot varies depending on what city you're in. From what I've heard, some cities have fantastic staff and team members, whereas others have hired team members that are extremely unprofessional on a daily basis. At my site, I never had a problem with any of the staff: they were all fantastic, really approachable people, who were always willing to help out or provide guidance in terms of my objectives.

Having said that, you get worked like a dog if you're a team member (I can't say for staff, but I can imagine it'd be similar). Expect weekend work and overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd suggest a no-tolerance policy for team members regarding behavior and professionalism.

Corps Member

Senior Corps Member (Current Employee)

ProsThe best part is working with the students and developing relationships with them. You learn a lot about yourself and the world around you. You develop a lot as a person and leader. The education stipend at the end is a great bonus as well. And you get a lot of free stuff.

ConsExtremely long hours and very little money. Also - there are a lot of rules that can be seen as constraining. Also - if Corps members around you decide to be negative, it's hard to fight it. Negativity and gossip can become a disease among the Corps members that can negatively affect your experience. Also - self care can become difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe flexible with the Corps members, and keep the mental health of the Corps members a priority.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience for Corps Members

Pros- Build Proffesional Skills
    - Network with others from across the country
    - Learn about non=profits
    - Have a meaningful experience

Cons- Long hours
    - Strict polocies
    - Wide range of skill levels you may work with

Rewarding, but challenging.

Team Leader (Former Employee)

ProsPut into the fire, come face-to-face with some of the biggest problems facing our country and its development. Opportunity to really grow if you're up for it.

ConsCity Year has a very rigid structure, which has brought them a lot of success but often leaves corps members feeling constrained and controlled. Also, this is not a "reward for performance" kind of job. You can only rely on yourself for motivation and appreciation -- its a thankless job.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more freedom for corps members to define their own journey instead of defining it for them.

Awesome experience.

Corps Member (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThis job sets you up for possible future careers. A lot of leadership and network opportunities.

ConsChallenging hours and hard work, but rewarding experience.

A meaningful, powerful learning experience that is emotionally draining

Corps Member (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros- Exciting nature of working in a classroom
    - Experience working closely with a team
    - Delving deep into the field of education
    - Great networking opportunities both in education and not

Cons- Long hours with unpredictable unpaid overtime (including some weekends)
    - Stress from parents/kids
    - Government Stipend was pretty low

Great organization, constantly evolving but overall you can't go wrong

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people and the mission make City Year what it is!

ConsNot the best work/life balance, but it's for a great cause.

Challenging, but worth it

Corps Member (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCity Year gave me the opportunity to work in schools in a unique and rare capacity. Every day was different; I got to work on some amazing projects through our Friday service days and form strong relationships with students in my in-school service. I also formed a strong connection to my city and developed a deep and nuanced understanding of the complex challenges it faces.

ConsThe bureaucratic and stringent rules can be taxing and infantilizing. The pay is low (albeit, survivable) and the schedule is exhausting (some of this is, I think, to be expected for a year of national service). I sometimes felt less than supported by the staff and program managers I worked with. I sometimes felt frustrated by the lack of organization and hit-or-miss communication among the corps, staff, and leadership. However, the I think the pros of this experience outweighed the cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementCity Year is at its best if it supplies Program Managers and staff who are compassionate, supportive, wise, and good communicators.

underpaid overworked loved the kids

City Year Corps Member (Former Employee)

ProsThe connections that you build with students and teachers are amazing and your fellow corps members can change your life.

ConsNo work life balance, often times you will become frustrated because of systematic hurdles you have to jump because upper management feels like it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time understanding the day to day life of a corps member

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!