City Year

Be The First To
Add Photos

City Year President Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • The students, the team I worked with, experience of working with a nonprofit and making a difference were all major pros to this experience(in 8 reviews)

• There is support from corps members, team leaders, program managers, ect(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours worked with little recognition for efforts(in 37 reviews)

• Also - if Corps members around you decide to be negative, it's hard to fight it(in 28 reviews)

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful experience despite terrible management

Corps Member (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsBeing a resource to students is the best part - and it's the reason most people do the job. I worked in a school where I was needed and appreciated (although not everyone had the same experience), and making connections with kids is life-changing.
    Being on a tight-knit team.

ConsTrainings are horrendous, most are entirely too basic to actually help. Management categorically refuses to keep Corps members in the loop on even the most basic of issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication between higher ups and Corps members has to be better or else people won't recommend the organization to people.

Great Service and experience.. Horribly inept organization

Corps Member (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWorking with the kids. Extremely eye-opening and positive experience with the children.

ConsAnything that has to do with the program was horrendous. From the creepy CEO, who hits on the young women relentlessly, to the ridiculously under-qualified staff; City Year is a farce of an organization. The road to hell is paved in good intentions.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

One of the most rewarding and challenging experiences you'll ever have.

Corps Member (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThis will be one of the greatest, most challenging, and rewarding experiences in your life working alongside some of the greatest people you'll ever meet.

ConsBe prepared to jump in and live your life with City Year, there's a difficult work-life balance and the more you realize it will take over the better it will be. The long hours are draining, but worth it and the pay isn't good but that's the point.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

City Year is alright in my book

City Year Corps Member (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAmazing professional development
    Strong culture and values

ConsNo monetary compensation for all of the hard work we do

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize yourselves

Finding yourself, while serving a community who NEEDS you!

City Year Corps Member (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsChance to push yourself! (the work is HARD), Forming friendships, building leadership skills, working with a team, and learning more about yourself, and of course developing relationships with and seeing the kids everyday!

ConsLong hours, ALOT of hard work dealing with the students, but it's worth it if you can handle the challenge. It's not for everyone! Especially those who aren't willing to be with the kids 10hrs + a day.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider how plans/systems implement trickle down to ground-level, how that plays out and how it might affect individual sites, larger stipend!

You can't predict your experience.

Corps Member (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWorking with young minds, making a difference in people's lives, practice leadership, practice teamwork, create your own programs.

ConsPossibility of terrible school environment

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus recruitment on either college grads or high school students. Differentiate roles based on experiences and education.

Misguided nonprofit with suffocating culture

Corps Member (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsMeet some interesting people, gain experience working in schools that need a lot of help. Get to plan and organize volunteer events in the community. A good opportunity to work with children and learn about teaching. You get a unique view of the problems that face public schools in America today.

ConsAwful, suffocating, cult-like culture that is embarrassing to anybody with self-respect. Basically a year-long summer camp. Organization tries to straddle the fence by achieving results in the classroom and hiring unqualified individuals who become "professional development" projects. This just results in a lot of lazy and inexperienced workers quitting or getting fired. What a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide whether you want results or "professional development" to be the focus of your work

An opportunity filled with challenges that have helped me develop into a better leader and person.

Corps Member (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThere is no other education-based non-for-profit organization that is as hands on and effective as City Year. I have been given multiple Life After City Year trainings to help me develop professionally, and I have been given numerous community service opportunities that have challenged me and helped me grow. The best part though is knowing your hard work has a direct effect on a young person's life.

ConsThe most difficult things about working at City Year are the hours and people with whom we work. The regular work day at City Year is about 10 hours, but it is easy to find yourself clocking in with 60 or more hours in a week. The other difficult part are the children with whom we work. The rude attitude of some of the students, or knowing that they are dealing with things outside of school no child should.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management at City Year DC is phenomenal. They are supportive, upbeat, and ready to help corps members out in any capacity.

Personally fulfilled, professionally unfulfilled

Recruitment Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDoing great work for youth

ConsThe work is tiring and can be insular

Worked for City Year? Contribute to the Community!