City of Alexandria Virginia

City of Alexandria Virginia Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mid-size local government, room to grow if you look for opportunities

Analyst (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

Proswork-life balance, flexible work schedules, generally good senior management, opportunities for growth/exposure to executive leadership, public facing

Conspolitical, salary discrepancies between departments, aging management is sometimes not attuned to needs of younger staff

Advice to Senior Managementembrace more telework opportunities, invest in better IT infrastructure, and explore more cross-seeding employees (allowing flexibility to advance careers through experience in other departments)

Great at first

Recreation Leader II (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsGood benefits, great coworkers and schedules.

ConsNew Management took over. RPCA lost 30% of their people while senior management gave themselves 6% raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Human Resources
    Please be careful who gets hired.

Little opportunities for promotion for women

ProsThis is a very wealthy local government with a lot of money to throw at managers and very little requirement or incentive to create efficiency in the delivery of services.

ConsIf you anticipating a career where you start in a less skilled position and then move into a higher skilled position -- don't, this isn't the place for you. All of the persons employed in an administrative (secretarial) capacity are women. I know of very few woman who have managed to crack the glass ceiling and make it into entry level management jobs. The City is rife with cronyism in the hiring and promotional process. An entitled management demands unlimited work from stressed and overburdened support staff, operates from an "on high" without any sense of democracy the need for collaboration in the assignment of work to woman in support positions. Very paternalistic and dependent on the notion that input from non exempt staff is akin to insubordination.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the very least if you aren't going to offer training and promotional opportunities for non exempt women Try to remember you are in pubic service sooo......Go get your own cup of coffee and stop asking me to serve you food and drink.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The City could do better for its employees.

Law Enforcement (Former Employee) New Alexandri, PA

ProsMy department was great. The work life balance is good in general.

ConsThe City management is pretty poor and has been for years. Employees seem to be an afterthought when making budgetary decisions.

Disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co workers, decent schedule, some supervisors did not forget where they came from. Stellar services provided to residents and visitors.

ConsOverpaid managers that don't produce. Have to pay more for mediocre benefits and retirement that were once employer paid. High turnover. 10% of the employees do 90% of the work. Each year you fall further behind financially and can't catch up.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Pay the people that do the work more and they will stay. You waste more money trying to hire people to do the work.

At one time this was a great place to work.

DCHS Staff (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsPay is good for the area; co-workers are great, work as a team; good benefits.

ConsManagement is out of touch with staff; top heavy, too many managers, not enough lower level staff; favoritism is out of control; management is aware of problems but continue to ignore the issues; managers will retaliate against anyone who speaks out, the whistleblower policy is a joke as is the ethics measures put into place in recent years, they are ineffective due to managers continuing to not be held accountable.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your staff; take action.

Antiquated

Prossense of community, experience, mostly good caring people, interesting work, flexibility in hours, good benefits, good retirement plan, that's it.

Constoo much bureaucracy, sense of entitlement, change resistant, favoritism, stuck in the past, two steps forward, three steps back in terms of getting things done. Can move forward with a project only to have it end at the last minute. Very risk adverse.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what's right for the City and citizens, not what a few loud disgruntled voices want

Working with the City of Alexandria was extremely satisfying and offered tremendous room for growth.

Recreation Leader I (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsLots of opportunities across the department to become involved in. Pretty clear and easy line of communication regarding any possible concerns. Management has changed for the better recently.

ConsWorking for the City of Alexandria can be tough to get your foot in the door as often the majority of hires are actually re hires but they have to go through the "hiring process." Unfortunately you'll never know what is going on until you receive an email months down the road.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe up front about rehires.

Good organization with great benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsGood health benefits, competitive salaries, opportunities for growth. New City Manger encourages innovation, team work and values all employees.

ConsSome directors have been in positions too long and are operating in archaic thought processes that only make sense to them and no one else.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide quality leadership training to all management. Make it mandatory for middle managers and department heads to attend leadership and management training together to foster better work relationships and mutual respect.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsTelecommuting is an option that the City provides its employees

ConsPromotional Opportunites are hard to come by

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice needed to be given to management

Worked for City of Alexandria Virginia? Contribute to the Community!