City of Albuquerque

CEO

City Bus Driver

Former Employee - City Bus Driver in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - City Bus Driver in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at City of Albuquerque full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay and benefits. City policies toward workers are fair, such as safety, and work environment accommodations.

Cons

Lateral mobility inter-departmentally is stifled somewhat. Rehires at the same department are rare, even if leaving amicably. For some reason there is a vindictive attitude toward those who leave the department. Upward mobility is political. It's not what you know, but who you know.

Political, Bureaucratic, and No personal ownership within Municipal Development

Current Employee - Transportation Project Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Transportation Project Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at City of Albuquerque full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Good pay for entry level engineers out of college. (although lower than average for public sector Professional Engineers)

-PERA retirement (Basically you contribute 4% and you can retire in 30 years)

-Lower than average medical and dental premiums

-The city is a fairly big organization, so in theory there are other divisions and departments you can move around to find something that works for you.

-You can literally never get fired, even if you are utterly worthless. (Although I would consider this more of a con for people who want to do a good job)

Cons

-Leadership is terrible. The culture is very self serving, and you only exist to be thrown under the bus when a project goes bad. When you do a good job, all the praise goes to the managers so they can boost their political status.

-Bureaucratic. Literally, there is no collaboration whatsoever. Things take painfully long, and because tasks get passed down through long chains of incompetent people, it ends up being like a game of telephone where nothing makes sense and you can't just talk to the person who is making the request to get them what they truly want. I've seen it described as, "Bring me a rock"......."No not that rock! A different one!". This is a good analogy.

-Working downtown sucks. Paying to park sucks even more.

-Pay raises are very small (1% every two years or so)

-In my opinion, there are ALOT of dumb people. I can't think of a better way of describing it, but I constantly feel like I am playing on the C team, instead of Varsity. Obviously, there are exceptions, but those people are the ones that tend to leave for other organizations

-Even though you may be an experienced engineer who knows the proper way to design and build projects, there will be no second thought given to your recommendations, and they will instead be scrapped for the ideas of high ranking people or special interest groups who have no idea what they are doing. Again, this is due to the "me first" attitude and constant political game that managers are trying to win by appealing to those above them.

Improve the culture to be more collaborative. There is no reason to have managers exist just so they can be the intermediary between two people. This is wasteful, slow, inefficient, and always leads to communication problems. If a Councillor wants a project done, let the project managers (who are engineers and know what works and what doesn't) meet with them to get a grasp of the goals they are trying to achieve.

One of the best pieces of advice I have gotten is to worry more about impressing the people who work for you than the one who work above you, and promotions, advancements, peer respect, etc. will take care of themselves... The culture at DMD is entirely the opposite of this and that needs to be changed.

Working at the City is good.

I have been working at City of Albuquerque full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great retirement benefits and schedules

Cons

Office culture, moral, and leadership.

UNM Golf course internship (city of albuquerque)

Former Employee - UNM Golf Course in UNM, NM
    Former Employee - UNM Golf Course in UNM, NM

I worked at City of Albuquerque as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

The people/ customers are usually pleasant, laid back, easy work,

Cons

No chances to work you're way up, pay isn’t always good, job can get boring quickly.

Some people have worked here a long time and want to move up. moving up somebody unqualified or fresh out of highschool with no work experience isn't wise.

Great place for a career is Customer Service

Former Employee - Administrative Services Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Administrative Services Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at City of Albuquerque part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn of the community condition, and how to participate in making it better.

Cons

Lots of challenges, not enough time.

More continuing education opportunity is a must in the changing world..

What a mess

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at City of Albuquerque full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You meet some very dedicated people

Cons

Most of the assignments are politically engineered. About 80% of the staff works and the top 20% are there because of political relationships and payback. Most of the technology management spend their days smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee and are absolutely the most terrible people in the world

Clean house

A very positive and learning environment.

Current Employee - Faciltiy Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Faciltiy Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at City of Albuquerque full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

learning how government contracts work and how to maintain multiple facilities on a limited budget. The city has a good retirement plan.

Cons

long hours, blue collar union, working with inexperienced and unqualified personnel. Working with aged facilities and new facilities that have had projects valued engineered.

Horrible experience

Former Employee - Former Vet Tech in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Former Vet Tech in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at City of Albuquerque full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A great place to start as a student hands on, good place for experience in the field as it's a high-volume spay and neuter shelter environment.

Cons

Understaffed and completely out of control. Substandard facilities. Corrupt in a lot of aspects. A few of the techs are very two-faced and will undermine you about your skills when they should worry about their own job. Management was horrible, the clinic manager there at the time was an absolute, unstable nut case who couldn't handle working with people directly. Was given tasks that didn't fully utilize my education and even felt more like a slave at times then an actual tech. There are "too many cooks in the kitchen" and you don't even know who's a supervisor and who isn't.

Please don't treat the animals like they are only work. Hire a clinic manager who can handle the stress of a shelter environment. Also, keep tabs on employees who constantly gossip and undermine those who actually want to work.

Limited opportunities for advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at City of Albuquerque

Pros

Worked with some good people

Cons

You cannot count on ambition and hard work to paying off.

It is a great experience.

Current Employee - Community Center Supervisor
    Current Employee - Community Center Supervisor

I have been working at City of Albuquerque

Pros

Good People
    Good Deadlines
    Great events
    Good Environment
    IT IS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK WITH GREAT UPPER MANAGEMENT, YOU JUST HAVE TO WORK HARD.

Cons

I HAVE BEEN HERE FOR 3 YEARS PART TIME BECAUSE OF SCHOOL AND BUT I DONT BELIEVE THEY WANT TO GIVE ME A FULL TIME JOB.

They need to have a little more advancement for younger worker. Give full time jobs to people that deserve it not people that have been there for years.